The Samsung Galaxy S24
bdclary's profile

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

Monday, November 2nd, 2015 9:45 PM

"Ok Google" detection no longer works on lock screen [Galaxy S5]

I just noticed today that my Galaxy S5 no longer responds to "Ok Google" when on the lock screen (screen is on, but device is still locked by fingerprint).  I use Google Launcher and checked the "Ok Google" detection settings and verified that "From any screen" setting is enabled.

This worked the last time I used it (probably two or three weeks ago), and last week (Oct 26th), I applied the 5.1.1 OTA update.  Did this update disable "Ok Google" detection on the lock screen?

Thanks,

Brian

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

8 years ago

@bdclary wrote:

@Lilybell2 wrote:

@bdclary  You need to use a PIN number to unlock your screen.   

Would you please clarify?  Do I need a PIN number to unlock my screen with "Ok Google"?

Yes, you need to use a PIN number to unlock your screen with "Ok Google." 

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

8 years ago

Same here.  The only option to wake is "hi Galaxy".  Once awake I can give Galaxy directions.  Or I can wake Google and give Google directions.

I hope this will find a solution we can both try

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

8 years ago

@lizdance40 wrote:

Same here.  The only option to wake is "hi Galaxy".  Once awake I can give Galaxy directions.  Or I can wake Google and give Google directions.

I hope this will find a solution we can both try

So "Ok Google" detection when the device is locked and screen is on used to work for you, but no longer works?

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

samsung took that feature away...  It was removed on the s6 when it was released.  Samsung wants users to use s voice.  I use nova launcher which allows ok google from anywhere.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

8 years ago

If they want me to use S-voice, they will have to make it actually work.   

It will do some tasks.  But try to set a calendar event...  What a pain.

ACE - Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

8 years ago

"OK Google" is working just fine on my S5 running Lollipop 5.1.1.  It works on any screen as well as the lock screen when the scrren is on but still locked. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

8 years ago

"Ok Google" works if the screen is on, but will not wake/unlock the phone.

In order to wake my phone when screen is off, I have to use "hi Galaxy"

The phone will perform tasks as "Galaxy", to a point.

Google does the job better and I can do multiple tasks without touching the phone again.

Galaxy does one task, then I have to tap the mic or wait for it to sleep again.  

Why? (Rhetorical)

I find the settings lack any explaination.  I considered the two are fighting internally for control (tiny, virtual light sabers).  I have excepted the limitations and go old school with fingers now and then.  I find it comforting that Apple has been unable to wake their phones for Siri until the 6S, but only slightly so.

*the iPhone 6 will wake when plugged into power, the 6s does not require it

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

8 years ago

@Lilybell2 wrote:

"OK Google" is working just fine on my S5 running Lollipop 5.1.1.  It works on any screen as well as the lock screen when the scrren is on but still locked. 

Which launcher are you using?

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

8 years ago

@lizdance40 wrote:

"Ok Google" works if the screen is on, but will not wake/unlock the phone.

Right.  I knew "Ok Google" was not used to wake/unlock the phone.  But it had been working when the screen is on and locked.

I just tried this while the phone was charging, and it worked intermittently--the phone responded to "Ok Google" with the screen on but locked.  So I have a feeling the 5.1.1 update is very buggy, or maybe there is something specific about my device that is causing the issue (which is why I have been asking which launcher others are using).

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

8 years ago

It's frustrating.  I tried to use s voice to add a calendar appointment for the following Wednesday. It only works if you know the exact date on Wednesday.   It ended up adding a calendar event for the same day, even though it was passed the time already.

also, once I wake with s voice I can't get it to go away and let me use google.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.