The Samsung Galaxy S24
ladybug209's profile

Mentor

• 

33 Messages

Thursday, June 13th, 2019 5:42 AM

AT&T VoLTE and HD voice for samsung unlocked devices?

Hello AT&T I would like to know if AT&T is currently working on activating Samsung unlocked devices for VoLTE like the S9, note 9 and S10+ unlocked devices? I know there is a memo on AT&T system that they are working on activating VoLTE on all unlocked devices?

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

5 years ago

Yeah, @GLIMMERMAN76 , @ladybug209 I've tried about 27 different ways, to get our OP 5T and 6, working, to no avail.  

It isn't exactly giving me "warm fuzzy feelings", about moving forward here, if it's simply a "guessing game".  

The ONLY thing I can think of, that I haven't done, is r00t-ing them, and manually tweaking the IMS setting, and seeing what happens.  But these are my wife and daughter's phones, so I'm not exactly fired up about that.

I spend a small amount of time on the OnePlus forums too, and people are "freaking out' over there, about this, and the 01/20 impending date...

Mentor

• 

33 Messages

5 years ago

@pgrey No AT&T said they will stop activating non-VoLTE phones on their BYOD IMEI check but you can still use it until they can finally shutdown 3G. AT&T implement VoLTE on a different way it needs to input IMS settings in the firmware which why it needs to update it. AT&T told me you need to be on the latest firmware and they told me they are working round the clock to get all VoLTE enabled in 2021 they will update everyone on AT&T for the VoLTE info. I am assuming by next year 2020 VoLTE will enabled on greater devices specially after Android 10 upgrade.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

5 years ago

@ladybug209 wrote:

@pgrey No AT&T said they will stop activating non-VoLTE phones on their BYOD IMEI check but you can still use it until they can finally shutdown 3G. AT&T implement VoLTE on a different way it needs to input IMS settings in the firmware which why it needs to update it. AT&T told me you need to be on the latest firmware and they told me they are working round the clock to get all VoLTE enabled in 2021 they will update everyone on AT&T for the VoLTE info. I am assuming by next year 2020 VoLTE will enabled on greater devices specially after Android 10 upgrade.

Someone at ATT you talked to is full of it about IMS settings in firmware.  Its been in androids code since the pixel 3 was released hence why it gets VoLTE and WiFi calling.  Samsung has included the settings for VoLTE and WiFi Calling since the S8 series in the CSC file on ALL US BASED S series and Note series phones since the S8.  Easy test of all this is to stick a sim card from a ATT phone into a unlocked phone and VoLTE will work for a little time then go away once the system catches the IMEI.  ATT is blocking VoLTE on most phones by IMEI all they have to do is stop it.

Mentor

• 

33 Messages

5 years ago

@GLIMMERMAN76 Nope IMS settings has to be in the CSC firmware of the phone good example of it is that the pixel 2 at first launch no volte on AT&T but after the update it is now has VoLTE. tmobile and verizon use standard android VoLTE but AT&T has extra step to trigger VoLTE.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

5 years ago

@pgrey   The 6t lost Volte and I was unable to get it back.  Strike whatever and reason for trying Verizon.  

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

5 years ago

@ladybug209 wrote:

@pgrey Those lists are not official unless they are all carrier branded phones it does not include unlockde but you know what do whatever you want to believe you will be stressing yourself for nothing. "all capable phones" S10 unlocked has it so means it is true!!

@ladybug209 

The Sprint site has it, plain-as-day, and there are re-directs, on the TMo site, to that one, to "check for compatibility', which is pretty much "unnecessary" on TMo anyway, because almost every phone made over the past 3-4 years or so, "just works" (even if their coverage doesn't work, for me, for both of these carriers).

Verizon has publicly stated they're working with Google on RCS, has a timeline, and have stated their intent to enable VoLTE (and possibly WiFiC) on pretty much everything (and this is VERY actively happening, you can read about it all over other forums, they're turning on phones left/right).  

Fi has a list, on that site, as well, it's super-easy to query.

What does AT&T have here, on ANY of these?  Just sayin'...

I cannot afford to go spend 800-1400, on two Samsung (or iOS) devices at this point, it's just not in the cards, just to "satisfy" AT&T's "whim of a choice" here.  I doubt I'd spend it, even if I had the spare cash laying around, I'm way too principled about this kind of stuff.

That's their decision, I've made mine, such is life.

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

5 years ago

@GLIMMERMAN76 wrote:

@ladybug209 wrote:

Someone at ATT you talked to is full of it about IMS settings in firmware.  Its been in androids code since the pixel 3 was released hence why it gets VoLTE and WiFi calling.  Samsung has included the settings for VoLTE and WiFi Calling since the S8 series in the CSC file on ALL US BASED S series and Note series phones since the S8.  Easy test of all this is to stick a sim card from a ATT phone into a unlocked phone and VoLTE will work for a little time then go away once the system catches the IMEI.  ATT is blocking VoLTE on most phones by IMEI all they have to do is stop it.

Yep, @GLIMMERMAN76 , @ladybug209  THIS, exactly.  
Why they won't just unblock these is beyond me, truly.  
Or we can all "dance around" the topic, can try to "convince ourselves" that it's "horribly technical", to implement, but it's not, period.

I could literally take the SIM, from an fully-provisioned/activated S10 device, and move it it to my OP6, say, and it'd all work, probably for about 60 seconds, before it was IMEI-blocked (to re-summarize what @GLIMMERMAN76 said here).

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

5 years ago

@ladybug209 wrote:

@GLIMMERMAN76 Nope IMS settings has to be in the CSC firmware of the phone good example of it is that the pixel 2 at first launch no volte on AT&T but after the update it is now has VoLTE. tmobile and verizon use standard android VoLTE but AT&T has extra step to trigger VoLTE.

Only Samsung uses a CSC file.  There is nothing to trip for VoLTE.  The pixel 2 got it after google updated the IMS config which is now the same config on all android phones.

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

5 years ago

IF I had a 3rd party device, a cell-repeater-tracer, so I could trace packets, I'd fire up Wireshark, and post a call-stack here, which would show the IMEI-block, plain-and-simple (this is super easy to demonstrate on a LAN, using Wireshark, for similar issues, say on ICMPv6).

Anyone want to lend me one of these??  ;-]

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

5 years ago

@ladybug209 

Take a look at this spec, here: https://source.android.com/devices/tech/connect/ims

The "carrier overrides" Class speaks volumes, that pretty much sums it up, right there.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.