The Samsung Galaxy S24
dbro91's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Wednesday, May 6th, 2015 3:41 PM

Galaxy s6 poor reception

I upgraded to the s6 the day it came out and for the first two weeks it worked great, I'd even say I had a better signal at my job than I ever have. I could load youtube and browse the Internet anywhere. Since sometime last week (only at work), I'm getting nothing, I can't even send or receive texts. What really has me confuses is it will say I have 2-3 bars and I'll try to send a text and it fails, sometimes immediately, it will just say no signal found can't send. So I go upstairs on my breaks and restart the phone and I regain weak service for a few minutes to send a text out before I lose the signal again. It did this for 2 days and then out of no where I had good signal again for one day, I was back streaming youtube videos quickly, then the next back to no signal and it's been steadily staying like that. This is from the Lordstown, Ohio area, I don't know if it's settings related, a local tower issue, sim card, phone itself? Any input would help, thank you.

Community Support

• 

15.2K Messages

9 years ago

Hey there @dbro91

I’m sorry to hear you’re experiencing service issues! I’d be happy to help! It’s quite hard to narrow down where the issue is occurring in this case as it sounds like it’s happening everywhere, but also back to normal at times. That could either be a result of network load, or software/hardware device issues. Do any other AT&T users in your area experience the same issues with service? If this is indeed happening everywhere, I would recommend bringing the device by your nearest Device Support Center where we can try replacing the device for free under warranty and determine if it’s the device itself causing the problem.

To find the nearest DSC check out our Store Locator and search by your ZIP. Then click the Filter Results link to filter by Wireless Device Warranty Support. All listed DSC locations can assist with your device update.

I hope this helps!

Charise

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

Hello, thanks for the response. I went to the ATT store I got the phone from and they informed me they've been having tower issues with 3 towers and everyone is having the same issues I am. So I'm happy to say it's not the phone, I just have to wait until it's fixed.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

I've had poor signal too. By that I mean -101dbm or worse almost constantly. Sometimes I will see -96 briefly, but generally its between -100 and -112dbm. 

I have been on ATT in the same town for years. I have four other Android phones in my house (galaxy s3, Note 2, Lg G2, and Xperia z3), and they all get better signal strength than the S6.
I couldn't be heard on calls, so I complained to ATT and exchanged the phone. FWIW, I had (and am now on my second) 64gb gold colored s6. 

Also, when I went to exchange the first phone, I pointed out to the staff that the s6 and s6 edge on display both had much weaker signal than the s5 models right next to them. This was in the ATT store!

I went through trouble shooting with the ATT tech services people and with the Samsung tech support people, they did all sorts of resets, and I even had me boot the phone into safe mode (from off, hold power button, then release it and hold volume down until it boots up). None of those things worked, and generally Samsung suggested their must be a tower issue, and ATT suggested that the hardware was DoA.  

Both ATT and Samsung said they had "no reports" of signal issues with the S6. However, the internet is full of people (especially on Sprint) reporting problems with weak signal strength on the s6. People with signal problems should post about it to get the word out. 

From what I have read, the s6 is the first or one of the first phones to feature Samsung's own cellular modem instead of Qualcomm's. Maybe that part is no good, hopefully its just buggy and will get updated quick.

If this doesn't improve soon, I will be returning my second s6. 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

Right, no one around me with older phones seem to be having issues.. If it's not fixed by Monday I'm going to have to call and insist they prorate or correct my bill though, I can't pay for something that isn't working, or maybe let me roll back into an older phone.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I am about ready to chuck this phone out the window. I'm in Michigan, originally from Texas where I did not have these kind of problems.  I carry around a brick at work most of the day, I cannot for the life of me get a good signal inside the building, parking lot or at least a 3 block radius and then I have to put my phone in airplane mode or restart to pick up an LTE signal.  When I'm at work I have to constantly reset my device when I have at least 1 bar of "LTE" signal but I get notifications from apps there is no internet connections and this jumps from LTE down to just a weak 4G signal.  That's my problem at work. 

I have a 10 minute drive home and my phone works great for the ride. Once I get home the nightmare continues. I lose all connectivity and get a weak signal jumping down and back from a weaker 4G signal.  I had the SIM card changed out yesterday because the guy at best buy was too lazy to activate a new sim card so he just cut my old note 4 sim and wedged it in my phone only to find out it was stuck in there. Still having that changed at the AT&T store didn't make a difference.   Please help.  Novi/Northville area in Michigan.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

I have had similar problems with my s6 edge. it constantly drops calls. i tested the network speed using speedtest.net and the upload speed are very slow and eratic-- a fraction of the speed of my S5 using the same sim. It is not the network because the s5 has no problems using the same sim card (with adapter).  I have done a factory reset an tested the phone before installing any new apps and still have the same problem.  At this point I have no option but to return the phone.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

I went from a Galaxy S4 to the S6 and I regularlly need be on phone calls during my commute and ever since going to the GS6 I can't hold a call on my commute.  I think I will need to consider getting a different phone.  

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

I've been having the same issues.  Before I bought the Galaxy S6 I was using a Galaxy S4.  AT&T was the only provider where I would get decent service at my house.  I typically had 4-5 bars of 4G service at my residence.  I did notice that the reception was a bit lower than my S4, even in the store when I first got the phone.  I ignored this though and went on my way and never had any problems with any dropped calls or any other issues until a few weeks ago.

I noticed that I was starting to get a lot of dropped calls on my normal commute to and from work where I'd never dropped calls before.  Then I started to notice that I would drop calls at home or I would miss calls and the phone hadn't even rung.  I am now at the point where I can't make or receive any calls in my house and I can't send text messages anymore either.  I called ATT support and went through a slew of troubleshooting steps to no avail.  I still have poor reception almost everywhere I go now and there are no reported tower issues in the area.  I suppose the next step is seeing if I can exchange the phone since it seems to be defective.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

Same here, the phone has become nearly useless. Both cell and data connection have been weak for about a week now. It's been more than 15 days since I got the phone, so I can't just return it. ATT technical support has not been very helpful, what a waste of time!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

I recently too just went to the S6. Everything was great until the past two days. Horrible reception and no signal for data at times. One bar most time. Are they currently having tower issues in the North Central Indiana area?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.