For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
Emc2Wes's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Saturday, October 10th, 2015 6:32 PM

Note 4 5.1.1 Update error

When I try to update, it downloads, restarts, gets about 1%, then says error. It reboots back to my lock screen and doesnt update. If I try to go to settings and then check for updates, I have to wait another 24 hours...

I've booted holding the power, home, and volume up buttons and wiped my cache. when it reboots from there, it tries to install the update upon reboot, but then says "no command"

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I can't wait to see my phone run like everyone says it does on this update!

Edit: BTW, on stock Touchwiz. Never been rooted.

Thanks in advance,

Wes

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

@lhbanchik wrote:
That seems to be the 'fix' which is most successful but is not, in my opinion, acceptable. No other carrier's updates are having this issue so it's not a Samsung issue but rather the 'customizations' AT&T has added to the update. It ridiculous to have to completely wipe your device for a minor update (Lollipop to Marshmallow is a different story) and the spend the hours necessary to rebuild it just for this.

at 694mb compressed its not a minor update...  Att cant account for the things people have downloaded that might stop the update.  I have said that they should have a script and just wipe the devices when updating.  Have 2 s6's that updated to 5.1.1 without a problem the third didnt update till I wiped it.  It was my kids and she downloads all kinds of junk.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

This one worked for me.  I cleared the cache and also deleted miscellaneous data files (about 1.95 GB).  It freed enough room for the update to run (7.65 GB in system memory and 10.95 GB available space in the telephone). 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

I have 12.32 GB available. I cleared cached data. It still failed.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

Retried using system reboot to clear unattached cache. I still got the same error. I guess the the next step is a trip to Best Buy tomorrow?

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

@kandieman wrote:

Retried using system reboot to clear unattached cache. I still got the same error. I guess the the next step is a trip to Best Buy tomorrow?

call first to make sure they have the image.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

Will do Thanks

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

I've tried everything listed many times over the last and still no luck....any ideas??

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

I went to Best Buy. I found the Samsung "expert" and told him my problem. He flash my Note 4 with the latest update. When it was done I checked the version, it was still 5.01. When I showed it to him he said that was the latest version my phone could accept. When I told him about 5.1 he said it would break the Note 4. I told him some people on the forum have successfully completed the upgrade. He said it works on some and breaks other. My next move will be to load a new rom on the phone and dump all things Samsung and ATT.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

You can't flash a new rom the bootloader is locked up tight. Heck root for
the phone is only temp and only works sometimes.

Mentor

• 

7 Messages

9 years ago

The Best Buy guy is wrong, that update was certified by Samsung and AT&T for the Note 4 and, if installed properly, will not break your phone. The issue seems to be that you need at least 10 - 12 gigs of free system memory to do the install. That's why a factory reset sometimes will solve the problem.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.