The Samsung Galaxy S24
rick27607's profile

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

Monday, September 26th, 2016 3:14 AM

Galaxy Note 4 issues after marshmallow update

2 phones, both Samsung Note 4 (US) SM-910a

Both updated from lollipop to Marshmallow 6.0.1 last week.

Phone 1. keeps randomly rebooting
Phone 2. having Messages app issues (extreme freezing/text editing hesitancy, message notification heard but no message appears).

Mitigation actions:
- Cleared system cache
- Cleared MESSAGE app cache
- Would rather not have to factory reset if there are other options

- does ATT have user friendly troubleshooting app to scan marshmallow to identify misbehaving apps or any issues affecting operating system system stability?

Kernel version
3.10.40-8932341
dpi@swdd6914#1
Wed Aug 1719:04:42KST2016

Build number
MMB29M. N910AUCU2EPH5

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I have talked to AT&T, Samsung corporate and Samsung support at Best Buy.  They claim most of the users with Note 4's are experiencing the issues due to non-Samsung manufactured batteries.  Their explanation is that the update is not compatible with many 3rd party batteries (and the AT&T software is actually newer and a different version than the Samsung Hardware is developed to use or support).  This kind of makes sense, as when my phone did turn on, the battery got very hot, I lost power very quickly and software was incredibly slow.  These are common symptoms of battery failure.  As this thread is for Note 4 users, I would assume that most users have replacement batteries since the phones are "old".  I went ahead and ordered an OEM Samsung battery direct from Samsung and it should be here tomorrow.  If this does not fix it, Samsung will replace the phone with a refurbished model.  As an FYI for everyone here, if you have anything 3rd party attached to your phone (charger, battery, software, etc.), replace it with OEM BEFORE you visit Samsung as manufactures will ALWAYS blame 3rd party equipment for failure if the product does not function as intended.  I will report back tomorrow...

C

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

7 years ago

I too have the dreaded restart issues. It happens with both OEM and 3rd party batteries. Went to wipe cache, phone will not turn on now. Assurion is offering me a Galaxy S7 Edge (after trying to give me an S7) stating they don't have Note 4 or 5. BTW, it was an ATT ota update that I woke up to that broke my phone, so yeah it is an ATT issue. Had no probs  before the March 11 update.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

After the Marshmallow update that I had pushed onto my phone on 4/17, my Note 4 phone either unpredictably freezes (forcing a battery pull) or just restarts. For the restarts, the phone (1) simply reboots, (2) freezes on the Samsung splashscreen, (3) goes to recovery mode, or (4) goes to the "Downloading Do Not Turn Off Target" screen. I wiped the cache partition, turned off Advanced Messaging, and removed apps, but no dice. On 4/22, I stopped at an AT&T store that forwarded me to Samsung support at Best Buy. The Samsung rep set the phone in "Downloading" mode and proceeded to replace the 6.01 update. On completion, it was experiencing the same problems. The rep recommended I factory reset. Once I backed up everything, I reset the phone on 4/25. At first, it seemed to operate as it did when I first bought it. However, once the cascading unstoppable download of bloatware apps began, I noticed a sluggishness to the phone. That evening, my phone automatically rebooted and was at the "Downloading" screen when I woke up. The daily multiple random freezing/restart issues have made my phone completely unreliable. It never randomly froze/restarted prior to the 6.01 update.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

These update problems are so ridiculous! Why can't they pay testers to fully check these updates. It's such a great phone!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

I agree. It was a great phone...and now it's dead. The last freeze/shutdown prompted me to pull the battery, but this time it would not restart. I tried removing the battery, holding the power down for 1-3 minutes, re-inserting the battery, and pressing power as prescribed online, but screen remains black with no LED action. I did this on and off throughout the day with no results. I doubt I'll pay to have this fixed in the shop as I'm really unhappy about the forced AT&T updates and how they have inexplicably killed my phone. I won't rule out another Samsung Note 4 as it was the best phone I've ever had, but it will not be a locked down AT&T phone. My wife has a T-Mobile branded Note 4 that works with our AT&T provider, but CAN be rooted.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

I had this problem too. I got new batteries, cleared the system cache, even factory reset. I wasted so many hours and none of that worked. It got into an endless restart loop, got the "Downloading, Do not turn off Target!" scary screen. The only way I could get it to stop so I could power up again, was to take the battery out. My Note 4 was basically a brick.

The solution that is working (so far) for me is the Wake Lock - PowerManager app in Partial_Wake_Lock mode. Hope it works for you guys. I was ready to give up on my Note 4.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Hi 2bejoyous

Is 'Wake Lock' still working for you?

Thanks.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

7 years ago

Same problems and sentiments exactly!

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

7 years ago

Same problems and sentiments !

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

7 years ago

Are there bootleg Samsung batteries out there? 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.