The Samsung Galaxy S24
j5k's profile

Teacher

• 

1 Message

Friday, August 10th, 2012 12:15 AM

Closed

Samsung Galaxy S3 Not Receiving Calls - Phone issue or Android issue?

I just got a Samsung S3 a week ago.  I have received calls and texts on it, but it appears that I am missing calls.  Somebody tried calling me 6-7 times in a row in a 30 minute time span yesterday and it never rang, and only one of those showed up as a missed call.  Today, the same thing happened again with two calls, and neither appeared in my missed call log.  They sent a text and it didn't appear until about 20 minutes after it was sent.

I live in a built up area where there should be good coverage, and looked at the map and am rated as "best coverage."  In the past six months, there were maybe two incidents at most when my old phone (not a smart phone) did not ring.  I have a normal amount of bars on my phone.

During both of these incidents, my phone was not in use, and the ringer was on with sufficent volume.

Does anybody have any recommendations for solving this?

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

For what it is worth, I've been having this same issue since the update to jelly bean and I am no where near St. Louis. For those of you that have added another APN, are you now receiving phone calls when connected to wi-fi?  I only had the problem when my wi-fi was connected.  I didn't receive texts or email notifications either.  Anyone else have that issue? 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

I was on the conference call with AT&T Wireless Support level 2 and Samsung Tech Support Level 3 and as always AT&T blamed Samsungs hardware and Samsung Blamed AT&T LTE software, AT&T denied they had any information that there is a problem, the proble is this:

IF WIFI IS ENABLED ALL CALLS GO DIRECTLY TO VOICE MAIL, IF WIFI IS TURMED OFF CALLS ARE RECEIVED NORMALLY A WORK AROUND IS AFTER RECEIVE A CALL IF CAN GET ONE IS AFTER ARE DONE WITH THE CALL TURN ON AIRPLANE MODE FOR 60 SECONDS THEN TURN IT OFF WITH WIFI ENABLED IT WILL WORK YOU NEED TO DO THIS AFTER EACH CALL SO OBVIOUSLY THE PROBLEM IS WITH AT&T NOT THE PHONE

AT&T SUPPORT ALSO DOES NOT READ THESE FORUMS AND COULD NOT CARE LESS,, THESE FORUMS ARE MADE TO HAVE THINK AT&T CARES

THE SOLUTION THEY OFFERED ME IS TO CALL ASSURANE AND PAY $199 FOR A NEW PHONE OR WIFI OFF AND GET AN UNLIMITED DATA PLAN AT MY EXPENSE

AT&T SUCKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I also am having the same. Amongst these issues, as i dial out it beeps and the message "Call ended" appears. Then when I return to dial out again a prompt on my phone pops up stating "Emergancy calls only" I have addressed these problems with AT&T, I had the sim card repalced, reset the phon, booted and yet it still continues. I know others that have the GS3 belonging to other carriers, ie: Sprint and so on with out these problems.This is most definatly a network issue with AT&T., and for the money I pay, I would like it solved or its jump ship.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

This is an update to my posting last night I went into the AT&T Warranty Exchange office today in Las Vegas and was lucky that the store manager was the one that waited on me. As soon as I told her what was happening she knew about the problem and told me she had a bunch of customers that already came in. She said AT&T was aware of the problem and it is with their network software and they are working on it and that there is nothing wrong with the phones. I told her about the idts from AT&T I spoke to last night. Anyway the manager from the Warrenty exchange store is welll versed and she was nice and apoligized. But you all can be assured that AT&T is working on the problem and is aware of it.

@n5374f wrote:

I was on the conference call with AT&T Wireless Support level 2 and Samsung Tech Support Level 3 and as always AT&T blamed Samsungs hardware and Samsung Blamed AT&T LTE software, AT&T denied they had any information that there is a problem, the proble is this:

IF WIFI IS ENABLED ALL CALLS GO DIRECTLY TO VOICE MAIL, IF WIFI IS TURMED OFF CALLS ARE RECEIVED NORMALLY A WORK AROUND IS AFTER RECEIVE A CALL IF CAN GET ONE IS AFTER ARE DONE WITH THE CALL TURN ON AIRPLANE MODE FOR 60 SECONDS THEN TURN IT OFF WITH WIFI ENABLED IT WILL WORK YOU NEED TO DO THIS AFTER EACH CALL SO OBVIOUSLY THE PROBLEM IS WITH AT&T NOT THE PHONE

AT&T SUPPORT ALSO DOES NOT READ THESE FORUMS AND COULD NOT CARE LESS,, THESE FORUMS ARE MADE TO HAVE THINK AT&T CARES

THE SOLUTION THEY OFFERED ME IS TO CALL ASSURANE AND PAY $199 FOR A NEW PHONE OR WIFI OFF AND GET AN UNLIMITED DATA PLAN AT MY EXPENSE

AT&T SUCKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

I am in the Cleveland Area and we have AT&T LTE network active in our area. The problem didn't seem to exist when I first got my Galaxy S3 a couple of weeks ago. I upgraded to the 4.1.1 OS version about a week after I got the phone but didn’t notice any problems immediately after the upgrade. In the recent days, I have notice that it takes 5-7 seconds (longer than expected) to connect outgoing calls, usually when calling my voicemail. Half of the time these outbound calls would fail. This is what sparked my interest to test with problem.  My wife got the iPhone 5 at the same time I upgrade to the Galaxy. So these are my findings:

• I attempted to call my voicemail 5 out of 10 times the call failed to connect/never connected with a "Call Ended".
  • Incoming calls either go right to voicemail or more times than not, go right to a fast beep (not a busy signal, sounding like the number is out of order).
  • If a incoming call was going to successfully, the caller (from land line and cellphone) would ring about 2-4 times before my phone would start to ring
  • I attempted to call the cellphone with a land line and an automated voice message responded with an "unable to complete your call
  • I am able to repeat this issue with a 50% rate doing all test cases, incoming and outgoing, using the land line and cellphones.
  • These same tests were performed with my wife's iPhone 5 as a control, using the same network, same towers, same location, except it was not a galaxy S3. I was unable to get the problem to occur with the iPhone 5. 10 out of 10 try’s with no problems (and of course she hasn't experience any problems like I have prior to these tests)
  • No problems with data, SMS, browsing, WIFI.
  • I turned of WIFI and performed the same tests, same failure results
  • I turned of Mobile Data and performed the same test, same failure results

Ok. Now I switched the Galaxy S3's APN to use 3G/4G HSPA wap.cingular (non-LTE) Access points. The problem no longer exists as it did with LTE APN in use. All of the test cases I performed to reproduce the problem with LTE APN in used didn't fail when I was pointing to the Non-LTE APN.

• When the call is made to the Galaxy S3 the phone rings within one second.
  • When calling out the phone begins ring with
  • I do experience connectivity issues now.  The photo periodically disconnects completely (only Emergency calls is allowed) from the network for about 30 seconds each time and then reconnects. I don’t know why this happens and it may be because I didn’t setup something up correctly.
  • The phone behaves like a phone again (minus the disconnect-reconnect issue now)

I have seen reports that iPhone 5 users experience these symptoms a couple of month ago.  However, Apple is very proactive and diligent with protecting their brand (hence they control iOS phone updates and not the carrier).  I wouldn’t be surprised if one of their updates provided software workaround for this LTE challenge that Samsung users have been experiencing as well.  

I notice that as soon as I call my Wife’s iPhone 5, the network indicator quickly switches from “LTE” to “4G” (HSPA).  So the iPhone’s software/hardware is actively and quickly switch off the LTE to handle the call within the second it is made.

In conclusion, I would put the onus on AT&T and Samsung equally.  If my wife’s iPhone uses the same network technology as my Galaxy does then Apple is going to bat for her.  Samsung brand is suffering since most people will blame the phone if their spouse’s phone is working find but mine isn’t. 

I am inside my 30 day window and will be returning the Galaxy S3 since I know down the road Samsung and ATT are unable to get along to resolve these types of problems quickly.

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

11 years ago

In referencing the post above:

"I do experience connectivity issues now.  The photo periodically disconnects completely (only Emergency calls is allowed) from the network for about 30 seconds each time and then reconnects. I don’t know why this happens and it may be because I didn’t setup something up correctly."

I too have the same issue with my added APN.  I would be surfing the internet on my phone, then get network error.  I would notice the 4G would disappear and be replaced with the "no symbol".  About 10 seconds later, it would disappear and 4G would again appear.  I did not see anybody else mention this issue, so I assumed I was the only one having it.

Any ideas?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Hi all,

Similar to a lot of previous posts, I recently bought the Gs3 and didn't initially have any issues.  Then in the last two weeks, things have gone down hill.  To cut to the chase, last night I did the work around to use the wap.cingular setting and avoid LTE.  It seemed to work, but immediately started noticing the loss of connectivity as described by  your post.  It immediately seemed not worth the trouble and have since moved back to the default. 

Many of the others have noticed that they receive calls and texts w/o any trouble outside of the WIFI setting.  I've decided to experiment with that and have deactivated it both when I'm at home and at work.  So far, I've received calls/texts without any trouble.  However, I have a limited data plan, so I'm hoping for a real fix soon!

BTW, my wife has a galaxy express and my daughter has a galaxy rugby pro 2 and they're both experiencing the same issues as we are!

Explorer

• 

23 Messages

11 years ago

I am not sure why the status of the issue is now marked as 'solved'. If we have to switch to 3G (i.e. disable LTE) in order to receive phone calls, I personally wouldn't call that a real solution. Wouldn't you guys agree?

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

I called at&t today to ask if there is any ETA for a fix and the operator had no clue what I was talking about. So, that said, I'm guessing the problem hasn't trickled down to the "techs" at their call centers. Has anyone been able to find out when, and if, at&t might have a fix?

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

11 years ago

hylander0 wrote:

I am inside my 30 day window and will be returning the Galaxy S3 since I know down the road Samsung and ATT are unable to get along to resolve these types of problems quickly.

The return/exchange period is 14 days, not 30.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.