Announcements

For the latest on our response to Coronavirus (COVID-19), click here.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Sun, Oct 13, 2019 12:24 AM

Pictures/ MMS won't download on Galaxy S9

I've had this phone for 15 months with no problems.   The past few days pictures will not download in text messages.  I have searched and tried everything I have found to no avail.  APN, MMS, etc.  

I have no problem sending pictures only receiving.  

Responses

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

4 months ago

Annnnd now it stopped working again.  Just out of the blue.  No SMS no Visual Voicemail...really wish I could listen to that voicemail I got earlier, but it won't let me.Screenshot_20191121-135633_Messages.jpg

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 months ago

Turn your wifi off and click on message to download . I've had this problem since the last software update and just discovered this solution today 

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

4 months ago

Yes, Barchick1 it does work that way(as stated earlier), but I don't have unlimited data.  I'm not using data to download SMS that are SUPPOSED to work through Wifi and have worked just fine in the past. 
This is something that either Samsung or AT&T broke and need to fix.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

4 months ago

I have the same problem. I can neither send or receive pictures without mobile data on. I dont have unlimited data and cant afford to keep turning 4G on just to get the photo. I felt this issue had something to do with AT&T being caught up in the 4G mess, overcharging people and being sued.  I heard it on the news and shortly after my problem started. Little bit of a stretch but maybe.... I have done all that is recommended to fix the issue and nothing has worked. Still cant send or reciver without 4G on.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 months ago

Both att users in household   with Samsung's are having the same issue. 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

3 months ago

• I've been having the same issue. I hoped after the update today it would've been fixed.
  • .NOPE. @AT&T, a response would be nice!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

3 months ago

It works when I turn off my WIFI and use Mobile Data. Has been like this for months!!!!

• 

1 Message

3 months ago

Adding myself to the list. Thought it was my messaging app, then thought it was my S7 Edge, but now I have the S10 and have tried it with stock messaging and different messaging apps. Still doesn't work. Just tested it by turning off WIFI and hey! There are my MMS messages!! I get little to no signal in my house/neighborhood so WIFI (and WIFI calling) is a must. Very disappointing that AT&T and/or Samsung hasn't worked this out given how much service plans and phones cost.

Employee

• 

287 Messages

3 months ago

Wow! I have had this issue with the last few phones. I'm talking years with this issue. Reading this, I am just realizing I have not had this issue at all since switching to my s10! How wonderful that is!

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

• 

1 Message

(Edited per community guidelines)....S10 has same issue in my case

(edited)

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

3 months ago

Same here. Note 10+ same issue both before and after android 10 update. Advanced messaging wont turn on mobile data and fetch the image.

• 

8 Messages

2 months ago

See my question with AT&T's (Edited per community guidelines) response here:

​https://forums.att.com/conversations/samsung/s8-picture-text/5e2b254be07181248bb1f018

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

Yeah I'm not factory resetting my phone.

That should not be AT&T's answer to this problem.

Even though it does NOT fix it anyway.

This problem comes and goes with updates. At the moment my S9 is not able to download SMS messages without turning off WIFI first.

• 

1 Message

The last 2 security updates have been messed up with this issue, is AT&T in denial? Same issue as everyone else but the December update made things worse it used to be a select few individuals now it is most everyone. It is not carrier specific, nor mobile device specific (on the senders end). I need Wi-Fi calling enabled in my home because of low signal. Even with a low signal as soon as i disable Wi-Fi, boom the MMS's flood in. Most of the time it is photos but there have been text only MMS that fall into the abyss too. This issue occurred early on with my S8 but cleared up after an update until the August security update. Perhaps AT&T developers should switch to a better code release process to include code review and dif.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

It appears I have fixed the problem on my S9+. My WiFi settings on my phone for my home network got changed somehow (probably during an update) to use a Random MAC address. Changing it to use the phone's real MAC address fixed the problem.

I am on Android 10. I don't remember if Android 9 had an equivalent setting. Worst case scenario, try "forgetting" your WiFi network and then re-add it.

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

That's one of the first things I did, but I tried it again for giggles.

Doesn't work.

Phone still broken as far as MMS through WIFI. :)

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Make sure the WiFi connection is using the phone's actual MAC address. When I re-added my WiFi, it defaulted to using a Random MAC address.

The fact that turning off WiFi works means something about your WiFi makes the connection to AT&T's server unhappy. It is either your phone settings or router, or maybe a VPN or firewall.

(edited)

• 

2 Messages

a month ago

I've started having this problem as well and nothing AT&T suggests fixes it. Only way to download is using mobile data not wifi.

• 

1 Message

This is what worked for me when messages would not download pictures or video sent to me:

Click on settings

Click on Apps

Scroll down to Messages (NOT messenger!) and Click on it

Click on Storage

Click on Clear cache (bottom right)

Go back to your text message that wouldn't download the picture. Click on download the picture and it will pop up if it's not already there. ​

Every once in awhile do this and your pictures and videos that get sent to you should download just fine!

• 

3 Messages

a month ago

Try turning off wifi and receiving mms using mobile data.

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

@Awesome14

There's no reason to HAVE to use mobile data.

It has been stated before that it does work this way, but this is a crutch fix that can cost people money.

Not all of us have unlimited data.

• 

2 Messages

PS: I don't have unlimited data either.

AT&T TV – All Your Entertainment In One Spot.  Learn more…