Our Community Forums will be closing on June 27, 2024. Please visit att.com/support for all your support needs.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
mtperry's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Saturday, April 4th, 2015 5:52 AM

No text notification Sound when text Message is Open on Galaxy s5

I'm using the basic Messaging program installed.

Text notification sounds work fine when a text message is closed.  If Ihave the text string open and a new one comes in, no sound.  This worked before.  Now, I have to constantly watch the phone to see when a new one comes in or constantly close the message.

All started just recently when I updated the phone to 4.4.4.

I've tried all the fixes to turn on Notification sounds - even did a factory reset tonight.  Still doesn't work.  No other messagin program is installed.

All other Notification sounds work great - just not when a text is open...

Ambassador

• 

518 Messages

9 years ago

mtperry,

Thanks for reaching out to us. This was a feature change with the update and is not a configurable option. There is no sound for notifications while the app is open. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Thank you,

Samsung Support ^Kov

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

Ar you serious? This is a terrible backwards step for Samsung if this is the case. I am having this issue as well, and it is not good. I am really liking most of the new features with the update, but this makes no sense. Please try to find a fix for it or configure an update to fix this problem!

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

I know - this is a TERRIBLE feature. One that may make me switch back to
the iPhone. I have certain texts open most of the day - I've lost a lot of
time checking my phone constantly....

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

You really need to add this back into the app. It's terrible to no longer
get a notification. Do you have any idea how much time I've wasted trying
to find a solution??? I may go back to iPhone.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

This needs to be changed ASAP!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

This is absolutely ridiculous.  There is no purpose to have NO notification if the texting app is open.  It is a waste of battery use having to keep it open so you don't miss a text.  Is this a ploy to get all customers to buy Iphones???? I will switch to a different carrier before I pay for a new phone.  With all the better deals out there from other carries this is a stupid move on ATT' s part.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

Has anyone found a fix around this problem, or different message ap that will give notification?  I'll be switching phones and carriers for this when the contract is up.  Text messages are an important method of communication these days. I can not be missing messages.  Its a shame some pin head in a position of authority made the decision to allow this to happen.  

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

This is a terrible inconvenience.  Please put it back, I am missing text messages and I need to be able to work effectively.   I've switched from iPhone to Samsung because the phone got such a good rating - I'm ready to switch back to iPhone.  

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

Imagine this scenario:

My phone beeps, I have a text message.  

I open said text message and type a reply.

I press send, then I put the phone down on the desk/carseat/pocket

Fifteen minutes later, I remember that I was having a text conversation.

I look at my phone again, and discover that I have received 5 messages in return

Because the conversation was open, there was no notification sound or vibration

By the time I read the messages, 15 minutes have passed, and the other person has now moved on with their life and left the conversation.

How the heck is this a usability enhancement?

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

use a different messaging app there are 100's out there.  Hangouts is one.  Chompsms is another.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.