For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
phyrereii's profile

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

Wednesday, February 11th, 2015 7:46 AM

Extreme lag and other problems after updating to KitKat 4.4 (S5)

I updated to 4.4 a few days ago and have been having a LOT of problems.  Most notable is the extreme keyboard lag.  I can barely type on my phone anymore which renders texting and many apps useless.  The screen is having a hard time registering my taps.

The screen will not auto shut off anymore even though a timeout is selected.  I have to physically turn my phone off.

Most of my apps are very slow.  An example - playing a game such as Disney Tsum Tsum, the screen is not registering my swipes and is freezing up.  Never had a problem with the game until the update.

My phone is also now abnormally hot after just a few minutes.  My 3rd party battery minder app keeps popping up to tell my the CPU is overheating.

Call quality has also decreased, not sure if this is related to the update or not, but ever since I updated, I have had people complain of not being able to hear me/saying I sound like I am breaking up despite having full service in 4G LTE.  Ever since the update, I have also noticed my voice echoing in all of my calls.

I haven't changed anything EXCEPT for updating to 4.4.  Really frustrated.  I had a brand new, perfectly good working phone that I was very happy with...and since updating a few nights ago, my phone feels like it's absolutely useless.  It is not performing the way that a very expensive smartphone should...

And don't get me started on the fact that the other carriers are rolling out 5.0 and we are just NOW getting this junky, bloated 4.4........

Can I go back to 4.2 if I do a factory reset?  Do I even have any other options other than a factory reset?  Will I lose everything?

By the way, Smart Network Switch has already BEEN off since before the upgrade...so please don't suggest that I turn it off.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

Don't know muh about android, but it sounds like it's a one huge bug that's causing this, you'll have to wait till they release a newer update and hope that they can fix it or are aware of it. Try contact android os customer support

Mentor

• 

39 Messages

9 years ago

Which 4.4 update caused the problems? 4.4.2 or 4.4.4?

My SM-G730A had touch screen issues in games after updating to 4.4.2 back in August 2014, however neither Samsung nor AT&T will even acknowledge that there may be a problem with their firmware. I have attempted to inform them multiple times. Good luck!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

I am having the exact same problem with my keyboard lag on my S5.

Mentor

• 

72 Messages

9 years ago

I was having the same issues with my S5 immediately after the update. The phone was almost useless. As much as I hate to say it after a full reset is seems to be working fine again with all the same apps and settings I had before. What a pain in the A.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

9 years ago

Sorry - 4.4.4. I bought the phone with 4.4.2 on it and it worked flawlessly. Had the phone about two weeks and just got the update and now my phone sucks lol.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

9 years ago

Add this as a new problem: I am receiving phone calls, my phone is vibrating and ringing, but my screen is staying black. I have to press the home button to see the incoming call alert (with option to answer), however it's as if my phone thinks the screen WAS on and I'm turning the screen OFF and rejecting the call. Arghhhh! Also started noticing actual service issues last night after I tried to restart my phone. A few of my apps synced to Facebook were saying that I could not connect and to check my Internet connection. my WiFi was on, signal strong, but my 4G LTE went away and I had one bar. My husband was next to me on his phone (AT&T HTC One M8 running 4.4.4), which was working fine. He didn't lose service and his wifi (same one I connect to) was on.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

9 years ago

Samsung has nothing to do with the software updates we get. They turn it over to AT&T who does all their "necessary adjustments" a.k.a. bloatware, tweaks, and what not, and then release it to us. Samsung helps with phone issues but not with AT&T software. 

Mentor

• 

39 Messages

9 years ago

Samsung has almost everything to do with the bugs we recieve. It's Samsung who builds the kernel. Poor kernel drivers and optimization can result in numerous issues, stability, performance, etc. Samsung takes AOSP Android, removes or modifies the stock launcher and lock screen, adds TouchWiz and a bunch of other Samsung software (bloat). Getting Samsung to acknowledge there is a problem is the hard part!

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

@lorii_ka wrote:

Samsung has nothing to do with the software updates we get. They turn it over to AT&T who does all their "necessary adjustments" a.k.a. bloatware, tweaks, and what not, and then release it to us. Samsung helps with phone issues but not with AT&T software. 

actually that is a false statement.  ATT provides the oems with the software they want added to the build and samsung includes it in the rom.  Then the build is sent to att for testing.  Then its sent back to samsung for either tweeks or final release.

ACE - Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

9 years ago

You have a whole batch of problems, all since the update.  I suggest you back up your data and then do a factory reset.  That will not return the OS to 4.4.2, but it may straighten out the kinks and solve your problems.  If it doesn't, then I would take it into an AT&T store and see what they can do for you. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.