For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
NalePhone's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Wednesday, January 14th, 2015 11:05 PM

Can't receive texts or calls but can make them

Hi.  I am suddenly unable to receive either texts or calls, but I can send texts and make calls.  This is pretty unacceptable.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 Active.  It hasn't been rooted and has Android 4.4.2.

Texts

• I received my last text last night.  I've been told that texts were sent to me this morning.  That's the window of when I lost the ability to receive texts.
  • I use the default texting app.
  • I can send texts, which I have verified with other cell phone users, both from AT&T and with another provider.

Calls (much the same)

• I last received a call at lunchtime yesterday.  Someone tried unsuccessfully to call me at lunchtime today.  I don't know if there were any other calls before then.
  • Whenever anyone tries to call me today, they are sent straight to voice mail.
  • I can call other AT&T cell phone users and landlines just fine.  I can also access my voice mail, but I get no indication that a message was ever left for me.

Troubleshooting steps taken (to no avail)

• I have rebooted my phone several times.
  • I have turned off my phone and left it off for several minutes before restarting it.
  • I have removed the battery for several minutes.
  • I've put my phone into airplane mode for several minutes and taken it back out again.
  • I have removed both the SIM and my SD card and re-seated them (not that I've seen any messages about there not being a SIM).
  • I have deleted many, many texts, including entire conversations with people.

Other

• I have not downloaded any new apps.
  • I am receiving app updates (auto-downloaded an update to Flipboard some time today).
  • I'm getting Gmail just fine via both WiFi and AT&T data.(tested both conditions).
  • I am not interested in doing anything that will lead to data loss.
  • My testing with other AT&T users hasn't been in the same area; I mean, we're not using the same tower.

--------------

So, any ideas?  I'm at my wits end!!

Nale

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

Same exactly for my son at Villanova University, Philadelphia Main Line

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

I may have a solution!  At any rate, my issue is gone now.

What happened:  I drove away from home (where I had made all my observations).  A few miles out, I suddenly got all my missed texts.  I believe the issue was with the tower in my neighborhood...?  After I was clearly working with a different tower (after driving even further), I rebooted my phone.  I figure this would re-authenticate my phone with the whole network.

I am now back home.  I have had other AT&T cell users send me texts to confirm that it's working.  I have also taken a landline call to my cell.

For those who may be trying to troubleshoot what happened:

• At least one other AT&T user didn't have any issues in my area.  It's the same model phone that I have (Samsung Galaxy S5 Active, not rooted).
  • Judging by the texts that I received in a timely manner and those that only arrived in bulk this morning, the problem began between ~9:30pm and ~11:30pm Tuesday evening.

jsteinberg, I recommend that your son find a ride and travel some 10 miles away from school.  Perhaps that will do the trick for him as well.  I wish him the best of luck!!

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

Awesome

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

Thanks, sent him your post.

Ambassador

• 

518 Messages

9 years ago

Hi @NalePhone, 

Thanks for reaching out. We apologize for the negative experience. We are happy to help. It looks like you have already completed a number of steps already. The next step we could try is safe mode.  Here are the steps: http://bit.ly/1Cs6idq. While in safe mode try testing some calls. While in safe mode the device will not load any third party applications. This will help you to narrow down possible causes. To exit safe mode just reboot the device.  Let us know if this helps. ^Jake 

Samsung Support

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.