The Samsung Galaxy S24
ladybug209's profile

Mentor

• 

33 Messages

Thursday, June 13th, 2019 5:42 AM

AT&T VoLTE and HD voice for samsung unlocked devices?

Hello AT&T I would like to know if AT&T is currently working on activating Samsung unlocked devices for VoLTE like the S9, note 9 and S10+ unlocked devices? I know there is a memo on AT&T system that they are working on activating VoLTE on all unlocked devices?

Mentor

• 

33 Messages

5 years ago

@GLIMMERMAN76 according to my source VoLTE first and wifi calling is next. I think AT&T is starting to certify VoLTE on unlocked devices that is release this year.

S9 and S10 unlocked U1 has VoLTE and WiFi-Calling on Verizon. When verizon CDMA shuts down officially they will eventually allow wifi-calling to all supported devices.

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

5 years ago

@ladybug209 wrote:

@pgrey Well if you are long time unlocked users you should know that AT&T has filed a notice of discontinuing 3G to the FCC in february 2019 and the 3G shutdown will be in Feb 2022. Due to a 3G shutdown and there are millions of wireless AT&T subscribers that are still using 3G calls, att will enable VoLTE to "all devices" by end of this year (2019) it is now a question of when they will enable VoLTE to samsung unlocked devices. This is not a rumor this is a business decision that was spread to all investors i think. you can read more on reddit about this. According to some reports the first step is for at&t prepaid to get VoLTE and since prepaid now has VoLTE they will start enabling volte to unlocked it has been on the work since last year and it is a slow roll out.

@ladybug209 Yeah, but where's the "ACTUAL memo"?

Yes, I'm VERY aware of the "impending issue" at-hand here, I whine at AT&T about this, on a lot of threads, where people get "stuck", when they realize they have a perfectly good VoLTE device, and can't use it, as such (except by switching to TMo, or perhaps V, depending on their phone and the radios in it).

Sometimes I even "call out" CS, when they tell people to use WiFi-calling, when it's obvious they have a non-branded device, and will not be able to use it, as a "backup", where there's an outage, or similar.

Yes, PrePaid (and cr1cket, to some extent too) has enabled a "small subset" of phones, at this point, which hopefully means they're just going to "enable all capable phones", this would be a smart "business move", IMO, at this juncture, BEFORE they start to lose all this business elsewhere...

It's obviously a bit "odd" right now, because PrePaid has better "Advanced Features" on non-branded devices, than PostPaid, it's completely "backwards" of what they consider their "high touch customers" essentially...

What I'd REALLY like to see, is an actual statement/memo/whatever, as to where this is going (partly because I think things are going to get really "weird" here, right around EOY, this year...).

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

5 years ago

@ladybug209 wrote:

@GLIMMERMAN76 according to my source VoLTE first and wifi calling is next. I think AT&T is starting to certify VoLTE on unlocked devices that is release this year.

S9 and S10 unlocked U1 has VoLTE and WiFi-Calling on Verizon. When verizon CDMA shuts down officially they will eventually allow wifi-calling to all supported devices.

@ladybug209 It's a bit "different" though, with Verizon, they've come out VERY publicly, and stated they're adding this support, because they know it's "impending".

AT&T has said basically nothing, publicly, that I can find anywhere, and have committed to nothing (again, that I can find).  If they would do this, I think it would relieve a lot of "angst", among those consumers who actually understand the "deal" here.

in the meantime though, they're starting to re-purpose things, over to 5G, so if you're stuck on 3G (3.5 HSPA technically, in most cases), you're going to start to have "issues", between now and 2022, well before they turn the lights off, for 3G, IMHO...

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

5 years ago

@ladybug209 wrote:

@lizdance40 Okay i will not explain further. You will hear more about this in due time. I wasn't here to ask AT&T to confirmed because it is already confirmed my question is when will samsung unlocked devices starts getting VoLTE. I suggest you to use google search it will be your best friend.

@ladybug209 IF you know something here, can you please share "your search"?
Here's one of mine, that you think woiuld find it: https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHZL_enUS753US753&ei=eSPsXLuoHIu0tQWAk5SABA&q=att+3g+shutdown+activation+and+BYOD%3F&oq=att+3g+shutdown+activation+and+BYOD%3F&gs_l=psy-ab.3...18583.20699..20947...1.0..0.138.1500.0j12......0....1..gws-wiz.Y17IoVnor5g

No one knows any dates here (for unlocked Samsung or other VoLTE capable devices), because AT&T has never confirmed they're even going to do this.  If you know otherwise, through some official channel (or some refined search), we'd REALLY APPRECIATE the pointer.  Thanks.

@lizdance40 It's very weird, my OP7 Pro uses VoLTE pretty much exclusively now, but the 6 and 5T in the household are still stuck, despite getting all new SIMs, which should have that side of things cleared up (buy all non-carrier devices, your SIMs get old, ours were all 2-4 years, mine was the 4YO one, and boom, it enabled on my OP7, instantly, no switches, nada, when rebooted with the new one).

Why in the world would they enable one or two models from this OEM, when they're all (more or less the same, certainly >= an S9) fully VoLTE capable, is beyond me...

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

5 years ago

@GLIMMERMAN76 wrote:

@pgrey wrote:

@ladybug209 Any pointers, to the "memo"?

@pgrey 

exactly I want to see said leaked memo....  We know VoLTE is coming BUT I very well doubt wifi calling is coming anytime soon.

@GLIMMERMAN76 1000%, I hope the user comes up with something here.  I've seen lots of "leaked emails" type of stuff, but it's not even remotely corroborated, at this point.

My OP7 Pro (I think I love my phone, for the first time since the 950XL/6P, the friggin' display is crazy-good, among other things) works, but is still lacking (I can't even get to the hidden switches for it, except perhaps if I start an ADB and "hand edit" some stuff) VoWiFi, and some sort of TextoWiFi (one can hope...).

RCS is obviously the next "piece of the puzzle" if you ask me, for AT&T to "bring things fully into the 2010's", they'd actually be "keeping up" with the front-runners here, if they did all three here, it'd change the reviews of the carrier, a LOT, too, I think.

It's particularly odd right now, because a lot more non-branded devices have most of the "Advanced Features", on Prepaid, but NOT on Postpaid, seems pretty upside-down...

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

5 years ago

Verizon is a full year ahead of At&t on this.  

You can’t compare what AT&T will do or might do, to what Verizon is already actively doing. Verizon has refused to activate any CDMA only phones as of this year.  Any existing CDMA only phones have to be replaced by EOY.  

AT&T has not shut out activation of 3g phones yet and will not until at least the end of this year.  Existing phones may be able to run right up until the date they shut it down. 

It is very unlikely you will see substantial if any backward compatibility.  So if you don’t have VoLTE now, it’s unlikely you’ll get it on current phones. 

You keep implying you have information we don’t.  As @GLIMMERMAN76  is very much on top of things cellular and AT&T, I’m not inclined to take your word over his at this time.  

That said, it would be nice if At&t proved my wrong.  

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

5 years ago

@lizdance40 wrote:

You can’t compare what AT&T will do or might do, to what Verizon is already actively doing. Verizon has refused to activate any CDMA only phones as of this year.  Any existing CDMA only phones have to be replaced by EOY.  

AT&T has not shut out activation of 3g phones yet and will not until at least the end of this year.  Existing phones may be able to run right up until the date they shut it down. 

It is very unlikely you will see substantial if any backward compatibility.  So if you don’t have VoLTE now, it’s unlikely you’ll get it on current phones. 

You keep implying you have information we don’t.  As @GLIMMERMAN76  is very much on top of things cellular and AT&T, I’m not inclined to take your word over his at this time.  

@lizdance40 This is true, but what happens at EOY (that's starting to get pretty close) with ANYONE with an account, wanting to get a new phone, they can only buy branded, or a VERY small subset, of what should work?  Same for US-bound travelers, as you've pointed out before, they'd be totally hosed here, I bet VERY few of their devices meet "this bar".

I sort of think they're going to make this more like T-Mobile does, and include almost any VoLTE capable device, sometimes soon, they're just keeping things "really close to the vest", if you ask me.  I sure hope that we see a link to a "real document" here...

If they don't, I bet they lose at least 50%, probably more like 75%, of any travelers to the US, that market would basically be wiped-out, or close.  That number has to be a pretty big one.

Add in all the BYOD people who start getting "shut out", and that's really going to add up (plus, by law they're supposed to support BYOD, and have 3GPP contracts for the same, and more).

@lizdance40 Did you see the Verizon "BYOD, and get $250, when you switch" campaign?  Pretty smart, if you ask me, although the "Band 13 issue" might limit things a bit there.

At the exact point AT&T is seemingly telling BYOD people to "shove off", they're offering a new place to dock, nice and easy (sort of, if you have the right devices), and a bonus, to-boot.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

5 years ago

@pgrey I don’t even tempt myself.  As near as I can figure, Unlimited would cost me $80 more just for the base plan, my taxes would go way up (and if you know anything about CT, our new-ish governor is trying to tax us to death).   Verizon’s mix and match is so much more expensive even with the 5 gig kid lines, it’s crazy.  

Re travelers: disaster.  It would shut out almost everything except iPhone, and non US iPhone may not be VoLTE.  Lots of android users visit, and will find they had no service.  

As for Verizon BYOD, they still are picky.  The 1+7 pro and 7 still aren’t certified. Still no WiFi calling.  So I’m still hanging onto my plan.  Would have liked the double data, but 🤷🏼‍♀️   

On a side note, more and more non VoLTE devices are not showing in the unlock portal.  

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

5 years ago

@lizdance40 wrote:

@lizdance40  @pgrey 

I am saying that older phones that have went EOL will not see wifi calling or VoLTE.  The thing people forget is the IMS setting need changed(this is done by Google and the OEM's except Samsung) and the IMEI numbers either whitelisted OR remove the requirement to have to have a compatible IMEI.  S9 may get it if Samsung cares to do it BUT why should they the phone will be EOL next year.  Its not like someone using a u1 can't make a U1 get wifi calling and Volte by changing the CSC file.  Its not rocket science either.

I still stand by my predictions that wifi calling will not come to all BYOP devices and it will be on SELECT devices aka pixel 3 and 3a and pixel 4 when it drops.  I mean the pixel 3a took a week or more to get VoLTE and Wifi calling support after I got it.  It makes a nice camera but a poor phone for a power user like me.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

5 years ago

@lizdance40 wrote:

@pgrey I don’t even tempt myself.  As near as I can figure, Unlimited would cost me $80 more just for the base plan, my taxes would go way up (and if you know anything about CT, our new-ish governor is trying to tax us to death).   Verizon’s mix and match is so much more expensive even with the 5 gig kid lines, it’s crazy.  

Re travelers: disaster.  It would shut out almost everything except iPhone, and non US iPhone may not be VoLTE.  Lots of android users visit, and will find they had no service.  

As for Verizon BYOD, they still are picky.  The 1+7 pro and 7 still aren’t certified. Still no WiFi calling.  So I’m still hanging onto my plan.  Would have liked the double data, but 🤷🏼‍♀️   

On a side note, more and more non VoLTE devices are not showing in the unlock portal.  

@lizdance40 

I am deciding to save 12 bucks to switch to new unlimited prem and more or stay with unlimited plus.  I just kicked DTV to the curb last week.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.