Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
Arabjabba's profile

Teacher

• 

25 Messages

Sunday, April 23rd, 2017 4:12 PM

Galaxy s8 plus still dident recieve software update !!

The first software update that just came out day on 21 i still dident receive which includes latest security patch. Is any one els waiting? Seems like im the only one !?

Teacher

• 

25 Messages

7 years ago

Yeah seems right alright ill be waiting for bestbuy samsung experince people to get it. Hopefully they will get it.

Teacher

• 

25 Messages

7 years ago

I was thinking about this and i thought so what if i get o e of those prepaid go phone att sim cards. And use it for just that month and get cheapest one. Will i get update on it or has to be something el?

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

7 years ago

@ArabjabbaI don't think anyone here is going to answer this, at least the way you're looking for.

Sure, there's a reasonable likelihood that you'll get queued up and updated, if you do this, but then again, I've seen people get "stalled" all the time, in the android (6P forums, my main device) forums, some for many weeks or longer.

If it were me, I'd probably just wait for BB to get the updates, seems like the easiest and surest way.  That said, what's your plan going forward?  If you're mostly going to be using this on another network, I'd consider selling, and picking up a non-branded version, and avoid all this nonsense...

Teacher

• 

25 Messages

7 years ago

In a perfect world yes i would have got unbranded device and get updates quick but in the real world i own a galaxy s7 edge FACTORY UNLOCKED from samsung.com and to this point it has not got nougat and the security update was 5 months old they just updated it 2 weeks ago.... so while that might sound good, it isnt best choice so im better off waiting for BB and at least get updates even if 3 weeks late. Allll im worried about is if best buy will for sure get all updates so i can do it through them always because last time the guy there was like "maybe couble of weeks if we even get it" and fot why i chose AT&T phone its because im using cricket and cricket is att basically so i picked closest biggest carrier to my service provider. Which they should allow updates through cricket since its basically att. Hopefully one day

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

7 years ago

I thought the released nougat for that around mid-January?  

Still, a long time to wait, it was a completely non-branded S7 then?

I think BB has some sort of deal where the kiosk is a "Samsung Experience" center type of thing, but I bet @lizdance40 can fill in more on this side.

@ArabjabbaYeah, I agree, it'd be nice if they pushed them through Cricket, although currently the companies are pretty disjoint, they way they run, so it's anybody's guess.  

I like the WinPhone model (really WinOS), having done a lot of work on it, including parts of the device update model and testing, it sure makes a lot more sense to me.  This is where I really hope they're heading, really core OS updates should be agnostic of a device variant, but they're not (yeah, I know how the Android model works, but I still doubt most OEMs and carriers modify much core functionality, if at all).  I can hope too ;-]

I do admit this is one of the reasons I went with the 6P, when I took the leap last year, because I knew I wouldn't be wondering about features and fixes, at least not for a couple of years...

ACE - Sage

• 

117.6K Messages

7 years ago

The branded S7 got updates back in January.  I cannot confirm the experience desk has the update for the 'U' version sold in Best Buy locations.  The 'F' version was international and did update.  

Very sad that Samsung didn't keep the U version up to date.  Total breach of trust.

Teacher

• 

25 Messages

7 years ago

Yes my G-935U ..s7 edge unlocked US model is still on marshmallow and bestbuy does not have any updates for it. Its just crazy so thats why i picked a carrier locked phone but seems like i missed up again since att only does OTA updates to only people using there service so yeah but i REALLY HOPE BESTBUY GETS UPDATES ON THEIR SYSTEMS SO I CAN ALWAYS DO IT THROUGH THEM

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

7 years ago

@Arabjabba wrote:
Yes my G-935U ..s7 edge unlocked US model is still on marshmallow and bestbuy does not have any updates for it. Its just crazy so thats why i picked a carrier locked phone but seems like i missed up again since att only does OTA updates to only people using there service so yeah but i REALLY HOPE BESTBUY GETS UPDATES ON THEIR SYSTEMS SO I CAN ALWAYS DO IT THROUGH THEM

ALL us sold s8 series phones are either s8 950u or s8+ 955u.  There are no carrier branded phones with different model numbers.  Each phone has a carrier partition added.  What does this mean for updates no one knows right now.  All the carriers had a day one patch but there were no carrier stuff in that update.  From the core dumps I have looked thru from my s8+ att and my s8 tmobile there the same phone besides the new carrier area in about phone.  and the partition where they are storing all the carrier stuff.  I will look further into it over the weekend.

Teacher

• 

25 Messages

7 years ago

Just wondering does *smartswich* reveive the updates that att release even if They were released OTA?

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

7 years ago

Nope... att literally controls all aspects of there updates.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.