Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
clemenke's profile

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

Thursday, January 28th, 2021 1:13 AM

Bought a S21 Direct From Samsung and AT&T Does not know how to activate a new 5G SIM...

So I got my new S21 today.  My old phone, an S9, is active with a standard 4g SIM.  The S21 came with a new AT&T 5G SIM.  There is no option on the activation website to input a new SIM.  You can add a new line with a new SIM, but you cannot update an existing line/account.  I called, and after 30 mins on hold, I was told this cannot be done.  My options would be to cancel my line and then add a new one with the new SIM (no thank you), or go into the store - which I am also not doing, or order a new SIM from AT&T - which makes no sense since I have a new AT&T 5G SIM.

Does anyone know how I can get my new phone activated on my current account, on my current line, but using the new 5G SIM card I have.  

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

117.6K Messages

3 years ago

The SIM in your old phone will work with 5g.  Just swap it. 

If you want the new sim activated, go to a corporate store.

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

So is there any truth that using an old SIM does not unlock all the features of 5G?  The rep I talked to concurred that I should use a 5G SIM, but did not know how to activate the one I had.  Seems crazy to have to go into a store for this when if I had a new line I can activate this SIM online.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.6K Messages

3 years ago

They would prefer you use the new sim, but no, the new sim makes no difference as long as the account is provisioned and on 5g location. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.