The Samsung Galaxy S24
j5k's profile

Teacher

• 

1 Message

Friday, August 10th, 2012 12:15 AM

Closed

Samsung Galaxy S3 Not Receiving Calls - Phone issue or Android issue?

I just got a Samsung S3 a week ago.  I have received calls and texts on it, but it appears that I am missing calls.  Somebody tried calling me 6-7 times in a row in a 30 minute time span yesterday and it never rang, and only one of those showed up as a missed call.  Today, the same thing happened again with two calls, and neither appeared in my missed call log.  They sent a text and it didn't appear until about 20 minutes after it was sent.

I live in a built up area where there should be good coverage, and looked at the map and am rated as "best coverage."  In the past six months, there were maybe two incidents at most when my old phone (not a smart phone) did not ring.  I have a normal amount of bars on my phone.

During both of these incidents, my phone was not in use, and the ringer was on with sufficent volume.

Does anybody have any recommendations for solving this?

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

11 years ago

Also..here are a few other things I tried :

1) Factory Data Reset
2) Take out SIM and Battery and put them back
3) Change to a new SIM card
4) Trade in Phone at the warranty center for a new phone
5) Put phone in and out of airplane mode

Nothing has worked so far. I still am missing calls. I spoke to ATT again today and they said they are going to "re broadcast" my number . I am to give it 48 hours and then check again to see if my GS3 is still dropping calls. I will update this thread after the 48 hour window is up and confirm whether "re broadcasting" my cell number solved the issue or not.

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

I am having the same issue on my Samsung Note 2. I am note sure if it is an ATT problem, Android or Samsung. My problem started after the new Jelly bean update 4.1.2., it is very frustrating because you spend all this money to buy a new and you can't receive call. I miss a tons of important calls this week. Did anybody got this issue resolved? wont am going to call ATT but I am sure they won't to able to fix the problem. 

Glauber

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

11 years ago

Solution (might work) 

Solution might be to disable LTE. Following steps are for S3 - not sure about other phones.

Found from one thread which was talking about saving battery.

1) While the phone turned is On - Remove back cover and press SIM card to move it out of slot (but not completely) - Don't remove battery
2) Phone will recognize there's no SIM & it will prompt for restart
3) Restart phone
4) After phone is turned on - Dial *#2263#  &  Wait for next options to appear
5) Select WCDMA (I think 2nd option) & under that WCDMA All (I think it's for HSPA+/3G)
6) Press SIM card back
7) Restart phone

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

I believe the issue is with the update. I believe that something with the modem or how the phone switches from LTE to 4G is really hurting service. After the update I have suffered from major issues when trying to make outbound calls and receiving calls. When trying to dial out, after I hit talk it will immediately say call ended. Sometimes I have to try the call 3 times for it to work, sometimes I have to soft reset the phone. People have been texting me lately asking whats up with my phone. They either get a weird message "User Unavailable", a fast busy tone or it will not ring through. I have 2 friends try to call me a total of 8 times and were only able to get through 2 times. I am in an area where I have full bars of LTE coverage.

I dont think its a device issue as I am not on my 3rd GS3. I have traded out SIM cards, been disconnected and reconnected to their network. They cleared all of my data in there system and reset me. Ultimately I think something is very wrong with the software. I went into the local store and a girl that worked there said they have been doing a lot of GS3 and Note 2 warranty exchanges after the 4.1 update with users complaining about the same symptoms that I am describing. Hopefully we will get another update with a new modem and it will fix the issue.

We might be able to fix it by turning off the LTE, but in all honesty I want my LTE. I didnt sign a 2 year agreement for an LTE device not to be able to use it. 

AT&T customer retention said they will trade my phone out for any new phone they have, including the Note 2, but since the Note 2 suffers from the same issues it wont do me any good.

I think we need a direct line of communication with the higher ups on the software side. Motorola was good with that. Their forum moderators were able to take issues directly to the source and work on it.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

Samsung Galaxy S3 Not Receiving Calls - After upgrade to Jelly Bean

These are my exact same problems also - called AT&T they want me to get a new sim card, then they want to send me a refurb for my "NEW" phone if that doesn't fix it. Noticed it started after upgrade to Jelly Bean. I have missed calls from my boss and I am on call in the evenings, I am dependant on this phone but found I have to forward all my calls to another cell phone until I get this fixed or loose my job.

I bought what they told me was the best so I would not have problems. Imediately after the upgrade it would over heat, and run down the batterry so turned all bells an whistles off unistalled all apps and reboot everyday.

So now I have phone that is expensive with a pretty screen. I have to start shopping for another carrier and fight this out with them later.

AT&T told me there are no known problems after the Jelly Bean upgrade, that I cannot restore Ginger Bread!!!!

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

11 years ago

You might have noticed issue after JB update but it's not related to JB.

Also S3 came with ICS not GB.

Follow the steps I have mentioned few posts above & see if it resolves the problem.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

Ok I will follow your instructions and update if it corrects the issue.

Also I called Samsung tech support - they are aware of the issue, they said they actually have repaired phones with this problem. They want me to send it to them, they will send my origonal back... in 9 to 14 days.  😞

I wander are they just trying to drum up business or have they found a fix. They said only AT&T will put out a fix or patch when and if it becomes available.

So I will try your fix, and cross my fingers.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

11 years ago

I can confirm that my issues began with the JB 4.1.1 update.

I downloaded it via KIes and updated my phone. The Att warranty center folks, undid my installation  saying it may not have been done correctly and redid it from their computers.It solved nothing.

If this is indeed the JB update screwing up the phone, I am surprised that this issue is not widespread and more actively reported. Scouring through the forums, there is no official word on the next update to JB 4.1.2, which could very well be 5 - 6 months away given how fast ATT is with android updates and we end up stuck with a phone that decides when it should recieve calls and from whom  Smiley Mad

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

11 years ago

Did you try this out ? Shutting down LTE. But then like somone else said , it is not an acceptable solution given the fact that we paid for an LTE device.

But if it does indeed work...do let us know. Better a non LTE phone recieving phone calls than an LTE device that doesnt.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

Your correct it came with Ice cream sandwich, my bad, but I never had any negative feedback until after JB.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.