Gift your grad endless possibilities. Celebrate right now and connect them to their brightest future.
The Samsung Galaxy S23
jaeger26's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Thursday, March 1st, 2018 3:50 PM

Buying Galaxy S9 direct from Samsung-Unlocked or Locked to AT&T?

I am planning to buy a Galaxy S9 Plus direct from Samsung due to a special promotion available to me. If I buy an Unlocked phone can I use that on AT&T to start a phone contract? I do not have a mobile contract currently but I am getting one soon. I currently have Uverse for TV and Internet.

Would there be any disadvantages to buying an unlocked phone? Or should I bite the bullet and pay the markup for the locked phone?

Thank you in advance.

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

23.6K Messages

5 years ago

Look it's easy.  If you didn't buy the att version of the phone you don't get advanced LTE features.   Hd voice wifi calling you get non of that.

broosek

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

5 years ago

We get it Glimmer. Chill. The problem is that a poster on here was told by an AT&T rep he'd be fine. I'm just trying to clarify by providing counter evidence from experience.
GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

23.6K Messages

5 years ago

That's because att reps on the front line of customer service don't understand the difference a between unlocked and att branded.  They never have which is sad but then again Samsung can't either...  All they have to do is pay the unlocked version to be certified 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

Just to make it really clear....1 online chat, 2 calls to AT&T techs and 2 to Samsung techs....all 100% positive all functions will work on the unlocked version....so. yesterday off to the AT&T store with several new S9's in hand, and confirmed by the tech (I had asked for their top tech) that all is well...2 hrs later after much transferring etc, and....well I think you know......lost functions as reported here.  The voice mail app was side loaded successfully, again as stated here  So the only question remaining is whether Wi-Fi calling, HD Voice and enhanced messaging are worth the trouble to return these phones and pay the upcharge..???  The only good news was that I can get 1000 mbps internet...up and down..

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

Well there may in fact be light at the end of the tunnel....called AT&T business support and was about ready to read the riot act to the poor fellow...instead he listens to the issue and first explains that the call over LTE was not turned on for our account....said he would do so and after a few minutes came back and also found that the features would not work...but he has a solution:

Acquire IMEI of an AT&T branded version of the phone, and replace the last six digits of that IMEI with 000000.
If we activate this dummy IMEI on the line.....

So I will go to the store and use one of their phones, and they can access my account and see his notes and authorization to do this.

I will let you know if this works!!!!

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

23.6K Messages

5 years ago

@John108 wrote:

Just to make it really clear....1 online chat, 2 calls to AT&T techs and 2 to Samsung techs....all 100% positive all functions will work on the unlocked version....so. yesterday off to the AT&T store with several new S9's in hand, and confirmed by the tech (I had asked for their top tech) that all is well...2 hrs later after much transferring etc, and....well I think you know......lost functions as reported here.  The voice mail app was side loaded successfully, again as stated here  So the only question remaining is whether Wi-Fi calling, HD Voice and enhanced messaging are worth the trouble to return these phones and pay the upcharge..???  The only good news was that I can get 1000 mbps internet...up and down..

I just got my sister the unlocked version from best buy for 539.  Then I flashed the verizon software to it since she is on verizon....  

broosek

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

5 years ago

I plan to see what other carriers will do for me with my unlocked S9. My wife's S6 is due for an upgrade. Maybe another carrier will step up nicely for both of us.
JoeJohn

Mentor

• 

50 Messages

5 years ago

Do NOT buy the phone locked. You will never be able to use it on another network, and you wont be able to sell it for its full price. The att unlocking is hit or miss. Never buy a locked phone or use an unlocked phone on ATT network.

JoeJohn

Mentor

• 

50 Messages

5 years ago

If you stick an att prepaid or att sim card in an unlocked device they will lock it. Locked devices have lower resale value. They claim they will fix the lock and unlock it again if it gets locked, but if you read through the fourms. Its not the case. Do not buy locked ATT devices esp if they are used. Try to keep their simcard out of your phones.

ACE - Sage

• 

107.4K Messages

5 years ago

@JoeJohn wrote:

If you stick an att prepaid or att sim card in an unlocked device they will lock it. Locked devices have lower resale value. They claim they will fix the lock and unlock it again if it gets locked, but if you read through the fourms. Its not the case. Do not buy locked ATT devices esp if they are used. Try to keep their simcard out of your phones.

@JoeJohn

Please dont spread miss-information.  If you want to warn people about the 6 month lock, fine.

But not all you say is true.  

An unlocked phone is unlocked.  Period.  It cannot be locked to any carrier if it is unlocked.  If you are referring to the iPhone, only Apple sells unlocked iPhones.  There is an error in Apple servers if they sell a sim free phone that locks to any carrier.  

An Android sold unlocked is always unlocked.  

Whether or not someone chooses a carrier phone is up to them.   I have purchased used carrier phones several years in a row, unlocked and sold them after using a year.   

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.