Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 3/31. See all protection plans.

Contributor

• 

5 Messages

Fri, Jan 17, 2020 10:30 PM

Can't establish email account on cell phone

I'm trying to set up my email account on a Samsung S6 cell phone. I fill out the form, but when I click on "Next," the following message pops up: "Setup could not finish. Cannot safeuly connect to server." I know the account name (email address) and password are still valid because they work on my desktop. What can I do to "safely connect to the server"?

Responses

SuperMario87

Employee

• 

228 Messages

4 weeks ago

Is it att email? If yes, when you add the account add it under Yahoo

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Contributor

• 

5 Messages

@SuperMario87 Thanks for your reply.

I'm actually trying to set up two accounts on the Samsung Galaxy S6, both are bellsouth.net addresses.

What do you mean, "add it under Yahoo"? How would I do that?

joeldf

ACE - Guru

• 

446 Messages

Guess it depends if you are using the right settings for the protocal you are using. Are you setting it up as an IMAP account, or are you trying the POP3 account type?

From AT&T Support page about this:

These settings are good for email addresses with any of these domains: @ameritech.net, @att.net, @bellsouth.net, @flash.net, @nvbell.net, @pacbell.net, prodigy.net, @sbcglobal.net, @snet.net, @swbell.net, or @wans.net.

Email protocol: Inbound server: port: SSL: Outbound server: port

POP3: inbound.att.net: 995: Yes: outbound.att.net: 465

IMAP: imap.mail.att.net: 993: Yes: smtp.mail.att.net: 465 or 587

(edited)

- Joel
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

5 Messages

Thanks!

Not even the wizards at Orange Phone Care could get my two bellsouth.net accounts set up on the native Samsung email app. So they installed both the Yahoo and Gmail email apps. They're different from the native Samsung app that I'm so used to, but they work, and I'm learning.

(I thought maybe I had a damaged or incomplete version of the native program, so I tried to find a source online from which I could download. No luck. Google Play has something called "Samsung Email," but it does not appear to be the same as the one that came with the Galaxy S5 and S6. And besides, the site included a note saying it would notwork on my phone!)

Contributor

• 

5 Messages

Finally found a solution . . . and it worked! This came from https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S-Phones/Galaxy-S5-Mail-app-no-long-works/td-p/148369. I think the key is steps 12 and 14:

"Samsung Support was a big help in getting this corrected. They sent a set of instructions that I followed, although what I actually had to do varied a little from what they suggested. To re-set up my bellsouth.net email accounts on the Galaxy S5 Samsung Mail app, here is what I did:

1. Navigate to Email

2. Three dots

3. Settings

4. Manage accounts

5. + (Add accounts)

6. Entered account name & password

7. Manual Setup

8. Select account type

9. Next

10. Message popped up: "Unable to set up account. Cannot safely connect to server"

11. Ignore message

12. Change incoming mail security type to "SSL (Accept all certificates)"

13. Next

14. Change outgoing mail security type to "SSL (Accept all certificates)"

15. Next

16. Choose desire Sync interval

17. Check "Notify me when email arrives"

18. Next

19. Edit Names

20. Done

And, I also re-set app preferences and cleared cache and data as suggested by Samsung.

So it worked, and the Samsung Mail app is now operating again."