Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Thu, Mar 26, 2015 5:25 PM

Note 4 Lollipop update lost my private mode files

I just updated my Note 4 (SM-N910A) to Lollipop and my files from Private Mode are missing. I can move new files to and from Private Mode, but the files that were there before the update no longer show up when Private Mode is turned on...

Responses

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

Same thing happened to me.  If you plug the phone into the computer and enable Private Mode you'll see that the folder structure has been what I can only describe as encrypted.  I have important files in there that can't be replaced.  I only hope they come up with a fix to restore these files!

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

Same problem if att don't fix this i will definitely be switching company's so many problems with them and been a customer for 15 years I'm so mad about this
tailgunner9

Scholar

• 

400 Messages

6 years ago

Why you should make backup before Updates same as doing backups on your home PC, so you do not loose things.  People will Never Learn.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

I have the same problem.  Activating Private Mode does mount a bunch of files and folders under /storage/Private as it should, but it seems to be a bunch of encrypted and renamed files.  So it looks like activating Private Mode partly works, but the part that decrypts the files is broken.  Please fix this!  I don't know how this was not caught in QA.

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

20.3K Messages

6 years ago

it was not caught because most people dont use that feature of the phone.  I would contact samsung since knox is there baby.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

I don't believe this is a Samsung problem. I see no such complaints in the t-mobile forums about their Note 4 lollipop update.  So this seems to be only for AT&T.  Also, AT&T had a long time to test this update.  To release an update with a data corruption bug is absurd.

tailgunner9

Scholar

• 

400 Messages

6 years ago

And locking bootloader is an AT&T thing, Correct????   Never mind not worth effort.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

Also I always back my phone up problem is it prompted me like 10 times a hour I would click remind me later and 5 mins later it would pop back up and i was texting my gf and it popped up and i hit yes so 4 years of work lost

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

Oh wait, I'm seeing this as a problem in the past for Galaxy S5 users moving to Lollipop.  So this is a known issue!  But no solution listed yet.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Is there a way to undo this update...I've lost so many important files...
tailgunner9

Scholar

• 

400 Messages

6 years ago

People maybe will learn some day to back up files with Samsung Kies or something.  Some have never learned and loose pictures and files off their PC because they do not Backup important files and pictures.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

Ya I wish I could undo it myself like I said i normally back my phone up also but I accidentally clicked yes while sending a text because it kept prompting me to update every 5 mins remind me later doesn't mean every 5 mins

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

6 years ago

tailgunner9... Telling us over and over again that backing up the files would have prevented this is not helpful nor is it even close to a solution... Also, I'm pretty sure that it is a problem with the encryption/decryption thinking this is a different phone... So a back-up of encrypted files wouldn't fix it anyways... Besides, the files I had in private are contain sensitive information, having multiple copies would lower the security as there would be more access points to the info... Again, the files are there, they are just encrypted and the update must have changed the decryption thus making the files unreadable... cchuck, I too will be switching companies as soon as my mom finished her NEXT plan...
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

78.1K Messages

6 years ago

Copied from an android forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sporklover
. Any idea of where private mode stores the files? I had a few GB of data stored in there, now that its not working I want to make sure I no longer have those files clogging up precious GBs on device storage.

2. Is the only way to get it back is to re-flash the stock rom?

3. I think I might have broken Private Mode by trying out ART. Now when I go into Developer Options, I notice that it always says Dalvik....When I switch to ART and reboot, and check the Developer options, it still says Dalvik. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks for any thoughts

Answer:
1. It doesn't double up your data, Private Mode only encrypt your data which you want to keep your data safe, so it's just right where your data is supposed to be
2. Unless you disable your private mode before re-flash rom, you will lose access to your encrypted data. what's the point of privacy when you just simply reflash to get yours back, so anyone can do that
3. You might be using xposed framework, it will not let you switch to ART runtime

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

6 years ago

If doing an OS update from the carrier, not a rom flash, would cause a change in encryption protocols then there needs to be warnings to move files out of private/turn off encryption... I also had no idea it was an update to Lollipop... All my phone told me was there was an update available... I assumed it was just bug fixes and security updates...

Get started...

Ask a new question