The Samsung Galaxy S24
Blackjack II's profile

Mentor

• 

58 Messages

Tuesday, November 19th, 2013 4:12 AM

Closed

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 GPS Issue

Anyone else having issues with their Note 3 GPS? I'm having an issue were every time I plug or unplug the charger from my phone the GPS drops out. I have to then toggle the GPS on/off in my quick settings to get it working again while navigating. It also seems to drop the signal when I get an incoming phone call while using the navigation app. I have confirmed this same behavior on 2 other friends Note 3's. I'm hoping this is just a software issue that will be fixed in a future os update.

Ambassador

• 

518 Messages

9 years ago

@Blackjack II 

First off there are can be some possible causes. These are: (1)No clear visibility to GPS Satellites. If the user does not have a clear view of the sky or if they are in a building this may degrade signal and performance. (2)There location settings may be off. They may have been turned off during the update. They can also ensure that they : "High Accuracy" mode enabled for best performance. (3)Third party cases can in some events block the GPS signal. (4)There Maps software is not up to date. After they completed the update, they can ensure they have the latest version of the MAPS app on their device by visiting the Play Store.  

Here are some steps they can try: 

1. Perform a soft reset: With the device still on, remove the battery for 30 seconds. After the time has elapsed, replace the battery and power on the device. 
  1. Step outside into an open area where you can clearly see the sky. Any obstructions to the view of the sky such as mountains, tall buildings, dense canopy, thick walls, etc. can cause your GPS not to acquire a signal. 
  1. Verify the device has no physical or liquid damage, for example, the device was dropped or got wet. 
  1. Check for any available software updates for your device at Samsung Support. 
  1. Check for any updates for Maps in the Google Play Store. 

Thanks! ^Jake 

Samsung Support

Explorer

• 

25 Messages

9 years ago

It's a software issue, I did a hard reset but nothing fixed it, so I just went to a ATT service center and had them "reflash" my software to 4.4.2 again. GPS actually works again. Won't be updating again...

Mentor

• 

58 Messages

9 years ago

Respectfully, you are not reading the thread. What you suggest are VERY BASIC steps that I took on day one. Over the year it was clear that there was an issue with an AT&T config file of some sort. Like others the problem cleared up with 4.3 but with The latest update the GPS while not as bad as originally posted, still unusually inaccurate.

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

9 years ago

Good luck with that. I highly doubt they will release an update just to fix
this issue. I believe 5.0 lollipop will be released soon for the Note 3,
hopefully all these issues are addressed.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

9 years ago

I am updating this forum again after swapping my SIM over a month ago. In the past 2 weeks I have not lost a GPS signal once and I use it on a daily basis. So for me anyway the SIM swap fixed the issue for my particular phone. I would give it a try if you have tried everything else as I have before I was advised by a AT&T Tech Support to try swapping your SIM. Good luck to everyone!

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

9 years ago

I just had AT&T change my Sim card. This fixed nothing.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

Same here, I just replaced SIM card a few days ago and it resolved nothing.  GPS is still broken and ATT does not appear to care.

Explorer

• 

25 Messages

9 years ago

Take ur phone to an ATT "Service Center" and have them reflash ur phone to 4.4.2

Worked for me!

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

9 years ago

Just got off of the phone with James at AT&T. He was unable to find a reference to this problem in their system. He said he would note the issue and spread the word. I invited him to look at this site, share with his colleagues, and post updates here - hopefully someone will.

Looks like I will attempt a factory reset to 4.4.4 and if that doesn't work a reset to 4.4.2.

In the meantime, everyone should call in: 1-800-331-0500. It only took a minute to get through to an actual human - much easier than Samsung's tech support.

Sam

Mentor

• 

42 Messages

9 years ago

XDA has a fix for the GPS by entering service mode.   I'm on 4.4.4 and found that it works.  It rebuilds the Network Verification for GPS.

Good luck.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.