Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Sun, Nov 30, 2014 9:56 PM

GPS problems with 4.4.4 Update

I have a Galaxy Note 3. Before the 4.4.4 update, whenever I had GPS/Location Services on, I could see a pinpoint icon in the upper left of screen. All my GPS enabled apps worked fine. After the 4.4.4 update, GPS will not maintain a lock. Google Maps, Smartthings, Navionics, etc will not navigate. The only 2 GPS apps that seem to be working smoothly is Waze and a utility that checks GPS status. When running the GPS troubleshooting app,, I always detect a minimum of 10 satellites (sometimes as many as 16) and I can see the pinpoint icon in the upper left blinking. I have tried every known fix, with the exception of a factory reset of the phone (not really an option for me). Listed in no particular order, I have already tried the following...

1) Cleared the cache partition

2) Restarted in safe mode

3) Removed and reinstalled the GPS apps I am having problems with

4) Enabled high accuracy mode in location services, and set "home" to my home address

5) Cleared the memory cache on each GPS-enabled app

I'm sure I left something else out that I have tried, but I've tried everything but factory reset the phone, (which isn't an option). The GPS seems to know which direction I am pointing, but it will not follow my movements. For example, if running Google Maps, it shows a dot of where I assume is the closest cell tower, and whenever I make a turn, the map will turn, but the dot stays in the same spot. Waze, however, is about the only app that works fine.

Responses

johninsj

Professor

• 

3.1K Messages

6 years ago

Sounds like an issue with the location services libraries (which some apps don't use) vs the hardware itself (which is working fine) - or some other installed stuff is interacting poorly with 4.4.4

Is there a reason why backing up in Kies, hard resetting, and then restoring isn't an option?

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

6 years ago

Thanks for the reply. After doing alot of digging, clearing cache partition and cache for each individual GPS-enabled app, the only 2 GPS apps not responding to GPS now is Google Maps and Smartthings. I tried removing and reinstalling those 2 apps, and have done just about everything that can be done except resetting the phone. I'm hoping the 5.0 release of Android will fix things whenever that comes out. Both Smartthings and Google Maps keep placing me at the nearest cell tower instead of my true location.

The reasons for not being able to reset the phone are many, and a couple of apps contain data (passwords for example) that aren't exportable and I set custom permissions for each individual app and would take like a week to get everything back to normal. Lots and lots of apps!

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

6 years ago

PS...I momentarily considered the suggestion of backing up and restoring the phone using Kies, but I am reading some atrocious reviews about Kies. Is there a better option for restoring in the event Android 5.0 won't come out for months?

Samsung

Ambassador

• 

518 Messages

6 years ago

Hi Bigfootbuilt, 

Thanks for reaching out to us we really appreciate it. After reading through your post it looks like you have already completed a number  of troubleshooting steps.  We understand your reservations with backing up and restoring, however this is the next step in the process. We are more than happy to walk you through the necessary steps to make this as smooth as possible. Please let us know how we ca help.  ^Jake 

Samsung Support

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

I had a similar issue with GPS under whatever Android version was shipped with the Note 3.  I went as far as having it RMA'd via the warranty, and the new phone had the same problem.  I later updated to Anroid 4.4.2 (I think), and the GPS issue was cured.  I was convinced it was a hardware issue, so I was thrilled.  I later saw "updating to 4.4.2" as a fix for the GPS issue on some forum.

It seems that they've forgotted what they did to fix it in 4.4.2 and broke it again with 4.4.4.  My GPS issue is back, and maybe even worse than before.  Before it would lose the GPS signal, then I had to cycle the Location service off/on, then it would work for a few minutes and I'd have to repeat.  Now, that rarely seems to work.  It won't even lock on initially after clicking start navigation.  Very disappointing!  What's worse, I don't know whose at fault: Samsung? AT&T? Google?

My instinct is that AT&T has jacked up the update, as I haven't seen this problem on any Verizon forums.  I guess I either ned to rethink them as a carrier or never run updates at the risk of losing features.

It's funny to me that my old Galaxy S2 rooted and with a custom ROM works better than my Note 3.  Maybe ATT should employ the guys on the Root/ROM forums.  At least they listen and respond prompty.  I'm guessing I'll have to live with this until Andorid 5.0 (if it's even acknowledged and fixed then).

Maybe it's time to go back to iPhone or Microsoft.  There is a benefit to having the hardware manufactured by the same company as the software.  They seem to work a little better together.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

6 years ago

Ya, after trying everything imaginable short of replacing the phone,
I've concluded that I might as well just wait til 5.0 comes out. I have
about 10 GPS apps. Only 2 of them don't work...Smartthings and Google
Maps, which happens to be what I use most. Waze even works fine. When I
run diagnostics on my GPS, it can see about 13 satellites even when I am
indoors. According to Smartthings and Google Maps location history, I
haven't been home in about 3 weeks now lol.

Randy

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
http://www.avast.com
javadave

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

6 years ago

I got the GPS working well.

• I backed up everything with Samsung Kies.
  • I did a hard reset by booting into recovery and doing the Factory Data reset
  • Booted back up
  • Restored from Kies (I restored the applications, but not the application data)
  • GPS is working. 🙂

Also, my SMS which was having issues is working well now.

And my phone is way, way faster.

Makes me think that a hard reset should be done on every system update.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

My problem has been with the GPS turning on and running down my battery in a few hours even when I have LOCATION services turned OFF.  The device is allowing something to continue to turn on my GPS.  The task button now says "Location" instead of GPS and  even after I've told Google Play Services "do not agree" with their NEW, and now TWO, "Location" permission notices the device (Samsung phone - Android 4.4.4) is allowing something to turn ON my GPS. My battery is lasting maybe 2 hours!  When I look at running services it doesn't show that any app has requested location information. The Samsung chat person won't even admit that they were aware of this issue. Seriously? You know, it really chaps me when the company knows there is an issue with the update and they won't even admit it.  At least on this forum I've seen a few Samsung "Ambassadors" who say these problems (GPS, battery and email issues)  seem to have been caused by the most recent update. My husband has the exact same Galaxy S4 that I do and the update hasn't been able to load onto his phone and his phone still works perfectly. So, anyone reading this - don't let the update load! We should not have to do a factory reset just to get our phones to work. I would think that people on limited data plans would be asking AT&T and Samsung to pay for their data.  I hesitate about a hard reset because I've seen forum comments that say that didn't even work with this GPS issue. I turned off all location services, went to my Chrome browser and deleted all location permissions from stored web pages, tried turning on Location but putting it on Battery Saver which one article said would prevent apps from turning on the GPS - it didn't, and turned off all email synching. This update also added bloatware - Uber? and what else? We should be TOLD when apps are added.

This is the response I got from Samsung chat. Excuse the typos - fast and irritated typing. After she denied knowing anything about the issue she told me to do a soft reset and leave it in Safe Mode for a few hours to "observe". They are trying to blame it on a 3rd party app.  I'm not going to accept that.  If you turn your Samsung's GPS/Location service OFF it should stay OFF!  My phone is now in SAFE mode for "observation" after several weeks of needing to be recharged every few hours.

Paige: If the GPS does not turn on in the Safe Mode then the issue must be due to a third party application installed on the device.

Ms. S : So shouldn't I turn Location back on and my master sync back on and then put it in safe mode? And when you say 3rd party are you including Google?

Ms. S : Because if I have location OFF - isn't it Google or Samsung who is allowing and APP to turn it on even after I've turned it OFF?

Paige: The third party application refers to the application which is not developed by Samsung.

Ms. S : But if I say Location OFF - should Samsung keep it OFF?

Paige: Yes, if the location or GPS is turned off from the settings of the device then the device should keep it turned off.

Ms. S : That's what I thought. It's the Android platform that's allowing a "3rd party" to turn on a service even thought the user has turned it OFF. So if that's the case how can a "repair" fix it?

Paige: If the issue is with the device the factory reset needs to be performed on the device and then send it back to repair center for the repair process

Ms. S : Hmmm, that is not really answering my question.

Ms. S : If I have to send the phone back that means I am without a phone. No phone for business. No phone for emergencies. How does that work?

Ms. S : Does ATT handle any of this?

Paige: I am sorry; Samsung does not provide any loner device. However, you can contact Carrier as they might provide you a loner Phone.

Paige: You can also contact carrier for any repair option.

Ms. S : So, I would really like an honest answer to this question: IF it's the Android 4.4.4 update that is causing this, what good does a reset or a "repair" on the device do? Who takes care of the android update bugs?

Paige: I would like to inform that if the issue is with the Android 4.4.4 , then our technician will examine the device and re-flash the software of the device to fix the issue.

Ms. S : Interesting. So, just so I understand. Is it possible that putting it in safe mode will actually fix the issue?

Ms. S : Also, is there a way to GO BACK to the previous version where there wasn't an issue?

Paige: I am sorry; previous version of the update can not be installed on the device.

Paige: However, yes safe mode might fix the issue.

So, there you have it. How is safe mode going to fix it? Nothing should be able to turn on my GPS when I have it turned OFF!  I see a previous post did the factory reset and reinstalled, etc. to solve the email issue.  Not sure what I'm going to do about the GPS/Battery issue.

Any help with this issue would be appreciated.

[edited for privacy – please do not post personal information]

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

6 years ago

I tried installing Kies (version 3) twice. It will not install. It goes through the whole installation process, after that, there is no trace of the program whatsoever.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I have Xcover 3 just today installed 4.4.4 and instantly after installing i found gps problems none satelites found and as well on other parts android not asking all user questions when installing apps.

Solution what worked for me:

manually first removing all cache and account informations gps apps , chrome , maps.

then hard reset to get menu , clearing cache , wiping all data , restart

After doing that problems all gone chrome(google maps started work , satelites found, accesses all popped) 

Get started...

Ask a new question