The Samsung Galaxy S24
djdevin's profile

Tutor

• 

13 Messages

Wednesday, September 3rd, 2014 8:12 PM

Bootloader locked on SM-G730A

I paid for this phone in FULL. No contract. Why can I not install my own OS?

Professor

• 

3.1K Messages

10 years ago

@djdevin wrote:

so why annoy the 1%? also there aren't any workarounds because the security on the device is very complex, not because of the price. there are more expensive phones that still don't have their bootloaders unlocked, so your point is moot. I guess it's worth it to Samsung.

a lot of people buy phones based on recommendations, and those recommendations usually come from technical people. the 1% of people end up controlling 5%, then 10%, and then you have an impact. I will never recommend another Samsung product ever again. I will never recommend a device that is "leased" even though you pay full price for it. I will never buy a car that only allows me to drive on certain roads.

coming from a device that allowed custom OSes and clean android is like tasting heaven and then being sent back to h ell. samsung software sucks, enjoy the BLOAT

It's not 1%. Its more like 0.01% - and if you're one of those very few people, you simply select a different device.

A locked bootloader is pretty much required for any phone that you'd want to sell in the enterprise. It also assures your support staff don't have to troubleshoot whatever OS the user has put on your device. Given that most people don't EVER update the OS on their device, let alone flash an alternate OS, manufacturers and carriers that opt to use a locked bootloader are not losing any customers.

Tutor

• 

13 Messages

10 years ago

I own the phone, why can't I do what I want with it? it's not on lease and not under warranty and not part of an enterprise plan. I don't care if i'm part of the 1% or .0001%

many many people upgraded their own PCs to Windows Vista/7/8 that were not enthusiasts. could you imagine "Sorry, Best Buy has locked updates to this device. Please throw it out and buy a new one."

if you are actually able to install a custom mobile OS you aren't the type of person who is going to be contacting support for software issues with your phone. support staff should also be educated to recognize a custom OS and deny coverage if that's the issue.

there's already a screen in ODIN that says "warning installing a custom OS will void your warranty and do verrible things" however it's locked so a custom OS is impossible to install. isn't this enough?

custom_os_warning.jpg

1 Attachment

Tutor

• 

13 Messages

10 years ago

Motorola is even nice enough that they have a help page on it:

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/standalone/bootloader/unlock-your-device-a

I think Samsung just wants to be like Apple

"You have only yourself to blame. Unless you have a Developer Edition device, once you get the unlock code, your device is no longer covered by the Motorola warranty; in other words, please don't blame us if things go wrong, even if they appear unrelated to unlocking the bootloader."

That's all that should have to be said for bootloader unlocked.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

for one price does play a part.  Highend phones have more development options.  If you want a bootloader unlocked phone dont get it from the carrier.  By the way all phones come with a locked bootloader from the factory even nexus devices.  The difference here is that samsung encrypts the bootloaders.  I have a LG G3 that I got from att and I'm happy with it.  I have root and xposed on and it gets me thru till it gets a loki like exploit or bootloader gets cracked.  

Root is the main thing to use to get rid of bloatware.

Also you do own the device the reason some carriers are doing this is because people using hacks to use teathering.  So the carriers reason is for the protection of there network.

I have to ask why did you not get a nexus 5.  I have that a m8, g3, s5 and moto x.  I am running stock android L on the nexus 5 and its really nice.

Tutor

• 

13 Messages

10 years ago

Root would be nice indeed, however it's *also* not rootable with the recent KitKat 4.4.2 update. They locked it down even more. Fortunately you can "turn off" built in apps so that helped a lot. But, no xposed or anything like that.
The other annoying thing is that even when I had root with 4.2.2, I could take a snapshot of the phone, and then be unable to flash my own backup that I made myself because of the locked bootloader. Sucks, right?

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

again why get a low level samsung phone?  The nexus 5 is almost the same price.  I will never own a samsung phone unless its unlockable.  The s5 I have I got for 99 bucks and is hack to the gills.

Tutor

• 

13 Messages

10 years ago

it's the only one they have that isn't gargantuan. I'm not into the huge screens.

someone recommend a phone (any manufacturer) with a 4.0 screen with a decent cpu/gpu? and from a company that is not a fascist regime. I used to have an Atrix until they suddenly dropped plans for JB.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

Yeah even the iPhone is going big. Get a moto x Dev edition 2013. It has a 4.3 inch screen. Even the moto g 2014 has a 4.7. Your not going to find !ich choice these days. Every company has went screen crazy. By far tho the nexus 5 seems smaller than the s4/5 and m8m8

Scholar

• 

104 Messages

10 years ago

Yeah, I don't like the trend for giant screens either. I've got a tablet if I need it. That said, the Moto X (ist Gen.) has a 4.7 inch screen. The Moto G 4G LTE (my device) has a 4.5 inch screen. Both devices are comfortable to use and actually don't seem that big compared to others with similar sized screens. Solid build quality as well.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

10 years ago

I like 5.5 wouldn't want more than that 5.5 fits nicely in my hand and pocket.

Sent from my HTC
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.