Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 8/31. See all protection plans.
taliawhite

Teacher

• 

30 Messages

Tue, Apr 19, 2016 8:04 PM

Marshmallow 6.0 for Note 5?

Why is it that every carrier except AT&T has updated Note 5 to Marshmallow. TMObile released theirs yesterday. We are the only carrier without it! Makes me want to switch!

Responses

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

4 years ago

AT&T has been beta testing Marshmallow on the Note 5 with a limited pool of 200 users since the first week of February.

Verizon went OTA on March 4th with Marshmallow for the Note 5

Sprint went OTA on March 24th with Martshmallow for the Note 5 and others.

T-Mobile went OTA Last week. (This one you where at least accurate in).

So what exactly is AT&T testing?  They all got the software at the same time.  I have read in some android forum threads and in the XDA forums a conversation between an AT&T rep and a user stating that AT&T is having issues integrating there bloatware into Marshmallow and that is what is delaying the release of the update.  I actually tend to believe that somewhat.

That link you posted is rehashed every 2-3 days.  They add new info at the bottom of the post but never update 95% of the rest of it so it is definitely not current news.

Why mark your answer as solved when it is not even close to being accurate.  I can say the same thing.  It's released when AT&T says its released.  We are looking for the reason why it's delayed not the marketing answer.

David606

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

4 years ago

I love the bloatware conspiracies. Quite entertaining.

Loading up a few APKs takes zero time. In fact that part of the process takes no time whatsoever. If there were problems with AT&T FamilyMaps, Navigator and such on Marshmallow...then why do they run on the S7, G4 and HTC One A9? Because it's a non-issue.

The pre-installed apps theories are bogus. Testing doesn't have anything to do with that.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Community Support

• 

15.2K Messages

4 years ago

Hello @taliawhite !

Thank you for posting your concerns. I’m sorry to hear about your frustrations waiting on the Marshmallow update.

Right now, AT&T is working hard to make Marshmallow available for as many Android devices as possible.

We conduct more testing on OS updates before release than other carriers to ensure our customers continue to have a great experience with our network and services.
As a rule, we generally do not post information on device updates until the day of release and are unable to forecast availability of any OS update.

Rest assured when available, you will receive an over the air notification on your device with step-by-step instructions to update your software.

Regards,
-JP, AT&T Social Media Manager

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.
Follow us on: Twitter @ATTHelp and @DIRECTVService

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

20.1K Messages

4 years ago

@ATTMobilityCare wrote:

Hello @@taliawhite!

Thank you for posting your concerns. I’m sorry to hear about your frustrations waiting on the Marshmallow update.

Right now, AT&T is working hard to make Marshmallow available for as many Android devices as possible.

We conduct more testing on OS updates before release than other carriers to ensure our customers continue to have a great experience with our network and services.
As a rule, we generally do not post information on device updates until the day of release and are unable to forecast availability of any OS update.

Rest assured when available, you will receive an over the air notification on your device with step-by-step instructions to update your software.

Regards,
-JP, AT&T Social Media Manager

@ATTMobilityCare

JP that canned message is getting old...  you have been posting the same message for over a month...  Cut and paste wow that takes work.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

13 Messages

4 years ago

Well said berwyn, yeah why are u marking this as solved lyndace or whatever is spelled, this will be solved when att release the update and hope that they make their apps uninstalable.
GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

20.1K Messages

4 years ago

@Rocket83 wrote:
Well said berwyn, yeah why are u marking this as solved lyndace or whatever is spelled, this will be solved when att release the update and hope that they make their apps uninstalable.

@Rocket83

bloatware is never going to be uninstallable...  disable it and go on.  If you want no bloat get a nexus or unlocked phone.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

4 years ago

Because they can.

Tutor

• 

13 Messages

4 years ago

I have a samsung phone bcz i love em and i dont like nexus phone, the problems is that samsung let the carriers install too much trash in our phones hope one day they do what apple do (wont allow trash from carriers).

Make em unistalable? Yes they can.

See whats happening to google in EU for forcing people to use their apps (forcing=uninstalable apps).
Hope the US follow that.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/The-EU-Commission-could-fine-Google-7.45-billion-for-pre-loading-its-apps-on-Android-smartphones_id80307

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

4 years ago

@BerwynAnarky wrote:

Why mark your answer as solved when it is not even close to being accurate.  I can say the same thing.  It's released when AT&T says its released.  We are looking for the reason why it's delayed not the marketing answer.

Thank you! I was thinking the same thing!

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

20.1K Messages

4 years ago

@Rocket83 wrote:
I have a samsung phone bcz i love em and i dont like nexus phone, the problems is that samsung let the carriers install too much trash in our phones hope one day they do what apple do (wont allow trash from carriers).

Make em unistalable? Yes they can.

See whats happening to google in EU for forcing people to use their apps (forcing=uninstalable apps).
Hope the US follow that.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/The-EU-Commission-could-fine-Google-7.45-billion-for-pre-loading-its-apps-on-Android-smartphones_id80307

@Rocket83

You can buy unlocked samsung phones that dont have carrier bloat....

Now the EU thing well I dont think its going to stick because if they fine google there going to have to fine APPLE.  

As for the USA the carriers can add whatever they want to the phone and make it uninstallable since they own the software and just licence it to you to use on the phone.  My point was the carriers are not going to give up there control.

Voyager

• 

6 Messages

4 years ago

been a 20 yr customer tired of always waiting on At&t, taking my 4 lines and jumping ship 

Tutor

• 

13 Messages

4 years ago

I switched from sprint to att couple years ago but i think i might switch to another carrier too and take my 7 lines with me.
GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

20.1K Messages

4 years ago

@Rocket83 wrote:
I switched from sprint to att couple years ago but i think i might switch to another carrier too and take my 7 lines with me.

I cant switch the only other carrier would be verizon but there phone policy is not the best in the world.  I like the fact I can buy a asus phone and use it on att.

Tutor

• 

13 Messages

4 years ago

Tmobile has a great deal right now 4 lines with 10gb of lte for each line for only $35 each and works great were i live.
lcalle

Guru

• 

629 Messages

4 years ago

@GLIMMERMAN76

Excellent point.  I agree completely.  Could carriers make their "proprietary apps" able to be uninstalled? Yes.  Will they? Not in a million years, in my opinion.  

Get started...

Ask a new question