The Samsung Galaxy S24
j5k's profile

Teacher

• 

1 Message

Friday, August 10th, 2012 12:15 AM

Closed

Samsung Galaxy S3 Not Receiving Calls - Phone issue or Android issue?

I just got a Samsung S3 a week ago.  I have received calls and texts on it, but it appears that I am missing calls.  Somebody tried calling me 6-7 times in a row in a 30 minute time span yesterday and it never rang, and only one of those showed up as a missed call.  Today, the same thing happened again with two calls, and neither appeared in my missed call log.  They sent a text and it didn't appear until about 20 minutes after it was sent.

I live in a built up area where there should be good coverage, and looked at the map and am rated as "best coverage."  In the past six months, there were maybe two incidents at most when my old phone (not a smart phone) did not ring.  I have a normal amount of bars on my phone.

During both of these incidents, my phone was not in use, and the ringer was on with sufficent volume.

Does anybody have any recommendations for solving this?

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

I have the same issues as everbody else. Replacing the SIM card and phone does not help. I have been experimenting with disabling WIFI and Mobile Data and only turning them on when needed ( WIFI if at home or WIFI spot ( a bar usually) or turn on Mobile Data if no WIFI. Turning on WIFI is a simple key stroke on the GS3. Previously, I was missing 20-25% of the calls. It has been one week since I started the experiment and have not missed a call. I just wish ATT would just officially come out and acknowledge there is and issue and they are working on it.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Anyone in the New Jersey area experiencing this too? Because, I am. My SGS3 will barely make phone calls at all.

It connects to 4g with all bars and then within 10 secs the signal drops to 1 bar then no 4g, then it drops to G and

then E after that. Can't connect to the internet or anything.

AT&T, FIX this! You have loyal customers here who are very VERY ANGRY!

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Per 21stNow's comment:
"The return/exchange period is 14 days, not 30."

I purchased my phone from best buy so they accept returns up to 30 days. You are correct if I purchased the phone from AT&T. The only honor a 2 week return policy.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

Did anyone hear back from ATT yet on when its gonna be fixed?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

This is an update to my posting last night I went into the AT&T Warranty Exchange office today in Las Vegas and was lucky that the store manager was the one that waited on me. As soon as I told her what was happening she knew about the problem and told me she had a bunch of customers that already came in. She said AT&T was aware of the problem and it is with their network software and they are working on it and that there is nothing wrong with the phones. I told her about the idts from AT&T I spoke to last night. Anyway the manager from the Warrenty exchange store is welll versed and she was nice and apoligized. But you all can be assured that AT&T is working on the problem and is aware of it.

n5374f wrote:

I was on the conference call with AT&T Wireless Support level 2 and Samsung Tech Support Level 3 and as always AT&T blamed Samsungs hardware and Samsung Blamed AT&T LTE software, AT&T denied they had any information that there is a problem, the proble is this:

IF WIFI IS ENABLED ALL CALLS GO DIRECTLY TO VOICE MAIL, IF WIFI IS TURMED OFF CALLS ARE RECEIVED NORMALLY A WORK AROUND IS AFTER RECEIVE A CALL IF CAN GET ONE IS AFTER ARE DONE WITH THE CALL TURN ON AIRPLANE MODE FOR 60 SECONDS THEN TURN IT OFF WITH WIFI ENABLED IT WILL WORK YOU NEED TO DO THIS AFTER EACH CALL SO OBVIOUSLY THE PROBLEM IS WITH AT&T NOT THE PHONE

AT&T SUPPORT ALSO DOES NOT READ THESE FORUMS AND COULD NOT CARE LESS,, THESE FORUMS ARE MADE TO HAVE THINK AT&T CARES

THE SOLUTION THEY OFFERED ME IS TO CALL ASSURANE AND PAY $199 FOR A NEW PHONE OR WIFI OFF AND GET AN UNLIMITED DATA PLAN AT MY EXPENSE

AT&T SUCKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Hi n5374f,

This is exactly what's been happening to my Galaxy S3! It's so annoying that I had to turn ON Wifi only when I NEED it just so I can be sure to receive any incoming calls or sms. I don't think it's Samsung's fault, for I have also got a brand new replacement from the device support center due to this ongoing malfunction and the new phone is also having this problem. 😞

Scholar

• 

90 Messages

11 years ago

Hi guys. 

i am sadden by the fact that ATT are not "fully" aware of it. 

i am almost certain that we will not get a fix from them any time soon. 

untill this will blow over and be posted on sites like engadget etc 

then wit the publicity they will be forced to take action. 

i have done some deep testing on this matter. 

here are my findings and also a solution THAT WILL GET YOU WITH WIFI ON WITH NO ISSUES.

please read carefully. 

research done (before fix) [fix will posted at the end]

testing calls information technical overview: 

wifi on - no call test: 
Signal strengh: -73dbm 20asu
mobile network type: LTE:14

wifi on - testing call: 
Signal strengh: -91dbm 15asu
mobile network type: umts:3

CALL RECEIVED SUCCESSFULLY. 

wifi OFF, mobile data on - no call test: 
Signal strengh: -73dbm 20asu
mobile network type: LTE:14

wifi OFF, mobile data on - testing call: 
Signal strengh: -85dbm 15asu
mobile network type: UMTS:3

AVAILABLE ON OTHER LINE BUT DOES NOT RING !!

*** important to mention, i was on LTE and as soon as i tried calling my phone it went to 4G, LTE:14 changed to UMTS:3 but the phone did not ring. as soon as i hung up the phone on the phone i was calling from the phone that did not ring went back form 4G to LTE

conclution: 
i have isolated the issue too occur only if you are on lte network.

You're phone will not ring if you are on lte network when a call is made to you're phone.

reason, phone/network fail to seperate the LTE from 4g aka DATA vs voice.

Again, not all suffer from this.

In the meanwhile you can bandaid this issue by temporarily disable lte until a fix is found.

Here is how:
1) With phone on, take off back cover and press your SIM card so it releases from the spring. It won't come all the way out as it's blocked by the battery. This seems fine - I didn't bother trying to force it out as I didn't want to break anything...
2) Once you see the message that the SIM card is removed, go to the dialer and dial *#2263#
3) You should see a menu with band selections. The current setting is "Automatic". If you switch to "GSM All", you will be EDGE (2G). If you switch to "WCDMA All", you will be on HSPA+ (3G, though AT&T and others call it 4G).
4) Press the SIM card back into place until it clicks. For whatever reason the phone will not recognize it until you reboot. Upon reboot you should see your new setting in effect

that way you can use WIFI and still get calls. 

hopefully "someone" will get this issue fixed. 

this is driving me nuts 🙂 

remember, that code is programming code, so be carefull. 

Explorer

• 

23 Messages

11 years ago

I am also surprised that customer service including level 2 support said that they are not aware of the issue, which has been discussed actively in an AT&T own forum here. I did spend time explaining the issue and gave them my opinion that the LTE network seems to be the culprit. Level 2 support didn't seem to be any more knowledgeable than Level 1 support. Instead they were adamant that the network is perfect and said that the problem must lie with either Android or Samsung. How likely is it when I still encounter the issue even with a replacement phone?

Explorer

• 

23 Messages

11 years ago

And to the forum moderator, please remove 'solved' status from this topic. This issue is clearly not resolved.

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

Got my GS3 in early December and upgraded to JB 4.1 shortly after. Started having the same issue described by everyone here immediately. Last week had my SIM changed and that has not helped. The phone and text issues are both happening with me. Incoming calls may not even hit voicemail, I have been told that it sometimes sounds like a busy signal which is not good when one is expecting potentially important phone calls. I went to a newly opened Device Support Center here in Columbus, OH today and they told me immediately that there is an issue with ALL phones running 4G/LTE on the ATT network that run JB 4.1. 

She told me that there is a patch being worked on and apparently they have also found that JB 4.2 works with 4G/LTE just fine. She could not tell me when there is an expected fix. 

My question to Jamileh (apparently the ATT Community Manager) is, if ATT knows that JB 4.2 would fix this issue, why has that not been rolled out to us yet? I do not anger easily but if I am waiting on someone to contact me about a job interview or if a family member is in trouble for some reason I do not want to have to wonder whether or not my phone is going to work as I have paid for it (and am paying monthly) to. If JB 4.2 works please roll that out. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

This does not appear to be an AT&T only problem.  I have Sprint service and have the same problem.  I believe it is the operating system on the phone. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.