The Samsung Galaxy S24
shannaschueller's profile

• 

8 Messages

Thursday, February 24th, 2022 1:20 AM

Phone cannot make or receive calls

I have an unlocked Samsung Galaxy S9+ that I bought already unlocked at Best Buy a few years ago.  I was able to receive a phone call last night, but today I can't make or receive calls. My internet, etc. work and I can send and receive texts but not calls. I called customer service from my work phone and she tried all she knew but nothing fixed it. I restarted multiple times, even tried safe mode, nothing changes.  I got a new sim card. The rep used my phone to make a call and it worked.  I got to the parking lot and tried to make calls but couldn't. I went back in the store and he said there's nothing else he can try. I spoke to another customer there who had an unlocked galaxy S10 doing the same and that he had to get a new phone.

• 

16 Messages

2 years ago

So here is an update to my situation:

After three visits to the AT&T store (including for 4+ hours today) and four chats with online tech support, I now know the following:

1. My phone STILL can't make/get calls, since 3-1-22. Android 12 installed from AT&T's servers, model# SM-G973U, it is an AT&T Samsung S10 phone, not unlocked.
  2. We know the phone is fine.  A tech at the AT&T store put in a test SIM card (known to work) and then my phone can make/get calls like it should.  Put my SIM back in and no calling works at all.
  3. The reason I can't make/get calls has something to do with my account, NOT my phone.
  4. AT&T does NOT know how to fix my account.  The techs in the AT&T "war room" (which has been tasked to handle the "3G Sunset" issues) have given up trying to get me working.
  5. AT&T's official fix to get me calls again is for me to buy a new phone from them.  That's their final solution to the problem they've created.

I have come up with my own solution:

My family and I will be moving to T-Mobile instead.

Good luck everyone, but I don't think AT&T knows how to solve this for the majority of us.  I'm done spending my own time trying to work with them, it's just much easier to switch to T-Mobile and not deal with it any longer.

• 

211 Messages

2 years ago

@Mengy  they are blocking VOLTE on your account/IMEI. they seriously can not fix it?

• 

211 Messages

2 years ago

that's a HUGE problem. the only way to guarantee you will be able to connect to VOLTE is to buy from ATT. not many people are going to fall for the "free S22". FYI, it's NOT FREE. not even close.

• 

211 Messages

2 years ago

@Mengy to be clear, your S10 called using VOLTE with the "test SIM"?

it said 4GLTE during the test call?

(edited)

• 

16 Messages

2 years ago

My S10 says 4G LTE up top now, even though I can't make or get calls.  It did so both with my SIM and the test SIM.

• 

211 Messages

2 years ago

@Mengy  it will say LTE until you try and make a call... then it will try to switch to 3G or H+. and being those towers are decommissioned... it can't make a call.

i just did the "be all/end all" of tests. i swapped SIM's with my wife's provisioned ATT locked S8. her SIM in my phone shows VOLTE as NOT provisioned (meaning grayed out and turned OFF). my SIM in her phone... everything is provisioned and i'm on VOLTE.

what does this mean? it means AT&T is blocking non ATT IMEI numbers from accessing their 4G voice settings... they at least need to accept our IMEIs as actual AT&T IMEI numbers. obviously, AT&T is NOT allowing any NON AT&T IMEI numbers to be provisioned for VOLTE. even for factory unlocked phones. which i guess makes sense, because ATT probably already has a database of their own IMEIs. the question is will they just fricken add ours or would they rather (Edited per community guidelines) away the resources of their support teams and their customers on this endless circle (Edited per community guidelines)?

i mean, this short con to get people to finance new phones is seriously worth LOSING thousands, if not HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of long time AT&T customers?

i've been with them for over 21 years. that's obviously coming to an end real soon.

and they've basically made it a total crap shoot to buy a phone form anywhere other than AT&T.

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

2 years ago

Well I can tell you a s20 plus s21 ultra and a s22 ultra all work these are all u1 models.  I did try a note 20 ultra with a exynos chip and it was a no go.  

I think Att borked something up with certain accounts.  Prepaid looks more effected than post paid.

• 

211 Messages

2 years ago

the last time with ATT. basically they said "both you and your S10 can go F yourself. we will not provision the IMEI. EVER!"

screw this company! WOW!

at least they could have stuck it up my @ss WEEKS ago before i worked my @ss OFF to fix this issue.

any ATT reps see this, you know my account. send me a FREE Galaxy S21 or S22. other than that. BYE!

(edited)

• 

211 Messages

2 years ago

has ANYONE gotten their unlocked phones to work on VOLTE? i'm guessing NO?

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

2 years ago

Sure I about 10 unlocked phones that work just fine.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.