Available Now: Buy the new iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max from AT&T!
The Samsung Galaxy Z Flip4
ZephyrFirelyte's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Sun, Nov 16, 2014 5:07 PM

Carrier unlocking Samsung Gear S watches?

My fiancé and I recieved Gear S watches a couple of days ago at the Samsung Developer Conference. We love them, but we quickly discovered that they're locked to AT&T, which we don't use (and never have). We already purchased a smart watch plan with our regular carrier, which we hope to be able to use as soon as possible.

I called AT&T's customer service to get unlock codes, and they told me that the watches simply couldn't be unlocked for us. They said we had to be AT&T customers for at least 60 days, which is impractical and honestly doesn't make much sense. (Why would a non-customer become a customer for two months, just to leave again?)

If a rep here can help us, we'd be eternally grateful. We have the IMEI numbers for both, so hopefully we can do this without much difficulty.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

8年前

In my extensive search for an answer, I learned that it's against Samsung's policy (and apparently copyright infringement!!) for anyone other than the original carrier (even the manufacturer) to provide unlock codes. And it's against AT&T's policy to provide unlock codes to non-customers. This is how I kept going back and forth between AT&T and Samsung. AT&T could only suggest trying "other options" since I'm not a customer, and Samsung could only send me back to AT&T.

After going around in circles for a while, I tried getting the watches unlocked by my friend, a current AT&T customer. She wasn't able to do it because the IMEI numbers hadn't been registered on the AT&T network. That would have required signing up for service, which I didn't want to do.

So, as a last resort after exhausting literally every other resource (including other forums and Samsung and AT&T reps on Twitter), I went with a third-party website and purchased unlock codes for both watches. It went very smoothly, and my fiancé and I have been using our Gear S watches since then without any issue.

Disclaimer: Third-party unlocking services are not endorsed by AT&T or Samsung, so do it at your own risk. But if you're as desperate as I was, it's well worth it.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8年前

I am a Norwegian who also received the Gear S at SDC 2014. I would also like to know how to unlock it, as I do not even have a way of becoming an AT&T customer. I know this is the same for a lot of the international attendees at SDC. I am pretty sure that Samsung did indeed intend for us to be able to use our Gear S'es as well.

Thank you in advance.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8年前

Thanks for the reply. I ended up using the same service as you, but it turns out that I cannot use it in Norway regardless as the US-version only supports GSM 850/1900 while Europe uses GSM 800/1800

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7年前

They lied to you. AT&T does unlock for non-customers. You can go to their device unlock request page and select "Non-AT&T Customer." I've unlocked more than 6 devices via this route.

@ZephyrFirelyte wrote:

My fiancé and I recieved Gear S watches a couple of days ago at the Samsung Developer Conference. We love them, but we quickly discovered that they're locked to AT&T, which we don't use (and never have). We already purchased a smart watch plan with our regular carrier, which we hope to be able to use as soon as possible.

I called AT&T's customer service to get unlock codes, and they told me that the watches simply couldn't be unlocked for us. They said we had to be AT&T customers for at least 60 days, which is impractical and honestly doesn't make much sense. (Why would a non-customer become a customer for two months, just to leave again?)

If a rep here can help us, we'd be eternally grateful. We have the IMEI numbers for both, so hopefully we can do this without much difficulty.

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

23.4K Messages

7年前

@JR2016 wrote:

They lied to you. AT&T does unlock for non-customers. You can go to their device unlock request page and select "Non-AT&T Customer." I've unlocked more than 6 devices via this route.

@ZephyrFirelyte wrote:

the problem in this case is they were given the watches for free at SDC 2014.  ATT had no record of the watches as they were never shipped to them.  This was samsung dropping the ball.  They should have gave away unlocked gear s watches.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7年前

Which website can I buy unlock code?Pls,can show me. Thanks

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6年前

Well, you should not have paid a third party company to unlock the phone for you. This is an illegal practice by managers at all carriers, especially AT&T. FCC rules requires them to unlock your device if you do not owe them any money. They give you the round about until you decide to pay a company to do it. And geuess what, that company is owned by AT&T employees. The FBI should get involved in this unlocking business.

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

23.4K Messages

6年前

@mrsmith wrote:

Well, you should not have paid a third party company to unlock the phone for you. This is an illegal practice by managers at all carriers, especially AT&T. FCC rules requires them to unlock your device if you do not owe them any money. They give you the round about until you decide to pay a company to do it. And geuess what, that company is owned by AT&T employees. The FBI should get involved in this unlocking business.

you might want to read what is what.  A smartwatch is not a PHONE there 2 different devices.  The CTIA covers phones and tablets ONLY....

Capture.PNG

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6年前

actually it still does if you look at the end of your circled quote it clearly states "mobile wireless devices" whitch the smart watch clearly is such a "MOBILE WIRELESS DEVICE" just figured i would point that out 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5年前

For me that I am Lagos Nigeria, I purchased my Gear S from a company on eBay. Unfortunately for me the guy sent wrong unlock code. The IMEI on the carton is different from the IMEI on my Gear S. When I input the unlock code he sent, "failed" message displayed and "invalid sim inserted" too also displayed. Please what can I do. I need genius and pro on this forum to enlighten me. Thanks

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5年前

Be sure to select ATT customer or not!

https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/#/unlockstep1

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

23.4K Messages

5年前

@daelvE wrote:

Be sure to select ATT customer or not!

https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/#/unlockstep1

@daelvE

gear s is not in the unlock portals IMEI database I thought I would check last night since you posted this.  I have a old gear s and it cant be unlocked thru the device portal...

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5年前

I have a s2 and I am trying to unlock it to use through sprint is this possible?

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5年前

Not that we know of. After researching for ATT to Tracfone, no one has done it.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5年前

Hi,

I get 

Looks like you upgraded your device recently so we can't unlock it right now. Submit a new request after the 14-day waiting period ends.

I purchased the S3 Frontier from Ebay and live in Aus if I can unlock it would be great but can't contact AT&T as I cannot create a login.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.