The Samsung Galaxy S24
E

• 

5 Messages

Friday, August 6th, 2021 12:55 AM

MCK from Samsung

I have a Samsung Galaxy S10+ that was originally from AT&T, and I have incorrectly entered 3 network unlock keys. Now I need the Master Code Key from Samsung. I have read that the only way to get this is by having AT&T contact Samsung for the MCK. I have asked Samsung 5 times, and they refuse every time, saying that it's an AT&T issue. When I ask AT&T, they say they do not have the MCK and that only Samsung is able to provide it. 

Really, they're both telling the truth. Basically, Samsung needs to hear from AT&T that I'm using a phone I purchased (and didn't steal) from them, so that Samsung can unlock it for me. I get the protocol, I really do.

My question is: How do I get AT&T to care enough and take time to UNDERSTAND my issue (not assume my issue) that they will contact Samsung to provide an MCK (sometimes also known as an "unfreeze" code)?

Please, I need an agent who:

1. Cares.

2. Understands my problem.

3. Wants to help solve my problem.

4. DOES NOT tell me to contact Samsung. I've done that 5 or 6 times already. It's not true.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

116.9K Messages

3 years ago

I don't know who told you this, but it's not true.

The only way you get the MCK is by paying an unlock service.  

AT&T doesn't have it.

They cannot tell Samsung to provide it.

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

I have the exact same issue. Samsung told me and the ATT rep that I confernced in that it was against the law for them to provide the number. Other times Samsung says they do not have it. It goes to the provider that orders the phones. Honestly, this issue needs some looking into. We own the phone, it is a verified purchase through ATT. I tried a few of the Samsung codes but they did not work on this A6.

Has anybody found a reputable unlock service? Not an oversees scam?

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

2 years ago

What part of AT&T doesn’t have the code don’t people understand? 

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

2 years ago

Yep it’s AT&T fault the code Samsung provided didn’t work 🤦‍♂️Typical 

• 

5 Messages

2 years ago

No. I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying it's AT&T's fault for "unlocking" my phone via their unlock request process and then it wasn't actually unlocked when I went to use it in another country. That's AT&T's fault. 100%

Additionally, even if AT&T doesn't have the MCK, that's not what the last few comments were about anymore. Chill out and stop defending AT&T about not having the MCK. We get it. I'm merely being helpful to someone who has the same problem as I had. They're looking for an unlock service, and I'm providing feedback to them. 

Lastly, instead of trolling people on AT&T forums, you could find a way to be CONSTRUCTIVE (ironic that your comments do not reflect your username) about the issue. Help find a solution. There's obviously a huge communication gap between Samsung and AT&T for what seems to be an irreversible mistake and a quite common problem. 

People would appreciate helpful feedback on these forums rather than one liners and face palm emojis.

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

2 years ago

This is a customer populated forum not AT&T support and no one replying is representing AT&T in any official capacity except AT&T help and they have responded several times saying AT&T doesn’t have the code. What would you expect me or anyone else to do to be constructive when the dead horse has been beaten? We’ve been in the forums 14 years or more and you’ve been here a minute. People just want to complain when they get the correct answer but not the answer they want to hear so ask away a 100 times the answer will be the same 

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

I may not like ATT answer but I own the phone that was bought through ATT. Why do I not receive the MCK code with the phone? There is a database somewhere. It would be nice if ATT would work on obtaining it for their customers. This is a common issue and could be easily addressed. Just a suggestion. Crickets...

Since I just joined, I have an unjaded view of your responses and you come off as an asshat, like a few of the other support people that have taken my call. Do not listen, talk over you, talk to you like an (Edited per community guidelines) then hang up. Top notch service. No useful input from the Constructive Employee!

I have had the pleasure of talking to some good support people. They honestly want to help but they do not have the info, tools or support of their management. Thank you to those people.

Seems odd that the manufacture and the provider do not want to give us the key to their product or service that we purchased and are verified.

(edited)

ACE - Sage

• 

116.9K Messages

2 years ago

@emchitt 

I have incorrectly entered 3 network unlock keys

3 different codes?   At&t has one code per imei, how have you 3 codes?   And it takes 5 to 10 tries before becoming permanently locked.  

What do mean... 

AT&T's fault for "unlocking" my phone via their unlock request process and then it wasn't actually unlocked when I went to use it in another country.

Did it indicate "unlock successful" when you entered the code? 

Were you able to get the mck code by paying an unlock service?

Or is the phone still locked, and still unable to be used by another carrier?

When you insert a SIM card from a different carrier did it say 'sim not supported' in the notification bar?  Sim not supported would indicate the phone is not unlocked. 

Or did you simply receive no service notification?  No service indicates the phone is unlocked but not compatible with your carrier. 

• 

5 Messages

2 years ago

1. There were granted a certain number of attempts to unlock my phone with an "network unlock code." I didn't know what that meant, because I'd never tried to use my phone in another country. Additionally, my phone was supposed to be unlocked, so I guess I just thought it was talking about a number on the new SIM card I'd inserted. I couldn't fathom that it was because it was still locked to AT&T service. I entered an incorrect network unlock key too many times. I don't remember how many it was. I thought it was 3. It never warned me that I only had a certain number of attempts left.

2. I never got to enter a real NCK (Network Code Key) because I locked the phone to manufacturer lock. So there was no way that it could say "unlock successful."

3. I never got the MCK from an unlock service. I don't think they can get these, unless they bribe a Samsung employee? All they can do, from what I gathered, is try to hack your phone to unlock it. They were unsuccessful in doing so to my phone.

4. My phone is still locked. It is useless. Maybe I can use it on AT&T again, in the USA (where I won't be living again for a long time), but I don't want to do that anyway because I consider this whole situation their fault.

5. Yes, it says SIM not supported. No offense, but that's what I'm saying, and I'm aware: my phone was not unlocked. But I had it unlocked by AT&T, and the unlock was seemingly successful because I used it with a different pre-paid service for a month in the US before moving to Honduras. So I'm not sure why it was locked again when trying to use a Honduran SIM.

6. No, it definitely said that the SIM wasn't supported. The phone was compatible. I checked the compatibility requirements (something about frequency?) of the local Claro carrier in Honduras to make sure. Additionally, another expat who arrived here with me had the exact same make & model of phone, and hers worked without issue on the Claro network.

Not that any of this really matters now. I gave up on the fight and bought a new phone directly from Samsung.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.9K Messages

2 years ago

Thank you I appreciate the polite reply.

1 & 2.  Most carriers do lock phones in the United States. AT&T phones are locked out of the box. I don't know why anyone would tell you it was unlocked.  Samsung phone give 5 or 10 attempts.  After which you do get a notification that a phone is permanently locked and will ask for the mck code.

3.   Don't know or care.  It worked for me.  Since AT&T never gets the mck code, that code cannot come from a t & t and has to come from Samsung.  The unlock code only comes from AT&T, via the portal.  Even if you do speak with someone on the phone from customer support, they are manually entering the same information into the computer portal that you would do yourself in order to force the email sending you an unlock code. 

4. So sell or give to someone coming to the USA.  Especially if someone is trying to bring over a phone that's made for Latin America, Europe or Asia, that won't be allowed on AT&T service. The 3-g shutdown has eliminated a lot of European or Asian phones from the network.

5.   There are literally 2 dozen + USA mvnos of at&t service.  AT&T locked phones work on all of them. You would not even get the pop up to ask for a code. One mvno will actually relock phones (Wing Alpha), but same unlock code still works. 

6.  ☑️

In the end, you could have saved yourself a whole lot of trouble by asking about the whole process and verifying your phone was unlocked way before you left AT&T, before you used another mvno, and before you move to Honduras. It's a whole lot easier to call AT&T as an existing customer and get them to help you process an unlock on a phone that you were still using on their Network.

Personally after a couple of years if using AT&T phones that were locked to the network and having to use a pay service to unlock a phone that someone sold me and didn't pay off, I have sworn to stay with unlocked phones from now on.   

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.