Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
ladybug209's profile

Mentor

• 

33 Messages

Thursday, June 13th, 2019 5:42 AM

AT&T VoLTE and HD voice for samsung unlocked devices?

Hello AT&T I would like to know if AT&T is currently working on activating Samsung unlocked devices for VoLTE like the S9, note 9 and S10+ unlocked devices? I know there is a memo on AT&T system that they are working on activating VoLTE on all unlocked devices?

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

5 years ago

@GLIMMERMAN76 Yep, I actually disected most of my boot code this evening, because I was curious about this very fact.  

I sure couldn't find a single string, not "AT&T", "ATT", even my search for "AT*T" (the asterisk is a wildcard value here, for clarification), using grep, and I found NONE.

Now I have to figure out how to get my phone back to "normal", hmm, oh well, how hard can it be, to unr00t (it's been a few years, and the process has changed a lot, IMO)...

Oh yeah, @ladybug209 , yep, my OP7 Pro has had VoLTE since I turned it on, the very first day, 5/19/19, and I've NEVER seen it falter (back to 3G/HSPA) for voice, or just sitting there, on the desk, whatever, not once.

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

5 years ago

@lizdance40 wrote:

@ladybug209   Yeah, right.  My 6t said VoLTE was provisioned in settings too.  But in fact did not anymore.  I can also get it to say Wifi calling is provisioned and on, but it does not work.  

Says both are on with Verizon.  VoLTE actually is, Wifi calling is not.  

We know darn well that AT&T and Verizon could allow Wi-Fi calling and voice over LTE on these devices if they chose. They would rather we purchase their branded devices instead. Since most people use installments it ties people to the carrier for a good number of months and guarantees them a predictable income.  

If customers stop upgrading through carriers and stop buying branded devices it might force carriers to bend 

Yep, 1000%, @lizdance40 , they could enable this for almost all the phones out there, now (the ones that have decent VoLTE code, which is almost all, say from the last 5-ish years). 

Look at the Big_Pink, they enable it for almost anything that turns on, and you don't hear about having to get an "OEM Update", for some random phone, that you bought in China, that just happens to have enough bands to work with their LTE.

You can darn-well bet that that phone did NOT have the right TMo boot-code values (from the Chinese company that did the firmware), never did, and never will...

I'm sure there are *some* Android phones out there that won't work on their network, full-featured (WiFi call/text in particular is trickier), but it's gotta' be a pretty small, at least of the phones you can purchase in the US...

Mentor

• 

33 Messages

5 years ago

@pgrey I guess my English isn't good enough. How many times I mentioned PROPER provisioning? Samsung sent their test units to the supported network  the big 4. I'm tired of explaining I am done here by the way i know samsung software engineer that does the VoLTE coding just saying.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

5 years ago

@ladybug209 wrote:

@GLIMMERMAN76  study the screenshots i posted.

@ladybug209 

You have shown NOTHING period.  My phones have the same screens if they are Samsung.  Again I do not care who your friends are at Samsung they fragment android so much its not even funny so you commenting on how provisioning goes on NON Samsung phones is not getting you anywhere with me or @pgrey .  We are both software peeps and I build and sell iOS and Android apps.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

5 years ago

@pgrey wrote:

@lizdance40 wrote:

@ladybug209   Yeah, right.  My 6t said VoLTE was provisioned in settings too.  But in fact did not anymore.  I can also get it to say Wifi calling is provisioned and on, but it does not work.  

Says both are on with Verizon.  VoLTE actually is, Wifi calling is not.  

We know darn well that AT&T and Verizon could allow Wi-Fi calling and voice over LTE on these devices if they chose. They would rather we purchase their branded devices instead. Since most people use installments it ties people to the carrier for a good number of months and guarantees them a predictable income.  

If customers stop upgrading through carriers and stop buying branded devices it might force carriers to bend 

Yep, 1000%, @lizdance40 , they could enable this for almost all the phones out there, now (the ones that have decent VoLTE code, which is almost all, say from the last 5-ish years). 

Look at the Big_Pink, they enable it for almost anything that turns on, and you don't hear about having to get an "OEM Update", for some random phone, that you bought in China, that just happens to have enough bands to work with their LTE.

You can darn-well bet that that phone did NOT have the right TMo boot-code values (from the Chinese company that did the firmware), never did, and never will...

I'm sure there are *some* Android phones out there that won't work on their network, full-featured (WiFi call/text in particular is trickier), but it's gotta' be a pretty small, at least of the phones you can purchase in the US...

@pgrey 

Nokia phones get VoLTE right out of the box just saying.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.6K Messages

5 years ago

@ladybug209 wrote:

@pgrey I guess my English isn't good enough. How many times I mentioned PROPER provisioning? Samsung sent their test units to the supported network  the big 4. I'm tired of explaining I am done here by the way i know samsung software engineer that does the VoLTE coding just saying.

Well, now you’re just being insulting and condescending.  🙄.  

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

5 years ago

@GLIMMERMAN76 Yep, exactly, the Nokias are another great example.  I bet I could go buy a phone, from the NZ or something, from some random carrier there, and it'd all work (if the bands/freq lined up) on TMo, at least VoLTE, and VVM, possibly WiFiC, and the whole bit.  

ALL of my WinPhones had VVM, worked PERFECTLY, yet none of my OP phones have ever been able to get it, IMS carrier strings/IDs lacking, yeah, not so much.

@ladybug209 Please think long/hard, about my example, where if you could get an S9 (a branded-activated AT&T model) IMEI "stuffed" into the DB, by a T2 tech (I know of plenty of instances where this has worked and can post pointers from devs on XDA posting, etc, if you want), and boom-zip, ALL the features work, on the non-branded model, INCLUDING WiFi caling/texting, ALL of them, and they persist, indefinitely.

Or, PLEASE, go look at the specs I posted, they ALSO explain exactly how this works, end-to-end, and the code-base does NOT lie, it's really as simple as that.  
Buttons and sliders are only "faccia", for the actual code, which can behave  quite differently than they might have you believe.  Even the "secret Android screens" do not always reveal what's going on in the back-end, trust me, I've seen this happen, more than once, where those settings do not reflect reality.

@lizdance40 's problem with her 6T is a "direct reflection" of where those screens said she was getting VoLTE, but she was NOT, because something went haywire with an IMEI range, and she got de-provisioned.

Our OP 5T and 6 BOTH appear to get VoLTE-provisioned, too, but guess what, they're IMEI blocked, so the provisioning never finishes, it get over-ridden by AT&T IMEI checks, per that Spec-Class I posted, above.

There are thousands of Android devices out there, Samsung is probably the "least native" version in existence, or close.  I've worked with Samsung phone engineers before (a couple of years back), for about a year, working on voice-engineering-implementations with them (I was the the Dev-lead/Tech-PM on a big chunk of the project), and I can attest to just how "far off" their code-base is, from anything even remotely "native", such as a Pixel device...

@GLIMMERMAN76 has posted here as well, he works on Android ALL the time, and is down in the nuts/bolts; when you do that, believe me, you get a "solid knowledge" for how the CODE ITSELF works, it's a fact, I still know a lot of how Windows works, even though I haven't written any OS code for quite some time...

I'm VERY sorry if I've hurt your feelings here, I just don't want people to find this thread, and get the incorrect information, about the whole deal, it's really as simple as that.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

My unlocked S10+ got an update yesterday and today I just checked and I have VoLTE! NO wifi calling or anything else, but it's a start!

Mentor

• 

33 Messages

5 years ago

@BPeterF VoLTE has been working on S10 since early september.

To everyone I got information from samsung engineers. They have not receive a "thumbs up" from AT&T to release VoLTE on the rest of Unlocked devices specially the note 10 so it is not gonna be anytime soon he says. But I am suspecting by december it should be enabled AT&T VoLTE has to be implemented in the IMS profile of the firmware. @pgrey uniformity of the IMS profile, sim card and the network has to match for VoLTE to work "PROPERLY and LEGALLY" it can implement individually but this is against AT&T regulations specially E911 issues. It's how many times I have to explain this but believe what you believe in you will be waiting for nothing for waiting AT&T to provisioned just like that. Certification process is very important for US networks or it can get liability issue. @GLIMMERMAN76 You claimed you are into software and sells apps but then you said note 10 has VoLTE and no need to update? tsk tsk tsk.. Yup you dont need to trust me but I know for sure you know what I am talking about and you guys know I am right. I personally asked this engineer to confirm which I will be deleting when you read it.

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

5 years ago

@ladybug209 

Samsung IS DIFFERENT, that's why @GLIMMERMAN76 mentioned it, they have an IMS like no other one I've seen.

I seriously doubt one that OnePlus pushed a "fix" like this, to disable VoLTE on @lizdance40's  OnePlus 6T, for example.

Sure, the licensing is VERY important, to Samsung IN PARTICULAR, because they have MASSIVE AGREEMENTS with AT&T, spanning many years. 

OnePlus, not so much.

I would bet, too, that that "fix" is a "version number change", and *maybe* a "date update", to current, why don't you ask that "support engineer" what the actual "fix" is?

Did you look at this Spec/Class, that I sent, the actual code???  The code is (fairly, in this case) simple, it doesn't lie, I don't get that part?

I can send you my dis-assembled OP7 Pro boot code, if you want (had had VoLTE since first turn-on, out-of-the-box), I'm happy to, if that'll help?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.