The Samsung Galaxy S24
Blackjack II's profile

Mentor

• 

58 Messages

Tuesday, November 19th, 2013 4:12 AM

Closed

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 GPS Issue

Anyone else having issues with their Note 3 GPS? I'm having an issue were every time I plug or unplug the charger from my phone the GPS drops out. I have to then toggle the GPS on/off in my quick settings to get it working again while navigating. It also seems to drop the signal when I get an incoming phone call while using the navigation app. I have confirmed this same behavior on 2 other friends Note 3's. I'm hoping this is just a software issue that will be fixed in a future os update.

Mentor

• 

38 Messages

10 years ago

@ Shadowglen      i think the problem is that ATT has only been tellig us HALF of their new plan...   the slogan shoudl be...     "It can wait... and you can't get there"   or  "It can wait, and we arnt telling you where it is"

D

Mentor

• 

38 Messages

10 years ago

@JMill9  I didagree with you.   Peopel have alluded to how dangerouse it is..  but of cource,  no one wants to admit that they handle thier cell phone while they are driving...  so I think people have been quite about it.

I know that *I* always  stop my car and put into park, every time I program my GPS...   which is only once at the begingign of each trip.     um...  and er...  Yeah,   now I have to stop and put my car in park only 20 ro 30 times during a 40 minute trip   (well,  shoudl have been 20 minutes...  but turns into 40)...

but based on the number of people I have seen txting, or putting mark up on,  or eatign a sandwich the size of a foot ball,  I really do nto believe that EVERYBODY does this..

...so yes,  I do believe that this is a saftey issue for both the user, and EVERYBODY that is on the road with them.

...of cource,  AT&T will say it is not their fault that someone has an accident while trying to use the GPS on the AT&T note 3....   obviously that user should have gotten a phone (or carrier)  that works!

D

Scholar

• 

56 Messages

10 years ago

Only 23 more signatures needed on Travis Clay's petition regarding this issue!

I had this problem happen to me 4 times while traveling for work today. Each time I had to enable/disable my GPS to resolve it--- which it did instantly.

This is DEFINITELY a safety issue.

Everyone involved should also file a complaint with the FCC

Everyone should also call at&t and request compensation for this issue which affects the utility of the phone as well as user safety.

These three actions will help put pressure on AT&T to deliver the fix promptly.

Scholar

• 

102 Messages

10 years ago

have filed a complaint with FCC and that definitely helps .I instantly got a call from AT& T cooperate office wanted to know whats wrong .I have also signed petition

Scholar

• 

102 Messages

10 years ago

^^ also agree with safety issue . I was in downtown houston lost because I held up traffic fixing my gps cuz I was lost . then moments later a car almost side swipes me cuz I kept looking at my phone again trying to fix gps on phone . I looked up in time and hit my brakes !

Scholar

• 

56 Messages

10 years ago

A quote from a chat with AT&T about the issue:

Zain Beckstead: It looks like AT&T is actually very aware of this issue, and is currently working with Samsung to analyze the situation and identify the solution. As soon as the software update is available it will be pushed to you. The reason the Kitkat update is taking so long, is so we can provide a fix for the GPS situation

to which I replied:

I could fix it 6 weeks ago if you just allowed me to root it without voiding the warranty... I dont understand why it is taking months to fix

Teacher

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

Well, if safety is your top priority, please act accordingly. What we are saying is this GPS issue is a life threatening one that might kill people, and you have not fixed the problem. It is not very convincing to say that AT&T cares about our safety when AT&T offers a phone that might kill people. You should either fix this bug or stop selling this phone until you make sure that it does not kill people. 

The reason that we are so bothered by this problem is not because this is a simple technical bug. We care about this bug because AT&T might kill us because of this literally critical bug, and we don't want to die because of AT&T.

We are talking about SAFETY and OUR LIVES, not the bug. 

Mentor

• 

42 Messages

10 years ago

When I first used Gmaps a warning came up that I am responsible for my safety and to be careful. Though a failing phone GPS has gotten me lost it has not caused any safety issues. I do not fumble with the device in heavy traffic and I do not make sudden course corrections if I make a mistake. 

This is a huge annoyance but, so far, we are still less than 6 months out and there is an imputed fix in the wings. Use your Garmin or TomTom and get fired up after KitKat is released and the GPS is still broken. 

Mentor

• 

24 Messages

10 years ago

A bit of an overreaction shadowglen. I don't think AT&T is trying to kill us.

Teacher

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

@JMill09 

I wonder what is your interpretation of "safety is our top priority".

Do you mean that turning off/on GPS while actively driving with significant mental distraction is safe? Is your standard of "top priority" is "AT&T addresses safety problem maybe in a year, although some people might die in that period"?

I mean, if safety is my top priority, I would immediately send messages to all Note 3 owners and ask not to use its GPS until the problem is fixed with apology, and investigate the problem and fix the problem in less than three days in order to maximize safety of my users.

Priority is about what you do. Not what you think. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.