For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
Jonm287's profile

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Monday, March 20th, 2017 1:39 PM

Samsung Cloud excessive data usage.

I'm running the recent Android 7.0 update on my S7 Edge, and so far this billing cycle, Samsung cloud has used up 2.95gB of background mobile data.  This makes no sense as I'm only using 147 mb of cloud storage according to the app, and the app itself is set to back up via wifi only.  The auto backup states it will begin a backup if the screen is off, the phone is plugged in, and is connected to the same AP for an hour.  It meets these criteria every night.  Samsung support remotely accessed my phone, and after going through the settings for 15 minutes, simply enabled data saver.  After questioning the support guy, he first said the data could have been pictures, music etc being backed up, but when I pointed out I had way more than 147mb of pictures, and that all of the 2.95 gb of data was background mobile data, and only 40mb or so was used via wifi, he finally is escalating the ticket.

In the meantime, has anyone else noticed an issue like this?  I really want to know what was in that almost 3 gb of data, and why it went via mobile data when it had nightly opportunities to utilize wifi.  I don't want to get into a data overage because of a misbehaving app!

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

7 years ago

Turn off background use for the app.  Set to wifi only backup.  That was correct, whynit wasn't on by default??  Boggles the mind

Honestly, dump the service.  Samsung cloud is a very poor option for storage.  Not only does it not work well (data suckage not withstanding)  Just like using ATT locker, it's designed to tie you to a branded service.  What if you switch phone brands?

Your phone should be backing up to google.  Google photo, google drive and Gmail contacts, etc.  Google info can be synced and retrieved on any device.  Storage is unlimited.  

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

7 years ago

My phone does backup to google.  I recently wiped my phone after the update and I believe samsung cloud was enabled by default, but the default settings of the service were wifi only.  At the time I didn't think much of it since I've been using samsung phones for years now.  My last non samsung was the HTC Aria way back when.  

Just to reiterate, the cloud app was always set to wifi only.  The background mobile data usage right now is unexplained, by me or by samsung tech support.  It simply doesn't make sense and the tech admitted it looks like unintended behavior.  I'm leaving it as is now just to see if it continues using up data over the next few days.  If it does I'll disable it and contact samsung again.  

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

7 years ago

@Jonm287 wrote:

My phone does backup to google.  I recently wiped my phone after the update and I believe samsung cloud was enabled by default, but the default settings of the service were wifi only.  At the time I didn't think much of it since I've been using samsung phones for years now.  My last non samsung was the HTC Aria way back when.  

Just to reiterate, the cloud app was always set to wifi only.  The background mobile data usage right now is unexplained, by me or by samsung tech support.  It simply doesn't make sense and the tech admitted it looks like unintended behavior.  I'm leaving it as is now just to see if it continues using up data over the next few days.  If it does I'll disable it and contact samsung again.  

is wifi assist turned on?  Sometimes these updates revert settings.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

7 years ago

No, it's off.  

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Me too Jonm287. I like to watch utube videos so it's always on the top of my data usage profile...until like you said, the Samsumg cloud took over after the AT&T update(which screwed up more phone settings than it's been worth so far).We now have Charter Wifi so our data usage from AT&T has dropped from about 15gigs per month to under 3, for 4 devices. Of the 16.40 gigs we used this month in wifi, Samsung cloud used over 11 of it...I don't know why but, would like to put a stop to it...just not sure how(Samsung Sg6 Edge +). Any ideas would be greatly appreciated 🤣

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

7 years ago

@Nationpam12  Go into app management and clear cache and disable it.   There is no reason to use Samsung cloud. 

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

7 years ago

Samsung cloud does have its good points along with its bad points.  It will back up text messages which google will not on none pixel devices right now.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

I totally hear you!! Between June 10th and July 7th samsung cloud has used up 15gb (that's not a typo!!) I have gone over my limit twice now because of it! Who do I need to contact as Vodafone were usless

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

Hi, I've had the same problem, but don't even use cloud. Did you have any luck resolving it?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

I.M having the same problem,i have a mobile wifi and only get 5gig per month. Which normally lasted almost 2months.  Nowadays it lasts 2 days if i.m lucky. And so far 10 point something gig have already been loaded to samsung cloud. I really want to get rid of this app but cant disable it. I have never even used the app

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.