The Samsung Galaxy S24
galadybug53's profile

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

Friday, October 10th, 2014 11:14 AM

Samsung Galaxy Note 8 update to KitKat 4.4

OK AT&T.

WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO RELEASE KIT KAT TO ALL OF YOUR CUSTOMERS WITH THE GALAXY NOTE 8 currently stuck on 4.1.2 Jelly Bean.  NOW ITS A SECURITY ISSUE OF MAJOR PROPORTIONS TO GIVE US THE UPDATE THAT ACCORDING TO SAMSUNG ON THEIR SUPPORT PAGE IS ALREADY AVAILABLE.

The default browser in Android versions older than 4.4 has a vulnerability that allows malicious websites to bypass a critical security mechanism and take control of a user's authenticated sessions on other sites.

The issue is a universal cross-site scripting flaw that stems from how the browser handles javascript: strings preceded by a null byte character. When encountering such a string, the browser fails to enforce the same-origin policy, a security control that prevents scripts running in the context of one site from interacting with the content of other websites.

"What this means is, any arbitrary website (say, one controlled by a spammer or a spy) can peek into the contents of any other web page," said Tod Beardsley, technical lead for the Metasploit Framework project, in a blog post Monday. "Imagine you went to an attacker's site while you had your webmail open in another window -- the attacker could scrape your e-mail data and see what your browser sees. Worse, he could snag a copy of your session cookie and hijack your session completely, and read and write webmail on your behalf."

The security flaw was discovered by independent security researcher Rafay Baloch, who published a proof-of-concept exploit on his blog Aug. 31. However, the bug's disclosure remained largely unnoticed until the Metasploit team developed a module that can be used to steal authentication cookies from users who open a malicious page.

Apparently Google "fixed" it by changing the default browser. What other security flaws are waiting for those of us stuck on the older obsolete firmware on our expensive locked down devices??

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

9 years ago

There is an FOTA update for this device BUT when I tried to update... It stopped.... Not sure what's going on... It was released today... It on AT@T support site.

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB421410&cv=820#fbid=5JmGpKVsbtt

Text size:AAA
Print
Update the Software for the Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 (i467)

Update summary

On October 16, 2014, AT&T and Samsung released a software update for the Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 (i467). This software package updates the OS to Android 4.4.2 (Kit Kat). The size of the update file is 803 MB, and is available for download via AT&T Firmware Over the Air (FOTA).

This software update includes

AT&T carrier billing is now supported for Google Play, AT&T Family Map and Famigo purchases.
Latest Android security patches.
Android 4.4.2 OS upgrade: http://www.android.com/whatsnew/
Copy & paste improvements with the ability to share or Google what you have highlighted.
Easier to insert pictures/videos to email & messages.
Email  Look and feel that is similar to Gmail and allows inline editing.
Clock  Enhanced analog user interface.
Camera app icon is now displayed on the lock screen for quick access to the camera.
Ability to print photos, documents, and web pages from a Kit Kat phone or tablet. Customers can print to any printer connected to Google Cloud Print, HP ePrint printers, and other printers that have apps in the Google Play Store.
Adds the ability to jump to a specific part of a song or video from the lock screen.
Quick Settings Menu:
Location icon added
Wi-Fi and cellular network data transmission status added (moved from status bar)

What to expect after the update

Although there should be no impacts to settings or data, we recommend that you back up your media files to an SD card, a PC, or using a favorite application (from the Play Store), prior to upgrading the software. For information on backing up and restoring your phone using Samsung Kies, click here.

How to update

Customers may not receive a notification as the update installs automatically over Wi-Fi. Customers may be asked to restart their tablet after the update completes. If customers download the software update over the live mobile broadband network, the update does count against the customers data plan.

How to verify the update

From the home screen, tap Settings > About device.
The following information displays:
Android version: 4.4.2
Baseband version: I467UCUBNI2

Guru

• 

833 Messages

9 years ago

I got my 4.4.2 update last night.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

Today is Oct. 22 and I still have not received an update to kitkat 4.4.x for my Galaxy note 8. It is still on 4.1.2. AT&T is lagging behind. I have been a loyal customers back when they were Cingular. But now I'm having doughts about them.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

please help me

yesterday when updating my Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 (i467) to andoid 4.4.2  , device not complet update and say connect to samsung kies butt when i recovery with samsung kies it give android 4.1.2 and fail with recover please help me .im not in usa im in afghanistan now

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.