Let AT&T help you elebrate your dad with Father's Day Gifts that connect us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
tben01's profile

Mentor

• 

101 Messages

Monday, April 11th, 2016 3:44 PM

Marshmallow update for the Galaxy S6 edge

Can someone please tell me when AT&T will release Marshmallow for the Galaxy S6 and S6 edge? It seems like all other major carriers have already done so. I know AT&T is always the last to release updates, but I just need to have an idea when it might do so.

Thabnk you.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

So what about the edge plus? After all the edge plus is the most expensive to buy, yet tools at AT&T just left those owners who spent 1000.00 on the phone out in the lurch. What's more, after many people asked about it on this bizarrely long thread, AT&T reps who got into this thread just disappeared into the ether from whence they came, refusing to answering anything more, and figuring a two phone release for mm was satisfactory enough.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

@Condortx

the edge plus was cheaper than the s6 edge.  so if you payed a grand you got ripped off.  Mine was 815.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

When can I download the upgrade for the s6 active?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

Exactly when is this update coming to the 6 Edge+???? Why is this taking so long? By the time the update gets here the 8 Edge will be out. This is extremely frustrating especially seeing literally everyone else and every other service provider push the update. Hurry up!!!

Guru

• 

629 Messages

8 years ago

@pstewart01

@Smilly

These questions are perfect for @ATTKevin to answer.  He seems to be the only employee who is open to discussing this topic in actual conversation, instead of simply providing the "canned response" most employees give.  Message him regarding your update questions and you should be quite pleased with the result.  

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

I wonder about the delay.  

There are several websites that track "time to release updates" sliced/diced across platforms, etc. Usually, AT&T is at the back of the pack on these.  This has to hurt them some, but maybe they do figure that enough people just "buy the next phone" that it gets offset, I'm sure there's a calculation somewhere, and that there's a decision made as to what's "reasonable delay". 

I've done my share of OS development and testing (not mobile, msotly), and believe me, if there's enough resources, you can get the add-ons completed and tested, quickly, particularly because in this case, the OS iteself is largely tested by a OEM already, who provide their test suites to providers, to make sure that  the add-ons don't affect the general OS functionality/stability, typically they have to do is re-run these, and test their add-ons.

I'm with you, again, because I've done my share of OS work, I'll never go back to huge delays in releases, I'll stick with un-branded phones, the security risk is just too large to be running with a device with known compromises.  If you know about them, believe me, the people that are going to use the exploits REALLY know...

I wonder how long it will be before there's a model more like the rest of the world, where we own our own phones, and get updates from OEM/IHV partners, and then the bloatware gets pushed down.  I suspect this is where we're going, once they decide that un-branded phones need to have all the features, I think this is what's holding things back right now, the fact you can only get VoLTE (AT&T's version anyway, a CODEC one) and WiFi calling, amongst other things, with a branded device.  Once this changes, given that we're not getting subsidies for phones on contract anymore, I think a "phone will be just a phone", like everywher else, hopefully ;-]

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

I wonder about the delay.  

There are several websites that track "time to release updates" sliced/diced across platforms, etc. Usually, AT&T is at the back of the pack on these.  This has to hurt them some, but maybe they do figure that enough people just "buy the next phone" that it gets offset, I'm sure there's a calculation somewhere, and that there's a decision made as to what's "reasonable delay". 

I've done my share of OS development and testing (not mobile, msotly), and believe me, if there's enough resources, you can get the add-ons completed and tested, quickly, particularly because in this case, the OS iteself is largely tested by a OEM already, who provide their test suites to providers, to make sure that  the add-ons don't affect the general OS functionality/stability, typically they have to do is re-run these, and test their add-ons.

I'm with you, again, because I've done my share of OS work, I'll never go back to huge delays in releases, I'll stick with un-branded phones, the security risk is just too large to be running with a device with known compromises.  If you know about them, believe me, the people that are going to use the exploits REALLY know...

I wonder how long it will be before there's a model more like the rest of the world, where we own our own phones, and get updates from OEM/IHV partners, and then the bloatware gets pushed down.  I suspect this is where we're going, once they decide that un-branded phones need to have all the features, I think this is what's holding things back right now, the fact you can only get VoLTE (AT&T's version anyway, a CODEC one) and WiFi calling, amongst other things, with a branded device.  Once this changes, given that we're not getting subsidies for phones on contract anymore, I think a "phone will be just a phone", like everywher else, hopefully ;-]

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Why isn't their a site with the update for anyone wanting it to download it? I got the conformation that I could upgrade, but it was a friday night, and I was out with less than 50% so i was going to wait until the next day. Now I go to check for upgrades and says that i'm current. However, I am still running 5.1.1. AND I WORK FOR ATT!?!?! 

Guru

• 

629 Messages

8 years ago

@blehblahbleh

I hate to say it, but that site you mention will, most likely, never happen.  A very small percentage of the OMs have the update available on their servers for their carrier devices before the carrier makes it available.  An example of this is Samsung, although I don't think that's intentional.  The only way for customers to get a software update even remotely close to when Google releases the new version is to get a Nexus device.  For those of us with carrier branded devices, this is the price we pay.  Since you've already received the notification that there's an update available for your device, but have been unsuccessful downloading it, I would get in touch with technical support, review the issue with them, and see if they can push the update to you.  

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

@blehblahbleh wrote:

Why isn't their a site with the update for anyone wanting it to download it? I got the conformation that I could upgrade, but it was a friday night, and I was out with less than 50% so i was going to wait until the next day. Now I go to check for upgrades and says that i'm current. However, I am still running 5.1.1. AND I WORK FOR ATT!?!?! 

@blehblahbleh

you will get it but you got sent to the back of the line.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.