The Samsung Galaxy S24
Blackjack II's profile

Mentor

• 

58 Messages

Tuesday, November 19th, 2013 4:12 AM

Closed

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 GPS Issue

Anyone else having issues with their Note 3 GPS? I'm having an issue were every time I plug or unplug the charger from my phone the GPS drops out. I have to then toggle the GPS on/off in my quick settings to get it working again while navigating. It also seems to drop the signal when I get an incoming phone call while using the navigation app. I have confirmed this same behavior on 2 other friends Note 3's. I'm hoping this is just a software issue that will be fixed in a future os update.

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

9 years ago

Reporting in again.... Still no issues since the original one long ago. And
as far as the iPhone 6 I guess at least when it bends it will make the GPS
easier to see =p

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

9 years ago

the bottom line is there just phones. Not everyone wears the same shoes or
drives the same car.

Mentor

• 

47 Messages

9 years ago

Drove through NYC to see the Christmas tree at the Rockefeller yesterday.  Waze did an amazing job getting us there via the quickest route.  My GPS indicator kept blinking during most of the trip but amazingly, it never lost track of where we were.  This is unlike the previous issue where you could be off by a few hundred yards.  However, once we got to tour destination, I switched to Google map to get us to our final destination.  Trying to get a heading using the blue icon on the map was impossible.  The indicator never pointed at the correct heading.  Good thing my wife has an iPhone 5s.  Otherewise, I'd be cursing out AT&T for ruining my otherwise awesome Note 3.  I don't expect AT&T reps to chime in on this old thread.  I'm sure they're happy that we are having problems with this phone hoping that people would migrate to their newer models soon.  AT&T still wants me to spend more money by buying their microcell and subscribing to a broadband ISP so I could get reliable coverage inside my house.  

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

9 years ago

The stylus never scratched my screen or any of my friends Note 3's so I have no idea why it would scratch yours. I never even heard of the stylus scratching a screen but ok. Also most smartphones don't bend or crack in peoples pockets. I was just pointing out that every smartphone has their flaws. But the Note 3 GPS issue is an AT&T issue not an

@Ucliker wrote:
The Note 4 is a great device, I just don't use all the features that it
offers. The iPhone 6 breaks just like any other smartphone, the screen on
my Note scratched from the stylus. I'm not a fanboy every phone has its
merits.

Samsung issue. The iPhone antenna issue and the cracking of phones in peoples pockets were completely Apples fault. People should use whatever phone meets their needs bottom line.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

9 years ago

Just to update this forum as I have been testing my GPS on daily basis since I swapped my SIM. After a week of use I occasionally do get the GPS signal has been lost but not nearly as much before I swapped out my SIM. I have maybe lost my GPS signal 5 times but its only in certain areas and it locks right back on in less then 5 seconds. I don't know know if this fix will work for everyone but its worth a try. I will update this forum again in about a week to let everyone know how its working. I have talked to many people with other carriers and they never have or had this issue with their Note 3 and they all use it quite frequently. So again this is defintely a AT&T issue and has nothing to due with Samsung. 

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

9 years ago

Since updating to KitKat 4.4.4, I too, am suffering from GPS related issues. I cannot get a stable lock. Once I do using navigation, the "Searching using GPS.." will just constantly blink. Every so often, I'll get the "Lost GPS signal" and it will disrupt my journey on the road. I am really frustrated as I depend on my phone's GPS and live google traffic for work. I'm thinking about going back to the old 4.4.2 version, at least GPS usage is bearable. ATT..please rectify this GPS issue on the next update, 5.0 Lollipop please!

Mentor

• 

39 Messages

9 years ago

I'm back again.

It has gone from bad to worse with the latest update that was pushed to my phone yesterday - Android version 4.4.4 / Kernel Version 3.4.0-3032228.

Going from 4.3 to KitKat fixed our GPS problems. It took months, but we finally got working GPS. But with the last 2 software updates, things have gone from good to bad to worse for me.

With the inital KK update, Ingress, Waze and Google Maps worked perfectly.

After first update - the original GPS problems of 4.3 started showing up again. (Locks taking a long time, dropping, and just being pretty unreliable)

With the latest update - I am struggling to get a GPS lock AT ALL.

Could someone at AT&T please let us know if this is a known problem again?

Thanks

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

9 years ago

Funny it has happened again. On my side it didn't return back since I am on a different network. I do believe this is ATTs fault for sure now. I have 4.4.2 android version with kernel version of 3.4.0-722276

Mentor

• 

39 Messages

9 years ago

Gonna go out on a limb here with my guess as to what happened:

I think a lot of work was done to verify that the original problem with AT&T's Note 3 was due to a bad driver. The problem went away for people who rooted the phone and replaced AT&T's GPS driver with the default Android provided driver. For those of us who didn't root our phones, we were stuck in a terrible GPS state until they released KitKat (4.4) 5 or so months after launch. KK apparently had a working driver and all was well.

With the latest updates to KK for AT&T's Note 3, I fear that someone may have put a bad driver back into the mix. Not sure if they could have used the same one from 4.3 or what, but it is now terrible.

I feel our only hope is to reach out to those who were watching this thread from before and ask that they please look into the problem again. Going another 5 months without a working GPS is just something I am not willing to stomach again. =(

AT&T CM's - Can we get any confirmation that this is a known problem?

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

9 years ago

GPS works fine on 4.4.2 KitKat. Wait until you update to 4.4.4, GPS will be unreliable!

Are you listening At&t?

If there is an 5.0 Lollipop update, please fix our GPS problems that you have dug from the grave. If 5.0 is too long from now, we will appreciate an incremental 4.4.4. update that will at least get our GPS in working order.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.