For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
George.Galo's profile

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

Tuesday, February 3rd, 2015 1:36 PM

S4 Notification sounds stops short

On my S4, the notification sound for text msgs cuts off after about 1 second.

I did some searching and tried a few suggestions, like not having long text threads,

going to settings and unchecking "Delete Old Messages". None of these helped.

I don't save the text threads anyway, I have 2, two message threads on the phone.

After a reboot, the notification sound plays in full One time, then it gets cut off every

subsequent message.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
George

Community Support

• 

15.2K Messages

9 years ago

Hi @George.Galo

I’m sorry to hear that you’re experiencing issues with your S4! I’d be happy to help! This is certainly an unusual issue. Does this happen during playback of other sounds also, such as incoming phone calls or when playing music/videos?

I’d recommend trying to change the notification tone to determine if the same thing is happening. To do so, from the Home screen, press the Menu key and tap Settings. From the My Device tab, choose Sound. Default Notification sound is the option we need to change the tone played for incoming texts and other notifications.

If this is only happening with texts and not other notifications such as from emails or apps, try clearing the cache for your messaging app by choosing Application Manager from the More tab in Settings. Swipe to the ALL list and tap Messaging. Tap the Clear Cache button and restart the phone to test.

I hope this helps!

Charise

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

9 years ago

Hi Charise,

Thanks for the tips. It is only happening for the text message
notifications(that I know of).

I did try changing the notification sound, it still cuts off. I've cleared
the messaging cache and data
from app manager as well. Still doesn't help.

Thanks,
George

Ambassador

• 

518 Messages

9 years ago

Hi @George.Galo, 

Thanks for reaching out. We apologize for the negative experience. We are happy to help. Did this start after a recent application download or update?  Is this happening while its in your pocket, or is it happening all the time. Once thing worth trying is check your motion settings to see If this could be a possible cause. 

Here are some steps you can try. Power off the device, remove the battery for two minutes, and replace it. Power back on.  After you complete this try testing again.    
If there is no change then proceed to a run the device in safe mode for 2-4 hours. Here are the steps: http://bit.ly/1yK7xEK. While in safe mode try testing some calls. While in safe mode the device will not load any third party applications. This will help you to narrow down possible causes. To exit safe mode just reboot the device.    
If safe mode does not work please back up the device with Kies: http://www.samsung.com/us/kies/. Here are the backup steps : http://bit.ly/1f6qcyQ. Then complete a factory reset : http://bit.ly/16llD4P.   
If these steps do not solve the problem please let us know. ^Jake

Samsung Support

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

I am having same issue and more. If you use any app that has sound it shuts phone down back to the start up screen with the at&t symbol on it  or I get a message box with [Process com.android.phone isn't resonding..with the wait or ok check box....which normally I can not choose either]  I went to the Samsung website and did a live chat with an agent and after doing all we could, we had to do a step on the reboot start] .... After two phone calls I was able to make and two messages sent my phone started doing same thing again..

Wondering if these suggestions could help my phone?

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

9 years ago

Thanks for the tips, I tried the battery removal, it did not help. 

With further testing I found it only happens with the phone unlocked.

Either locked or unlocked, it's sitting on a desk(i did try the motion settings previously).

If it works when locked, I'm guessing the safe mode "trick" will work as well?

I can't do a backup here with my work computer, will have to try that later.

Thanks,

George

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

9 years ago

@George.Galo wrote:

Thanks for the tips, I tried the battery removal, it did not help. 

With further testing I found it only happens with the phone unlocked.

Either locked or unlocked, it's sitting on a desk(i did try the motion settings previously).

If it works when locked, I'm guessing the safe mode "trick" will work as well?

I can't do a backup here with my work computer, will have to try that later.

Thanks,

George

Safe mode no help.  when phone not locked, notification sound cuts off after a couple of seconds. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.