The Samsung Galaxy S24
phroggue's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Monday, December 15th, 2014 3:58 AM

Galaxy S5 WiFi keeps dropping and reconnecting

I have a very strong WiFi signal at home. I connect easily enough, but every few seconds the WiFi signal gets dropped and it reconnects. It's extremely admitting, especially because the connecting message keeps popping up and interrupts typing. Any ideas?

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

Ok, so turning "smart network switch" off may fix the problem at home, but won't this prevent the phone from automatically switching to the attwifi networks at stores and public places?  Also, have you tried testing to see if this still automatically switches to wifi at locations where you have been previously connected (remembered locations, etc.)?  I would think that it causes this to stop working.

FYI, making this change also seems to have kept my wifi connected.  I've been playing with some apps for ten minutes now and it has not dropped.

ACE - Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

9 years ago

Turning off the Smart Network Switch is not a fix, it's a band-aid.  Even with the Smart Network Switch off, and the S5 connected to Wi-Fi, the S5 is still constantly scanning for networks for some unknown reason, and that may be what's sucking the life out of my battery as well. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

Clearing the cache data is not the way to solve this problem. The only way to fix the continuous disconnects is to turn off smart wifi switching which completely defeats the purpose of smart switching. Thanks At&t...

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

i'm having the same issues too. why did they bother with this update they should of gave us 5.0.

ACE - Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

9 years ago

@Tarvus wrote:
Clearing the cache data is not the way to solve this problem. The only way to fix the continuous disconnects is to turn off smart wifi switching which completely defeats the purpose of smart switching. Thanks At&t...

Exactly!

ACE - Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

9 years ago

As this topic was marked "solved" some time ago, our newer posts are likely to go unnoticed.  Therefore, I started a new topic, hoping that this new problem related to the 4.4.4 update might be acknowledged and resolved.  .

http://forums.att.com/t5/Samsung-Discussion-Support/Samsung-Galaxy-S5-Wi-Fi-Connectivity-Problems-After-4-4-4-Update/m-p/4190704#M2830 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I am also having this problem. My WiFi continues to connect and disconnect. I was not having this problem before the update. Will we get the 5.0 soon or will this issue be resolved since it will affect our data usage as well.

ACE - Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

9 years ago

Uncheck "Smart network switch."  That's a workaround, not a fix, but it will stop the constant dropping and reconnecting to Wi-Fi, and it prevents the switching over from Wi-Fi to the mobile network.

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

Version - 4.4.2

My signal loss and battery life has sucked since about 1/15. I've re-booted, reconnected, re-jiggered and every single option and tab that my modem, router, range extender and S5 has to offer and nothing has stopped the almost constant wifi signal searching and loss cycle. This has been on a number of different wifi networks. You could watch the signal be acquired and then dropped every few seconds.

I have not called AT&T Tech because they know nothing and read from a script.

Out of sheer fury, I went through the hassle of a factory reset 4 hours ago and reconnected, minus the "Smart Network Switch" option.

I have not lost a wifi signal since.

Therein lies your problem, AT&T. Your "Smart Switch" is neither, and it is causing constant wifi signal loss and reconnection cycling.

4.4.2 & 4.4.4 are disasters for updates.

Fix them. Now.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

This is happening to me too.  Couldn't figure out why my otherwise great battery usage was dropping so fast.  The last couple weeks I've had the constant dropping and reconnecting of my wifi.

Please fix this!  My S5 battery life is starting to suck as much as Iphone's!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.