AT&T Holiday Deals & Gifts - Don't miss these holiday deals on the latest devices!
The Samsung Galaxy Z Flip4
Eric121's profile

• 

2 Messages

Tue, Sep 13, 2022 12:03 PM

Not AT&T Compatible

I am looking for a plan to purchase while working in the US and was planning on AT&T, and I am looking to bring my new Samsung A53, purchased in Europe, over as a BYOD. The compatibility check for IMEI is saying im not compatible, but both tmobile and verizon are saying my device is compatible for BYOD. Why is it not compatible with AT&T, and how can I change that?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

102.2K Messages

3 months ago

You won't be able to use AT&T with that phone. If T-Mobile will allow it, use them.

The European model does not have band 13, so I find it hard to believe that Verizon will allow it because that is a requirement.  Band 13 is Verizon's primary LTE connection.

The Verizon branded, SM-A536V, has band 13.  

SM-A536U does not

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

60.9K Messages

3 months ago

It is not compatible with ATT because it’s not on ATT’s list of compatible phones probably because it does not support ATT’s version of VoLTE called HDVoice. You can’t change that, only Samsung can.

• 

2 Messages

3 months ago

Ok guys, thanks for the info. The Verizon CSAs were giving me the runaround yesterday, since their IMEI self check was down, so i think they just told me it worked without checking. Honestly tmobile is a toss-up on if an import phone will work.

In that case, I'll just have to get a new cheap phone that works on AT&T. I need to do international calling and roaming, and check emails. if you have any device suggestions that are cheap, let me know. 

• 

14 Messages

3 months ago

I had problem with my Boost Mobile phone.  Worked fine with att at first  but kept getting texts and calls said was not compatible.  I found an $80 phone at Walmart.  Its very similar to one i had before that worked great in Canada also.

ACE - Sage

• 

102.2K Messages

3 months ago

@Eric121

When you sign up for AT&T service there are a bunch of cheap phones that you can purchase with the service, and if you're going to stay for a while go ahead. Those phones are locked to AT&T for 6 months.

If you don't want to completely waste your money, shop at Best Buy. Best Buy's Us stores have unlocked phones that are labeled as compatible with AT&T.

The imei is on the box, so check before they process a sale.  

https://www.att.com/buy/byod/identify?devicetype=phone

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.