The Samsung Galaxy S24
J

• 

3 Messages

Saturday, January 18th, 2020 6:27 AM

Incoming calls being answered remotely by stranger

Hello, thanks in advance for any help.

I have a Galaxy S8+. I formerly used a Samsung Gear S3 smartwatch with it's own phone number, and I had the "Number Sync" feature linked to my phone. If you aren't aware, that is a feature that would allow me to answer calls on my watch that were inbound to my phone. Well after a year I decided I didn't need the phone line on my watch any longer, so I closed it.

Somehow, even though the watch no longer has an active phone line, and the Number Sync feature is disabled and the watch/phone are no longer linked... incoming calls to my phone are still being forwarded to the # that my watch used to have. The big problem is that # is now owned by a random customer not at all associated with me. So I have friends/family/co-workers calling MY phone, suddenly my phone displays a message saying "answered remotely" and they are suddenly talking to her instead of me.

I've called into AT&T support twice, and visited my local AT&T store twice. Nobody is able to help. I've been told to factory reset the watch, which I have. I've been issued a new SIM card.

This is a huge issue and I need some help.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

4 years ago

I do know how numbersync works, and that isn't it.

Numbersync allows secondary device to spoof the number on your primary device. It does not forward the calls to the data-only number used by a watch or tablet.

Numbersync functions based on a user name and password created for you phone line. Unless someone has created number sync with the exact same username and password as yourself, this would not be possible. I would suggest you change your password on your AT&T account or line.

If that doesn't fix the problem, the I would recommend you call AT&T and have your account trouble shooted by tech support.

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Was this ever resolved? I have the same issue.

• 

3 Messages

No. They never fixed it. I was given the option to either get a new phone number or simply close out my account. 15 years of having that number and being a customer, and that is what they left me with.

So I instead ported my number to Verizon and haven't had an issue since. Phone calls are back to working perfectly.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

@countpakula Assuming the exact same issue, change the password for your user name. Also request at&t remove numbersync from your phone line. Ask for tech support, as regular reps may not understand number sync

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

2 Messages

I’ve changed the password. I’ve also checked the myATT app to remove the synced devices. I called tech support and they said it was a glitch and created a ticket. It still hasn’t been resolved.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

🤦‍♀️. I tried to act surprised, but, nope.
I was contacted over a year ago by whoever it was that wrote the program for number sync.
He didn't identify who he was when he first contacted me so I just thought he was another customer. He asked a lot of really great questions and I gave him my honest opinion of numbersync, which was rather brutal. I'm not sure I would have held back knowing he was the original programmer, because truly numbersync is a second-rate program.
Either AT&T needs to hire somebody else competent to fix it, or dump it entirely and come up with something new. The problem is they have thousands of watches and tablets out there that are using numbersync, and changing programs would probably mean everything would become disconnected.
I switched over to Verizon in August of 2019. I have two tablets (iPads) an Android phone and a palm connected device using Verizon's number share. Signing up and using 'number share' is so easy a caveman could do it. And it works across platforms as you can see, where is AT&T numbersync requires like platforms

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.