Pre-order the New Samsung Galaxy Z Flip4 & Galaxy Z Fold4 and, for a limited time, get twice the storage and a free case!
The Samsung Galaxy Z Flip4
shannaschueller's profile

• 

8 Messages

Thu, Feb 24, 2022 1:20 AM

Phone cannot make or receive calls

I have an unlocked Samsung Galaxy S9+ that I bought already unlocked at Best Buy a few years ago.  I was able to receive a phone call last night, but today I can't make or receive calls. My internet, etc. work and I can send and receive texts but not calls. I called customer service from my work phone and she tried all she knew but nothing fixed it. I restarted multiple times, even tried safe mode, nothing changes.  I got a new sim card. The rep used my phone to make a call and it worked.  I got to the parking lot and tried to make calls but couldn't. I went back in the store and he said there's nothing else he can try. I spoke to another customer there who had an unlocked galaxy S10 doing the same and that he had to get a new phone.

• 

14 Messages

6 m前

Yeah, ATT really screwed this up bad..

What's the point of having only certain phones on their network anyways? Does it really make the network faster?

• 

211 Messages

6 m前

totally. they said the G973U would work, i bought it, doesn't work. so MAKE IT WORK! because i'm NOT buying another phone. i'll just go to another network.

talk about not seeing the big picture. they'd rather short con me out of $15/mo. for LEASING an S22, instead of continuing to screw me out of like, what? $100/mo. in cell service? INGENIOUS!

• 

211 Messages

6 m前

I think I figured out what's going on. I THOUGHT I bought a G973U, but checking the phone profile it's a G973U1. same phone, but no "bloatware" from carriers... Which means no ATT HD voice. The software is just not on the phone.

Now ATT's whitelist SAYS it will support the U1 with a "software update" (same as the U version), but doesn't say if that update comes from Samsung or att.

Still trying to figure this out, but I think we're gonna have to reflash our firmware to the android U version that has every carrier's bloatware on it).  Which means you'll need a PC and Odin software. Yup, now you're becoming a hacker because att is trying to corner you against the wall to LEASE one of their phones 

Next step is to call Verizon and ask if the U1 will work on 4G voice with just a simple SIM swap. Meaning put a verizon sim in and it will automatically download their version of HD voice. If so, then screw it. Off to Verizon I go!

(edited)

Constructive

Employee

• 

28.7K Messages

6 m前

Leasing?🤦‍♂️

• 

211 Messages

6 m前

@Constructive  fine, not a lease... but unless i'm mistaken. i pay $800 upfront for the phone... with taxes, that takes it to nearly $1,000. THEN, ATT gives a "bill credit" at $15/mo. for 36 months.

so, let's do the math. 15x36=$540. so i paid $1k for a phone... and ATT's idea of "free" is to give me back $540 OVER 3 YEARS and i eat the rest. that's NOT a free phone!

• 

211 Messages

6 m前

i just chatted a samsung rep via online chat. i guess samsung is late on rolling out their android 12 release. it seems 12 has HD calling in its software. so, you'd use android HD voice, not ATT's enhanced calling feature or whatever they call it.

kinda makes sense as the unlocked phones (the ones that end with U1) have NO carrier bloatware... so no ATT HD voice. and ATT will not touch those phones because they want you to buy one of theirs. it's up to you to figure out how to get 4G calling. real nice, eh?

anyway, the guy said "he might be able to push the update earlier... with a winky smiley face. whatever that means. he asked for my IMEI number and said give him a little time.

so that was still kinda vague. but i think if enough of us go here and DEMAND the android 12 push, HOPEFULLY we can still use our phones on ATT 4G network.

i'm nearly positive if i took this same unlocked phone to T Mobile (or Verizon) and put on of their SIMs in it... T Mobile would just trigger a download of their apps and one of them would be HD Voice.

ATT isn't so reasonable.

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/?chat=auto

type "operator" to get a live person on chat.

(edited)

• 

14 Messages

6 m前

Thanks for some good info centaurus3200.

I think you would be lucky to get a update any time soon..

Again makes no since that my wifes S10E works and so does my moms S8.

In my case since my phone is locked to T-mobile I don't think it will ever work. (Edited per community guidelines) I don't even know why it worked fine before the 3G shutdown.  lol

Like I said in another thread. I ordered a unlocked S20 from ebay and going to sell my S10.

I agree with you though, I think it's ****** insane to pay monthly for a phone. I have enough monthly payments. I don't need another one. 

(edited)

• 

211 Messages

6 m前

@StevenClarkCoyote  i THINK the unlocked S20 should work? it has android 12, right?

keep in mind the deal with the G973U1 is it has NO carrier software on it. it's not even clear with the regular G973U (which has all the major carrier software pre-installed) will work anyway.

i think it doesn't matter if the S20 has ATT bloatware or not (as in you bought the S20 U1 version with no carrier software) because you'd be using android's VOLTE capabilities though system 12 anyway.

i did "force check" for a system update by connecting my phone to my PC running smart switch on the PC. nope, the latest update was december 2021.

purely hypothetical on my part, but i'm betting if you took your S10 to T Mobile or Verizon and installed one of their SIMs, the HD voice would magically just work because they would auto download whatever carrier software they need for it to.

ATT REFUSES to allow any U1 phones to download their HD voice software. MAYBE the "regular U phone" with all the bloatware, but who knows!

for anyone like me who is super annoyed that they are trying to brick an unlocked, non carrier S10, you probably can get it to work if you use Odin and reflash your phone to use the "regular U" android 11 with all the carrier software. OR better yet, install Android 12 yourself!

has anybody tried this?

how to check for software updates using smart switch on your computer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJXNn-tZ_Bk

(edited)

• 

211 Messages

6 m前

@StevenClarkCoyote your phone worked fine before the 3G shut down, because though it was a T Mobile phone, all you had to do was install your ATT SIM and change the APN settings manually. you will only get up to 3G voice though.

all these carries COULD have just let us have 4G, but they found a way to FORCE US to buy new phones. the retaliation would be to go to ANY US carrier that doesn't withhold 4G based on buying one of their locked carrier phones on a payment plan... like AT&T.

believe me AT&T's stock... as horrible as its been performing, is gonna take a real nose dive in the coming months for these greedy games!

• 

12 Messages

6 m前

I spent an hr with the AT&T tech team in reference to this. They had no answers. I couldnt make or receive calls. AT&T knew this was a problem for unlocked phones for awhile but chose to do nothing.When I first bought my Samsung Fold Z3 I had service issues and couldnt connect to 5G. I was told by an AT&T manager I shouldve bought the phone at AT&T. However this has been an issue for manh people who bought unlocked phones using AT&T. Since they couldnt fix the issue I went to a T-Mobile store todag and switched carriers. I cancelled my First net/AT&T service and now have T-Mobile Magenta. After the activation my phone showed 5G which it never did before when I was on AT&T and my phone can make and receive calls! AT&T lost someone that had been with them for 3yrs and will probably lose more customers as a result of their bad business.

• 

211 Messages

6 m前

@zjay101 you kept your old phone number, right? I assume so?

I've been with AT&T for over 21 years and they are clearly Flipping me the bird regardless.

Their obvious directive is to push the unlocked folks to the "free" S22. 

To reiterate... It's NOT anywhere close to free. 

You pay about $800 plus tax... So close to $1,000 up front. THEN, AT&T will give you a $15/mo. Bill credit for 36 months.

Anyone that can do basic math will figure out that $15X36 months is only $540. So you basically gave ATT a negative interest 3 year loan. Lol!

And what do you wanna bet they will raise their monthly fee, or find some extra "taxes" to tack onto your monthly bill to offset that $15/mo. Credit for your allegedly "free phone"?

I'll play chicken with them. I'll wait for the android 12 update. If it comes before they shut down HSPA and it actually does give me 4G voice, I'll stay... BUT if they brick my S10, I can literally walk down the street to the T Mobile dealer and buh bye. 

(edited)

• 

12 Messages

6 m前

@centaurus3200 Yes, I switched my number over. It was all a quick process.

• 

211 Messages

6 m前

@zjay101 awesome!

Of course, now you gotta watch your bills like a hawk, because you can bet att will "accidentally" forget to close out your account. 

(edited)

• 

12 Messages

6 m前

@centaurus3200 I think it may be time to make a switch. AT&T has become so predatory. I liked AT&T's Firstnet because it was priced competively compared to other carriers. Im a first responder and cant afford to not have service. Im paying alittle more with T-Mobile but the customer service was 10 times better and they also gave me free Netflix and other promotions which was nice.

• 

211 Messages

6 m前

Anybody explored mint mobile? It uses T mobiles network. Seems intriguing. 

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.