Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Get to the head of the class with our Back to School deals!
ladybug209

Mentor

• 

33 Messages

Thu, Jun 13, 2019 5:42 AM

AT&T VoLTE and HD voice for samsung unlocked devices?

Hello AT&T I would like to know if AT&T is currently working on activating Samsung unlocked devices for VoLTE like the S9, note 9 and S10+ unlocked devices? I know there is a memo on AT&T system that they are working on activating VoLTE on all unlocked devices?

Responses

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

7 months ago

Not working for the Note 10 unlocked. I don't understand why it has to be so complicated: just turn it on for all devices. It's that simple. If T-Mobile can do it, so can you.

May I also add that they've removed a 3G tower at my office, preventing me from initiating a call. While I'm not going to test this, I'm suspecting this would also impact 911.

These boneheads are going to end up with a lawsuit when some unfortunate soul with an unlocked device has an emergency and lands in that 3G dead spot.

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

19.8K Messages

7 months ago

@notsopleased wrote:

Not working for the Note 10 unlocked. I don't understand why it has to be so complicated: just turn it on for all devices. It's that simple. If T-Mobile can do it, so can you.

May I also add that they've removed a 3G tower at my office, preventing me from initiating a call. While I'm not going to test this, I'm suspecting this would also impact 911.

These boneheads are going to end up with a lawsuit when some unfortunate soul with an unlocked device has an emergency and lands in that 3G dead spot.

@notsopleased 

e911 works on any phone as it will pick up another tower and the phone should say emergency calls only.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

76.5K Messages

7 months ago

@notsopleased wrote:

Yes, At&t could, and between VoLTE and Wifi calling, and ‘questionable’ customer service, I went over the wall.  

Removed?  Or shut off 3g service to migrate to 5g?

@GLIMMERMAN76  Is correct. 911 service is connected through any carrier in range, as required 

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

7 months ago

Not migrated to 5G. They had an issue with their main cell tower, so they rolled out a portable tower which only supports 4G. When I called customer service, they told me the tower was going to be decommissioned, and that they weren't planning on bringing back 3G because "there isn't enough device traffic to warrant it." I explained to them that a brand new unlocked Samsung device from BestBuy hops over to 3G when making a call. They told me they'd look into it, but 3 months later nothing has changed.

My IMS Registration status is still false.

I'm livid, especially when the same phone works perfectly with T-Mo's VoLTE. I would have switched in a heartbeat if this wasn't a business line.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

76.5K Messages

7 months ago

@notsopleased   Verizon?   The unlocked note 10 and S10 are getting VoLTE and you can enable Wifi calling. 

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

19.8K Messages

7 months ago

@lizdance40 wrote:

@notsopleased   Verizon?   The unlocked note 10 and S10 are getting VoLTE and you can enable Wifi calling. 

The s10 u series is getting VoLTE on ATT they just have not rolled it out to the note 10 series for some reason.

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

7 months ago

Correct. The unlocked S10 properly registers ims service, but when I try it with an unlocked Note10, ims does not register and VoLTE does not function.

It seems Note10 users were completely screwed over, even though the phone is newer.

Apologies for sounding cranky, but this was impacting my ability to join meetings via phone, forcing me to spend another grand on an iPhone as my Note was essentially unusable while I was at work. This 3G tower issue creeped up right outside of the return window.

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

19.8K Messages

7 months ago

@notsopleased wrote:

Correct. The unlocked S10 properly registers ims service, but when I try it with an unlocked Note10, ims does not register and VoLTE does not function.

It seems Note10 users were completely screwed over, even though the phone is newer.

Apologies for sounding cranky, but this was impacting my ability to join meetings via phone, forcing me to spend another grand on an iPhone as my Note was essentially unusable while I was at work. This 3G tower issue creeped up right outside of the return window.

@notsopleased 

The s10 series sold 20 times the phones the note 10 series did hence why ATT did it first.  I dont understand why you did not just buy a iPhone 7 or 8 and pop the sim in that phone at work.  Thats just me tho.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 months ago

Man, this is really pathetic. Come on ATT, let's get things moving! It's been almost two months now since I first posted here about VoLTE on my Note 10+ and nada, zip, zero change of status. If T-Mobile only had better coverage in my area, you can be sure I'd have kicked ATT to the curb a long time ago.

Wasted effort I know, but ANY updates?

jjemil808

Teacher

• 

28 Messages

7 months ago

Supposedly, by the end of the year, AT&T has to enable VoLTE on all VoLTE capable unlocked devices. It's out of necessity, because they'll be shutting down 3G.

Last month, I placed a call to a landline on my unlocked Galaxy S9 G960U1 on AT&T prepaid. The guy on the other end told me I'm coming through very weak and broken up. The call was to a landline, so I know it was not an issue with the other guy's poor cell reception.

The problem was with my Galaxy S9.The wireless network indicator showed that my cellular call was on the HSPA+ network. HSPA+ is outdated 3G technology. No wonder the poor quality of the call.

That's another important issue with the unlocked Samsung phones on AT&T. With no VoLTE, the calls switch to HSPA+ and once AT&T shuts down 3G, there will be no call at all. Hence, the necessity for AT&T to enable VoLTE on all unlocked VoLTE capable Samsung phones.

Addendum: Before placing the call, my GS9 was showing LTE+. I have no idea why during the call it switched to HSPA+.

pgrey

ACE - Master

• 

3.4K Messages

7 months ago

@jjemil808 Just to clarify, they're mostly just shutting down "activations that are 3G-only", NOT the 3G service, itself (they are slowly re-purposing some of those towers/frequencies though, so 3G proliferation will slowly degrade, to some degree, between now and 2022).

If you have a phone that they think qualifies for VoLTE service (even if it's not the phone you ultimately use on a daily basis), then you should still be able to get activated, for now.

It does seem like things are going to get interesting though, at least, starting in early 2020...

*If this (or another post in this thread) fixes your problem/issue, please mark it as "accept-solution", and I'll tag it, to make it easier for others to find the answer(s). FYI: I'm an AT&T end-user, just like most of us in the forum. Thanks.

jjemil808

Teacher

• 

28 Messages

Just want to report that with the Android 10 update, Samsung and/or AT&T finally enabled VoLTE on the unlocked Galaxy S9 on 960U1 Android 10 DTA5 firmware.

I’ve confirmed that during calls the network indicator stays on LTE and doesn’t drop to H+.

*#*#4636#*#* shows that the VoLTE toggle switch is disabled, but it’s disabled on the “on” position.

But no WiFi calling yet, if there’s a plan at all for AT&T to enable WiFi calling on unlocked Samsung devices.

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

19.8K Messages

@jjemil808 I doubt you will ever see wifi calling on the s9 or note 9

• 

8 Messages

Been an Att cell customer for over 20 years. I Bought an unlocked S9 on ebay about a year ago. I just realized a month ago VOLTE is not turned on or supported. 2 weeks ago my phone updated to android 10 and I could not select supplementary services any more to forward my phone.

After a week of posting on this forum and the samsung forum and replacing my SIM. Att support tells me My unlocked phone is not supported for this basic feature. I tried one more thing by going to Ubreakifix and having my firmware reflashed and was still not able to forward.

I haved a basic need to forward my phone for work which i was doing the whole year I've had it so I went straight to T-Mobile switched services and now I have VOLTE, wifi calling AND FORWARDING WORKING ON MY S9!!!

All I can say is At&t better get there sh*t together. I'm out!

(edited)

jjemil808

Teacher

• 

28 Messages

@pjazz

I just tested call forwarding on my unlocked GS9 on Android 10 960U1 DTA5 firmware.

Call forwarding works fine. I was able to forward my cell phone calls to my home phone and tested by calling my cell phone. It went to my home phone’s voicemail.

Phone settings > Supplementary Services > Call forwarding > Always forward - turn it on and enter forwarding phone number here

I’m on AT&T prepaid.

So, for me both VoLTE and call forwarding work on my unlocked GS9 on Android 10

• 

8 Messages

Sorry I meant Wifi calling. Thought Volte was the same thing

joeldf

ACE - Guru

• 

481 Messages

@pjazz , just remember that the "LTE" part of VoLTE means it's still cellular.

:)

- Joel

• 

8 Messages

Gotcha I have both now. :)

• 

13 Messages

@pjazz and @jjemil808 Are your unlocked S9 phones working properly now? I have an unlocked S9 and my phone calling feature has been messed up since I did a software update (latest update I got is G960U1UEU7DTC2) a little over 3 weeks ago. Everything on my phone works (no issue with getting data and texts), but I cannot make or receive calls while I'm on LTE. I've been active in another forum discussion and it looks like I'm not the only one having this issue. Wondering if maybe other folks are having issues with their unlocked phones (whether S9 or not)...

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

19.8K Messages

@Marilyne You maybe in a area they are shutting 3g down.

• 

13 Messages

@GLIMMERMAN76 interestingly enough, I can still connect to the 3G network and actually being under H/H+ is the only way I can make/receive calls. When I'm connected to the LTE network, my basic phone call feature stops working, and from what I can see on my phone front-end, everything seems to be set up properly to have VoLTE working. It doesn't though, so that's why I was wondering if other folks from this thread are recently having similar issues with their unlocked S9 =/

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

19.8K Messages

att does not support VoLTE on an unlocked samsung before the s10 right now. The note 10 still does not have VoLTE. Your phone supports it but ATT does not.

jjemil808

Teacher

• 

28 Messages

@Marilyne yes. I’m on the same Galaxy S9 firmware as you, G960U1UEU7DTC2 and VoLTE was enabled enabled on my unlocked S9 since the Android 10 update.

VoLTE is still working fine for me to make and receive phone calls.

If you look at my previous post, 2 posts ago, there is a keypad dialcode to confirm VoLTE is provisioned:

*#*#4636#*#*

Phone information

Then scroll towards the bottom

The VoLTE Provisionned toggle switch should be in the “on” position

• 

13 Messages

@jjemil808 I did check that the toggle was on the "on" position, and it was. My phone was working fine right up until the last software update, so I was thinking that maybe the latest update caused the Phone app to malfunction. Since it's working for you, then I guess not...Thanks for answering my question!

@GLIMMERMAN76 Could be something wrong with my account or they are indeed doing something in my area. Last time I talked with ATT support though, everything seemed to be fine with both my account and network area. I will try to check with them again. Thanks for your replies!

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

19.8K Messages

whats interesting is att is sending notices to some with U1 phones that they will not be compatable in the coming months which is weird

jjemil808

Teacher

• 

28 Messages

To confirm even more, I just did a quick test call.

I turned off the phone wi-fi

The network indicator showed LTE+

I made a phone call. The network indicator stayed on LTE+ during the entire call.

Sound was crystal clear with no background noise. I was definitely on HD voice.

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

19.8K Messages

@jjemil808 Oh I have no doubt but something is going on.

• 

1 Message

I'm an AT&T user with a Branded Samsung S10+ although in my case I rebranded by change the CSC code through the dialer menu and now I don't have Wifi-Calling nor VoLTE for stock Samsung software. I checked the provisioning settings and my VoLTE is in the off position greyed out. Reading through half the forum I'm not sure if its a supported feature or if I broke my phone specically feature wise.

• 

2 Messages

does anyone know if the s8 plus unlocked will get volte and wifi calling right now its disabled when i open provision menu and it doent let me toggle it on

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

19.8K Messages

no the s8 series will not.

• 

2 Messages

Can anyone confirm is this is available on a Samsung A9, model number SM-A920F/DS? When I attempt to enable VoLTE I get

To use the VoLTE service, subscribe to VoLTE. Contact your service provider for details.

The software version I am running is A920FXXU3CTCD. I am an AT&T prepaid customer. Is there anything I need to do to enable this?

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

19.8K Messages

• 

2 Messages

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I also was under the impression that VoLTE and Wifi calling were similar, but just wanted to confirm, does this also mean that this phone will not be eligible for Wifi calling?

(edited)

Get started...

Ask a new question