Get the new iPhone 15, iPhone 15 Plus, iPhone 15 Pro & iPhone 15 Pro Max from AT&T Now!
The Samsung Galaxy S23
TM9039's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Sunday, July 5th, 2015 10:00 PM

Call forwarding on Note 4 not working.

After I bought the Note 4 and the Gear S I found out that for some reason the call forwarding does not work on the Note. I keep getting the message "Network or Sim Card Error". After several days of trying to troubleshoot with Samsung and Att the issue still has not been resolved. I went to the Att store and explained the problem and the rep went to get another phone from the back to see if was an islolated incident. Turns out that the brand new phones he brought from the back were having the same issue. Needless to say I was one day past my exchange period now I'm stuck with a Note 4 that is not functioning as intended as well as the Gear S. Something told me that I should've gone back to the iPhone. 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Mentor

• 

68 Messages

8 years ago

I was able to get this issue fixed. This was bugging me for a month. Here are the steps I took to resolve this issue.

Uninstalled Gear Manager from the Note 4.

When I reinstalled Gear Manager it forced me to do a factory reset on the Gear S. This did not fix the issue however.

Did a factory reset on both the phone and the Gear S. This also did not fix the issue.

Got a new sim card for the Gear S. This did not fix the issue.

Got a new nano sim card for the Note 4. The Note 4 takes a micro sim but I had an adapter I bought off Amazon that takes a nano sim and makes it fit into micro slots. This also did not fix the issue.

Upgraded to Lollipop. This did not fix the issue.

Finally I found this thread.

https://forums.att.com/t5/Samsung-Di...ighlight/false

Someone said it was the settings on my account. I called AT&T on my Gear S number and pressed some buttons till I got their Technical Support team. I somehow got transferred to their Advanced Technical Support team right away. I talked to a guy named Robert. He was super helpful and listened as I told him what my issue was. I didn't even mention the Gear S call forwarding problem as that confuses a lot of reps. I just told him that I couldn't access the call forwarding setting in my Android Note 4 because I was getting a sim card or network error. Which I was. I told him to check deep in my account setting as I researched this online and it appears to be an account settings issue. He worked on his end and told me to turn my phone off. Then he told me to turn it back on. I did and went into the settings and did not get the error message. I was soooo happy. I thanked Robert and told him I was just going to mess with the settings a bit more and I didn't want to keep him. He said thank you for being a valued customer and we hung up.

My real reason for going thru this was to get the call forwarding set up between my Gear S and my Note 4. Then I tried to initiate the call forwarding through a remote connection between my Gear S and Note 4. This time it worked.

So in my opinion it appears to be an account settings issue because it works for me now.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.8K Messages

8 years ago

You are using the forwarding in gear manager?

ACE - Sage

• 

110.7K Messages

8 years ago

NM. GLIMMERMAN is on it!

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

Yes but it's not the watch that is causing the problem. The phone itself will not forward to any number. I keep getting "Network or sim card error".

ACE - Expert

• 

23.8K Messages

8 years ago

I'm talking about gear Manger on the phone. You have to select call forwarding in that.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

Yes

Mentor

• 

68 Messages

8 years ago

This is the thread that I made at XDA Developers.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/gear-s/general/att-users-t3079140

It also has some good info. AT&T used to charge people for call forwarding so it's not open by default on peoples accounts. You just have to call them and have them re register your SIM card to the network. After upgrading to Lollipop via the AT&T OTA update my issue has been resolved.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.8K Messages

8 years ago

very good info...  I have a newer account so im sure thats why I didnt have this problem when I got my gear s

Mentor

• 

68 Messages

8 years ago

Yea I've been with AT&T since 2009.

Go into the call settings on your phone to see if you're getting the NETWORK OR SIM CARD ERROR. If you see this, you need to reboot your phone and your Gear S.
I have a Note 4 on Lollipop, but what I do is:
Go to the Phone app
Tap the three dots on the top right
Tap settings
Tap Call
Tap More Settings
If you see the sim or network error here, the call forwarding to the Gear S will not work and you will have to reboot your phone and watch.
If you keep seeing that error, then call AT&T and have them reregister your device (phone) sim to the network.
That's what I did to fix mine. This might be just a Note 4 issue in my case but the steps might work for the Note 3 also.
It could also mean you have a bad AT&T signal where you are because the watch has to communicate with the phone before initiating the call forwarding.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

Thanks Tre_Smooth!

Based on your response I contacted Advanced technical support again and talked to Sylvia. She could see that my call forwarding was set up but she also said that I was in an area that supported enhanced voice and my phone wasn't being recognized. She went in and changed some settings told me to turn my phone off then back on and it worked like a charm! Thanks for all the suggestions and support. This was driving me nuts.

Not finding what you're looking for?