Announcements

For the latest on our response to Coronavirus (COVID-19), click here.

dalydose

Mentor

• 

13 Messages

Sat, Feb 22, 2020 7:00 PM

Galaxy S20 unlocked in ATT network

I'm looking to purchase the new GS20 Ultra directly from Samsung, unlocked. Will this device fully function on AT&T's network?

Responses

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

71.7K Messages

a month ago

Not enough people have brought unlocked S20 to had any data on that.

You should NOT expect wifi calling.

Other possible problems are visual voicemail may not work.

🐾 (The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

19.2K Messages

wifi calling does not work. Volte is spotty but does work.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

1 Message

@GLIMMERMAN76 Is this based on your actual experience with the S20 or an assumption? Just curious since this article states it will work.

"I've also heard that the unlocked unit will support voice-over-LTE and Wi-Fi calling on all carriers. AT&T, especially, tends to be testy about allowing those features on unlocked phones, citing software compatibilities. But the carrier says you should be good to go with this one."

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

19.2K Messages

@rp343 I can tell you right now that WiFi calling does not work on a s20 ultra unlocked at this time. Beyond that I am keeping my mouth shut. That guy is also going on assumptions. PCmag is not known for being right on things.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

71.7K Messages

I'd like to know who his carrier Source was who said otherwise.
Verizon is loosening its chokehold, and allowing unlocked S10 series Samsungs to work with Wi-Fi calling. Once again AT&T falls behind

🐾 (The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

19.2K Messages

@lizdance40 It may work with WiFi calling but till the phone is released I am sure a test unit won't see it.

• 

1 Message

I just got unbranded S20+. Wifi Calling & VoLTE work on Project Fi. But, AT&T is continuing to be a (Edited per community guidelines) and refuse it to enable the feature. AT&T claims it's a software issue and transferred me to Samsung. The Samsung support claims it's technically impossible to have one single version of the phone that supports wifi calling on all networks. That's when I called (Edited per community guidelines) since Apple is able to just that. :(

(edited)

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

19.2K Messages

actually with Android it's kinda right. Att does not allow wifi calling on unlocked uncertified phones. That phone is actually different in model number. It's a u1 so really Samsung is right.

• 

2 Messages

a day ago

I have a 5g ultra from samsung unlocked. No 5G or wifi calling. Works with Tmobile though. As soon as its payed off I will dump ATT and move to T-Mobile

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

71.7K Messages

5G is going to be very touchy on unlocked phones for quite some time.
If you bought the unlocked version from Samsung, why are you waiting to switch? You're paying Samsung for the phone not AT&T right?

• 

2 Messages

I still owe on the original phone that I got when I got my att # . I handed that phone down to my wife. Once that's payed off I can move my number.
GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

19.2K Messages

@billcows Tmobiles 5G is not real 5g it's more like 4.5g. more will get it once deployed but it's slower than mill wave tech.

AT&T TV – All Your Entertainment In One Spot.  Learn more…