The Samsung Galaxy S24
Blackjack II's profile

Mentor

• 

58 Messages

Tuesday, November 19th, 2013 4:12 AM

Closed

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 GPS Issue

Anyone else having issues with their Note 3 GPS? I'm having an issue were every time I plug or unplug the charger from my phone the GPS drops out. I have to then toggle the GPS on/off in my quick settings to get it working again while navigating. It also seems to drop the signal when I get an incoming phone call while using the navigation app. I have confirmed this same behavior on 2 other friends Note 3's. I'm hoping this is just a software issue that will be fixed in a future os update.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

10 years ago

Yea I just went to the beach the other day, and my gps was dropping all over the place. .

something I did notice however, is that it dropped the most if I left waze idol for another app.

Scholar

• 

56 Messages

10 years ago

I contact AT&T by chat at least once a week, if not twice. So I'm doing more than my part. Is everyone doing theirs??

I encourage everyone to at least have a chat with someone at Samsung and/or AT&T. Calling is better. We are all busy but you could do it while your doing dishes for 5 minutes...

You could also demand a service credit for the massive inconvienence (!!!). I can say I have been successful in doing so.

The more people that create noise, the more pressure they have to fix it.

Or at least give us some piece of information aside from "We know". (Not one of us are asked to beta test any fix, although all of us can reproduce this problem easily and consistently ....)

Mentor

• 

42 Messages

10 years ago

I'm giving AT&T until the release of the S5 or say May time frame before I go into the store and demand a replacement.

Used my Note 3 today while on travels and this whole dropping of Sat signal when a text comes in or a tower changes to LTE/4G, etc. is complete Bull.....t 

I'm not going to sit around and let them take advantage of me knowingly and put me through this while paying them money.    I want a phone that works and if it's not the Note 3 so be it, I'll pick another phone, or cancel my contract no questions asked and I will go to Verizon.  I'm half tempted to do that anyway.

Mentor

• 

42 Messages

10 years ago

Put the phone in Airplane mode, turn on GPS and Bluetooth (if you stream through your car) and run a navigation app that has maps preloaded. It will work 100% so long as the Cell portion of the phone is OFF. That's about all that works.

Scholar

• 

56 Messages

10 years ago

Hello EVERYONE,

Please tell me the "fastest" possible way you were able to exhibit the Note 3 GPS problem on a freshly factory-reset Note 3. Please also mention how many times you have replaced the phone.

This info will help us all. Thank you in advance!

Mentor

• 

24 Messages

10 years ago

After getting no help or traction from AT&T customer service, I've filed an FTC complaint and reported AT&T for fraud.

Mentor

• 

42 Messages

10 years ago

Smartfast wrote:

Hello EVERYONE,

Please tell me the "fastest" possible way you were able to exhibit the Note 3 GPS problem on a freshly factory-reset Note 3. Please also mention how many times you have replaced the phone.

This info will help us all. Thank you in advance!

The easiest way to really show impact is:

• Navigate via google and then make/take a phone call.  The GPS will drop within seconds.  
  • Have someone send you 1-2 text messages while you're navigating, it will drop you. 
  • Some will say simply plug your phone in to charge while navigating.  I suppose that works, but I always plug mine in to charge when in the car and I tend to do so before I roll out.   
  • Lastly, use navigation while crossing to/from and area of LTE/4G coverage.  For me typically as I roll east or west out of my city I will lose LTE coverage.  Bam!  GPS will drop.

I found the last one is the biggest PIA as I travel to new cities often and have no idea when I change towers/coverage areas and in the midst of navigating it will drop on me.  I most recently was in Hawaii on the island of Kauai and it dropped nearly every 2 minutes, I'd restart the GPS, bam it would drop again.  There it wasn't even changing back and forth as I didn't have much if any LTE coverage it was all 4G.  I can only assume it was due to the mountains and elevation changes I was seeing that caused towers to jump and the GPS to drop.

Mentor

• 

42 Messages

10 years ago

Great little find for comparing coverage areas.

http://opensignal.com/

Mentor

• 

39 Messages

10 years ago

Looks like this issues is getting more coverage by tech blogs. Way to go! It has been over a month since AT&T said that a fix would be coming out "soon".

Still testing and still having problems.

Voyager

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I compained for the first time via onlne chat yesterday. I was actually (disappointingly) unware fo this issue prior to upgrading to the Note 3 over a month ago. I don;t use GPS vry often, but it's madenning how a corporation could simply drago out a process and ignore it's customers. Not only that, but continue to sell a product it knows is faulty.

Despite my frustration with the situation I was told I could warrranty exchange my phone for either the saem or different model. I was also credited %50 of my data plan for the two months.

It's not a fix to the issue, and there are bigger fish to fry but if you make a big enough stink I'm sure you'll feel somewhat content with the their attemp from the customer service side of things.

The fact that the Android update is still on hold makes me wonder when if ever it will be fixed.

Has anyone looked into being able to drop a contract with ATT over this?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.