The Samsung Galaxy S24
ladybug209's profile

Mentor

 • 

33 Messages

Thursday, June 13th, 2019 5:42 AM

AT&T VoLTE and HD voice for samsung unlocked devices?

Hello AT&T I would like to know if AT&T is currently working on activating Samsung unlocked devices for VoLTE like the S9, note 9 and S10+ unlocked devices? I know there is a memo on AT&T system that they are working on activating VoLTE on all unlocked devices?

ACE - Sage

 • 

116K Messages

5 years ago

@pgrey   Before I forget to ask, how is the battery life on the 1+7 pro?  The screen and longevity have been said to be at odds with one an other.   I’m still holding off, but really having a tech attack being down to 2 phones. 

 My younger son needs to upgrade before At&t kicks his phone out.  He’s already grieving 😂.  

Master

 • 

3.5K Messages

5 years ago


@GLIMMERMAN76 wrote:

@lizdance40 wrote:

Verizon is a full year ahead of At&t on this.  

You can’t compare what AT&T will do or might do, to what Verizon is already actively doing. Verizon has refused to activate any CDMA only phones as of this year.  Any existing CDMA only phones have to be replaced by EOY.  

AT&T has not shut out activation of 3g phones yet and will not until at least the end of this year.  Existing phones may be able to run right up until the date they shut it down. 

   It is very unlikely you will see substantial if any backward compatibility.  So if you don’t have VoLTE now, it’s unlikely you’ll get it on current phones. 

    You keep implying you have information we don’t.  As @GLIMMERMAN76  is very much on top of things cellular and AT&T, I’m not inclined to take your word over his at this time.  

    That said, it would be nice if At&t proved my wrong.  

 

 


@lizdance40  @pgrey 

 

I am saying that older phones that have went EOL will not see wifi calling or VoLTE.  The thing people forget is the IMS setting need changed(this is done by Google and the OEM's except Samsung) and the IMEI numbers either whitelisted OR remove the requirement to have to have a compatible IMEI.  S9 may get it if Samsung cares to do it BUT why should they the phone will be EOL next year.  Its not like someone using a u1 can't make a U1 get wifi calling and Volte by changing the CSC file.  Its not rocket science either.

 

I still stand by my predictions that wifi calling will not come to all BYOP devices and it will be on SELECT devices aka pixel 3 and 3a and pixel 4 when it drops.  I mean the pixel 3a took a week or more to get VoLTE and Wifi calling support after I got it.  It makes a nice camera but a poor phone for a power user like me.

 

 


@GLIMMERMAN76 Yeah, but why would a company like OnePlus (who releases firmware/OS patches, OFTEN) not be willing to update their IMS, if AT&T says they're good, on their side?

They *seem* to be VERY customer-focused, on the whole, I've gotten several key-bugs fixed, in a matter of weeks, simply by filing a ticket with them, giving them kernel dumps/logs (sometimes with a pointer to exact failure line(s)), and boom, they've all pretty much gotten fixed, inside of a month or so.  There's something to be said for that, even if the releases aren't 100% stable, at least they fixing key items, and moving their platform forward, even for their really old devices (the 3T just got Pie, not that long ago).  How many S5-S6 phones got it, from the same "generation" (or even some S7 models), hmm... ;-]

 

I bet ATT is not exactly easy to negotiate with, on this stuff, given their profit on mid-range phones and such, or the fact they might "de-value" the flagship S10 (and similar) devices, which are nearly double the price (from them), for maybe 10% or-so more phone, IMHO.

Personally, I wonder why the SEC (or perhaps the FCC, or a mix) isn't all over them for "enabling a small-random set" of BYOD devices, it seems like they're doing this very "strategically" (i.e. questionably), and not in a market/consumer-friendly way, at all.

 

I'd probably look into modifying my CSC (you're right, it at least *looks* pretty darn straightforward, checking out the specs), but I don't think it'll do much, if I'm still "semi-whitelisted" or not listed at all, for the OP6 and OP5T?

ACE - Expert

 • 

23.9K Messages

5 years ago


@pgrey wrote:

@GLIMMERMAN76 wrote:

@lizdance40 wrote:

Verizon is a full year ahead of At&t on this.  

You can’t compare what AT&T will do or might do, to what Verizon is already actively doing. Verizon has refused to activate any CDMA only phones as of this year.  Any existing CDMA only phones have to be replaced by EOY.  

AT&T has not shut out activation of 3g phones yet and will not until at least the end of this year.  Existing phones may be able to run right up until the date they shut it down. 

   It is very unlikely you will see substantial if any backward compatibility.  So if you don’t have VoLTE now, it’s unlikely you’ll get it on current phones. 

    You keep implying you have information we don’t.  As @GLIMMERMAN76  is very much on top of things cellular and AT&T, I’m not inclined to take your word over his at this time.  

    That said, it would be nice if At&t proved my wrong.  

 

 


@lizdance40  @pgrey 

 

I am saying that older phones that have went EOL will not see wifi calling or VoLTE.  The thing people forget is the IMS setting need changed(this is done by Google and the OEM's except Samsung) and the IMEI numbers either whitelisted OR remove the requirement to have to have a compatible IMEI.  S9 may get it if Samsung cares to do it BUT why should they the phone will be EOL next year.  Its not like someone using a u1 can't make a U1 get wifi calling and Volte by changing the CSC file.  Its not rocket science either.

 

I still stand by my predictions that wifi calling will not come to all BYOP devices and it will be on SELECT devices aka pixel 3 and 3a and pixel 4 when it drops.  I mean the pixel 3a took a week or more to get VoLTE and Wifi calling support after I got it.  It makes a nice camera but a poor phone for a power user like me.

 

 


@GLIMMERMAN76 Yeah, but why would a company like OnePlus (who releases firmware/OS patches, OFTEN) not be willing to update their IMS, if AT&T says they're good, on their side?

They *seem* to be VERY customer-focused, on the whole, I've gotten several key-bugs fixed, in a matter of weeks, simply by filing a ticket with them, giving them kernel dumps/logs (sometimes with a pointer to exact failure line(s)), and boom, they've all pretty much gotten fixed, inside of a month or so.  There's something to be said for that, even if the releases aren't 100% stable, at least they fixing key items, and moving their platform forward, even for their really old devices (the 3T just got Pie, not that long ago).  How many S5-S6 phones got it, from the same "generation" (or even some S7 models), hmm... ;-]

 

I bet ATT is not exactly easy to negotiate with, on this stuff, given their profit on mid-range phones and such, or the fact they might "de-value" the flagship S10 (and similar) devices, which are nearly double the price (from them), for maybe 10% or-so more phone, IMHO.

 

I'd probably look into modifying my CSC (you're right, it at least *looks* pretty darn straightforward, checking out the specs), but I don't think it'll do much, if I'm still "semi-whitelisted" or not listed at all, for the OP6 and OP5T?


@pgrey 

 

some of the older phones have chip issues that make support for wifi calling and volte not possible also or so I read a few weeks ago.  Qualcomm builds in needing to get a new device as they retire API's to phones.

Master

 • 

3.5K Messages

5 years ago


@GLIMMERMAN76 wrote:


@pgrey 

 

some of the older phones have chip issues that make support for wifi calling and volte not possible also or so I read a few weeks ago.  Qualcomm builds in needing to get a new device as they retire API's to phones.


@GLIMMERMAN76 Surely this doesn't apply to a "flagship 835/845 device" though, where both work, perfectly well, on another carrier (cough, cough, TMo, ...).  

If AT&T is still *choosing* to some sort of one-off protocol, for "HD Voice" A2D conversion, or similar, that's a "business decision" right?  

 

I bet if I had an ATT-branded S10, and I fired it up with one of our SIMs, just long enough to provision, that I could then move the SIM to say the 5T, and get VoLTE/WiFi calling, at least for a few minutes, before the server re-provisioned it, right?

My old Nexus 6P is another great example, it uses both, on Fi, without issue, as an older 810 phone...

 

This seems like a pretty "bold move", if they're going with "only late 2018 and newer BYOD devices are welcome, and will get VoLTE/WiFiC provisioned" at some point in the very near future?

I wonder sometimes, what the engineer/Tech-PM/salesperson ratios are, in some of the "decision meetings", of this sort.  It's got to be pretty unbalanced...

Mentor

 • 

33 Messages

4 years ago

Good News Everyone Galaxy S10 series Unlocked U1 now have VoLTE on AT&T but no WiFi-Calling yet.

ACE - Sage

 • 

116K Messages

4 years ago

 @ladybug209     Verizon enabled VoLte on the S10 series on release.    As usual AT&T lags significantly behind. 

There is a post on Reddit claiming that someone has an Essential phone on AT&T and after receiving the android 10 OS update, has WiFi calling.   I find that kind of odd seeing is the Essential phone is something of an ‘orphan’ phone. ‘Orphan’ phones (one hit wonders) do not typically get services through the carrier like big brands do. I would have expected oneplus phones to have services before Essential.    I certainly would’ve expected AT&T to honor its original specs on the razor phone 2 and give that phone Wi-Fi calling.   Razor is a US company out of California. My son had the first razor phone and loved it and one of the second one. We wound up passing on that phone and getting him a Google pixel three XL instead which does have Wi-Fi calling on AT&T. 

      My one plus 6T had VoLTE for months, then it disappeared.   Nothing I did good reenable the service. Between that and choosing to go up to unlimited data I took my four lines my mothers line and one tablet and went over to Verizon where My 6t gets VOLTE perfectly and native visual voicemail works too.  It does not have WiFi calling.  

     Since you posted in June we are randomly seeing posts from people who have lost 3G service. I expect we will see more in the next 15 months 

 

ACE - Expert

 • 

23.9K Messages

4 years ago


@ladybug209 wrote:

Good News Everyone Galaxy S10 series Unlocked U1 now have VoLTE on AT&T but no WiFi-Calling yet.


Odd considering the Note 10 and 10+ don't have it and were just released.

Master

 • 

3.5K Messages

4 years ago


@lizdance40 wrote:

 @ladybug209     Verizon enabled VoLte on the S10 series on release.    As usual AT&T lags significantly behind. 

There is a post on Reddit claiming that someone has an Essential phone on AT&T and after receiving the android 10 OS update, has WiFi calling.   I find that kind of odd seeing is the Essential phone is something of an ‘orphan’ phone. ‘Orphan’ phones (one hit wonders) do not typically get services through the carrier like big brands do. I would have expected oneplus phones to have services before Essential.    I certainly would’ve expected AT&T to honor its original specs on the razor phone 2 and give that phone Wi-Fi calling.   Razor is a US company out of California. My son had the first razor phone and loved it and one of the second one. We wound up passing on that phone and getting him a Google pixel three XL instead which does have Wi-Fi calling on AT&T. 

      My one plus 6T had VoLTE for months, then it disappeared.   Nothing I did good reenable the service. Between that and choosing to go up to unlimited data I took my four lines my mothers line and one tablet and went over to Verizon where My 6t gets VOLTE perfectly and native visual voicemail works too.  It does not have WiFi calling.  

     Since you posted in June we are randomly seeing posts from people who have lost 3G service. I expect we will see more in the next 15 months 

 


Yeah, my OP7 Pro has VoLTE, and it never seems to "falter", I don't think I've ever seen it "drop" to HSPA, for data, not once.

I've tried 27 different ways (close anyway), short of rooting my phone and tweaking the IMS, to get our OP6 and 5T to enable VoLTE, to no avail.

 

I don't understand what AT&T is going to "do", about these "3G replacements", where it's clearly re-purposing the 3G for LTE, or maybe eventually for 5G.  They're just going to tell everyone without VoLTE devices, "too bad, so sad, you can't even make an emergency call"?  Really???

Master

 • 

3.5K Messages

4 years ago


@GLIMMERMAN76 wrote:

@ladybug209 wrote:

Good News Everyone Galaxy S10 series Unlocked U1 now have VoLTE on AT&T but no WiFi-Calling yet.


Odd considering the Note 10 and 10+ don't have it and were just released.


Exactly.  This game of "whack-a-mole", trying to figure out which phones *might* work after EOY this year is a joke, if you ask me.

I really, truly don't understand it, in light of @lizdance40 's comment (and my follow-up), on 3G being re-purposed?

Mentor

 • 

33 Messages

4 years ago

AT&T says they will allow VoLTE on all phones but the roll out is very slow. They say you need to have a phone that support VoLTE i presumed if you have VoLTE on tmobile and it's unlocked it might work. Galaxy S10 unlocked just got VoLTE of all samsung unlocked phones. VoLTE just pop-up last week.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.