The Samsung Galaxy S24
K

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, February 12th, 2020 6:07 PM

Cannot unlock AT&T Samsung S6 Phone for FALSE reason

I am attempting to unlock a very old Samsung S6 phone that I purchased from AT&T years ago. At some point, AT&T had to send me a new phone due to a faulty home button, so this is technically the refurbished phone that I no longer use. However it is 100% paid off and has been inactive for at least two years.

Upon attempting to submit a request to "unlock" it, I received almost an instant emailed response from AT&T claiming that my unlock request was DENIED due to: "Looks like you have an unpaid or past due balance." Which is completely false. Upon clicking the link to "Make a payment", my account indeed reflects a zero balance and that it is entirely paid up-to-date. So what gives? Why am I not able to unlock the phone that I rightfully own?

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

4 years ago

The replacement phones IMEI is listed as not being paid off. It was tied to someone elses account. ATT also may not even have the unlock codes for that phone anymore. Its not like it will work on any other carrier than tmobile anyway.

Employee

• 

797 Messages

4 years ago

Hello,

Most likely on att.com/deviceunlock it’s recognizing the IMEI of the replacement (refurbished) phone and not the original (since all phones have a unique IMEI number).yiu just need to call customer care to get it resolved via 800 331. 0500 and say “unlock” when prompted for reason for calling. The representative cannot unlock your device, but can look at the situation and submit a ticket to resolve it.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.