The Samsung Galaxy S24
stlsailor's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Wednesday, December 20th, 2017 9:59 PM

Samsung Galaxy Note 8 – Unlocking, VoLTE, Wi-Fi calling

I plan to get a Note 8 soon for which I will pay up front. If I get the AT&T version I understand it will have VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling. But it will be locked and I am out of the country several months a year. My last experience with trying to get a “paid for” AT&T phone unlocked has not been good. Should I expect it to be any better with the Note 8?

If I get the Samsung unlocked version, I am concerned that VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling will be unavailable, as many people seem to have had trouble getting these on unlocked phones. Is there any reason to believe that these would be available on this phone? (Also the unlocked version lacks bands 29, 30, and 66 – I’m not sure where or how widely these are implemented, but I’ve asked that in a post in another section of the forum.)

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

@stlsailor

if you need wifi calling you need a ATT branded android phone period.  Now as for unlocking are you using it on a prepaid account?

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

6 years ago

I currently have a monthly account on which I will use it. However, if I buy an AT&T Note 8, I'm willing to pay the entire cost of the phone up front to get it unlocked if need be.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

Hi @GLIMMERMAN76 

I know this is an old thread, but I have a similar question...

I want the ability to do WiFi calling, and VoLTE - I am with AT&T.

If I buy a refurbished phone on Amazon - must I make sure that it says AT&T unlocked, not just unlocked GSM?

And also, if I ever want to take that phone to another GSM provider, would it work? Or it will only work on AT&T?

Thanks!

GN

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

5 years ago

@GiNito wrote:

Hi @GLIMMERMAN76 

I know this is an old thread, but I have a similar question...

I want the ability to do WiFi calling, and VoLTE - I am with AT&T.

If I buy a refurbished phone on Amazon - must I make sure that it says AT&T unlocked, not just unlocked GSM?

And also, if I ever want to take that phone to another GSM provider, would it work? Or it will only work on AT&T?

Thanks!

GN

Well yes it should if the listing is right. And you can use it on any us carrier not just GSM

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

Right - if the listing is right. I'll make sure with the seller before buying it.

I'm reconsidering as to whether I will use the WiFi calling enough to want the AT&T branded versus truly unlocked. 

Do you know of any charts or lists that could tell me a comparison of what would come with a AT&T branded phone versus non-branded? 

Thanks @GLIMMERMAN76 

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

5 years ago

@GiNito wrote:

Right - if the listing is right. I'll make sure with the seller before buying it.

I'm reconsidering as to whether I will use the WiFi calling enough to want the AT&T branded versus truly unlocked. 

Do you know of any charts or lists that could tell me a comparison of what would come with a AT&T branded phone versus non-branded? 

Thanks @GLIMMERMAN76 

@GiNito 

The big one is VoLTE the unlocked version does not get it all calls will drop data to 3g only while on the call.  

Here is a list

Wifi calling 

Video calling native in dialer

Advance messaging

VoLTE

Numbersync

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

OK - Advanced Messaging is really cool. Would consider it just for that option.

But realistically I am also not sure how often I would be able to use it (or if I even have a plan that would support it - or if I would actually be too cheap to use it Smiley Very Happy - regardless it's one of those features that are nice to have even if you don't use it regularly. I'll ask/call AT&T so I know if my plan even supports it.) 

"Both sender & recipient(s) must be AT&T postpaid wireless customers with Advanced Messaging-capable devices utilizing the most recent device software, are turned on and must be within AT&T’s owned & operated domestic coverage area. Device selection is limited at this time, and Advanced Messaging is not compatible with certain rate plans."

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.