The Samsung Galaxy S24
Blackjack II's profile

Mentor

• 

58 Messages

Tuesday, November 19th, 2013 4:12 AM

Closed

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 GPS Issue

Anyone else having issues with their Note 3 GPS? I'm having an issue were every time I plug or unplug the charger from my phone the GPS drops out. I have to then toggle the GPS on/off in my quick settings to get it working again while navigating. It also seems to drop the signal when I get an incoming phone call while using the navigation app. I have confirmed this same behavior on 2 other friends Note 3's. I'm hoping this is just a software issue that will be fixed in a future os update.

Scholar

• 

63 Messages

10 years ago

Well the 5th phone (got it Monday afternoon) and at about the 24 hr mark, the GPS issue started. As expected 

Anyways, this time I came up with a new test, I turned off data 100% (so no LTE/4G icon) from the setings --> connection --> data, then turned on GPS and AndroiTS GPS Tests. Got a full lock, then called the phone from my desk. I wanted to see if being connected to cell data was the main factor or not. To my suprise (and I tested this 4 times) when my phone started ringing, the GPS icon disappered, and stays gone until I switch it off and on again?!?!?!? 

My guess is even though I have shut off data, there is still a LTE/4G switch, but not sure. Just for S&G, I'm going to do another factory reset and delvic clear, boot up the phone and basically not use it except for phone calls (I'll use my S2 for everything); no internet, no apps, nothing. I'm going to disable all the apps I can and not sign into anything or even open an app that could possibly sign me into something. I know I did this before, but I want to test this again to make 100% sure I did not miss something. I'll report back tomorrow... 

Mentor

• 

38 Messages

10 years ago

Oh god, Please help?!?!

I have read threw this whole forum, and I need ...   

is general concensus now that the problem is software, and effects ALL ATT Note 3's ,  and will until an update fixes it?

Or do some of us feel that it is hardware related also??

I am on my third note 3.    the first one, I DID NOT *notice* this problem..  (it was swapped out because of a fault charger port).   the second, and third , both did what is talked about in here  (dropping gps, but re-aquiring after off/on cycle).

I NEED TO DECIDE if I am going to swap my phone again before TOMORROW..   or I am past 14 days, and have to spend a lot of money !!   (BTW:  The new Best Buy insurance plan SUCKS!!!!!!)

If I have to root the phone, and put on a new ROM,  which one fixes the problem??

The irony here is that I switched to AT&T  so that I would not HAVE to root my phone!!  GRRRR!!!!

Danny

Scholar

• 

63 Messages

10 years ago

I'm on my 5th and it has the issue. Everyone.I know with an ATT version has the issue. Most of us agree it is software or an app because a factory reset or rooting and installing the X-Note (I think thats what it is called) fixes the issue. Factory reset only works for a day or two.

I'm running teats right now to see if it is an app, which one it is.

As a side note; if you root, there is a good chance you will lose your warranty. A lot of peoplw have issues unrooting and getting the padlock showing your phone is stock. This is the maim reason I have not rooted my phone and flashed that rom. Just a heads up.

Mentor

• 

17 Messages

10 years ago

i called att ... they dont know anything about this issue.  i sent them this thread and they have a manager looking at it.  however, they said it most likely is an underlying software issue and will most likely be sent to samsung/google.  of course, that we know will go nowhere.  so we're stuck unless the software developers at samsung and google already know about it ... which i cant imagine how they would not.  i'm just waiting for the kitkat upgrade at whicj point if that doesn't fic it, i'm switching to a differnt model.

Former Employee

• 

4.9K Messages

10 years ago

Hello, everyone!

Thanks for posting. We're sorry some of you are experiencing GPS issues. At this time we're trying to determine whether this issue is limited to any particular location, so please send me a PM by clicking here. In your message, please let me know where you're experiencing the GPS issues.

Thanks!

-Mariana

Scholar

• 

63 Messages

10 years ago

@ms_unicorn 

Thank you, it is good to know someone at AT&T wants to help find a fix Smiley Happy

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well I'm trying the factory reset and not logging in thing again. At about 10am PST, I did a factory reset with the sim card and external SD card removed. Skipped or bypassed the Ready2Go sign in, the Samsung Sign in and anywhere else. I disabled all of the apps you can turn off that are in the app drawyer (there are a ton more in Application Manager, but I don't want to mess with those yet). I plugged the phone into my PC (still no sim card) and put the apk files for My Data Manager (to see if any apps use data even when disconnected from the play store) and AndroiTS GPS Test on the internal memory. Put the sim card back in and will watch if any apps try to download anythnig. I do have my tethering active so I can use my apps and get my e-mail on my S2. I have yet to open any apps (except mobile hotspot and settings) yet.

The plan is to not open anything, not even the internet so there is no way for any apps to update through the play store or through Samsung app store,period. If at noon tomorrow, the GPS still works correctly, I'll start turning on the disabled apps, one per hour to see if the issue returns. Hopefully this way we can find out if it is an app or something else.

Next step if this does not work is to pull the sim card, do a factory reset, install AndroiTS GPS Test (sideload), and not put in my sim card. That way there is 100% no data or cell data or anythnig.  

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

I signed up to be added as another unhappy at&t customer experiencing this faulty gps issue.  I didn't expect to burn through an upgrade from note 2 to take a draw back on the problem.

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

Also joined forum to report same issue. While navigating with Google maps or Waze, my GPS signal drops out randomly. The only way to I get the signal back is to either:

-Toggle GPS off and back on
-Cycle my screen off and back on

But this is pretty dangerous to do while driving in traffic. Hoping for a solution soon!

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

@ms_unicorn

I would like to add that I just drove across the country from Colorado to New Jersey. The entire drive through I experienced this issue and had to cycle my screen to refresh my gps signal periodically.

Scholar

• 

63 Messages

10 years ago

Well that went fast. Just tested and the issue was back, way sooner than expected. I verified nothing updated so no idea. Just did another reset with the Sim card removed and keeping it out. We'll see, since it will be 100% off grid this time, this should be interesting.

There is a post on XDA that said the issue is the GPS config files, they replaced them with the international files and the issue was fixed.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.