The Samsung Galaxy S24
ladybug209's profile

Mentor

• 

33 Messages

Thursday, June 13th, 2019 5:42 AM

AT&T VoLTE and HD voice for samsung unlocked devices?

Hello AT&T I would like to know if AT&T is currently working on activating Samsung unlocked devices for VoLTE like the S9, note 9 and S10+ unlocked devices? I know there is a memo on AT&T system that they are working on activating VoLTE on all unlocked devices?

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

4 years ago

@lizdance40 wrote:

@notsopleased   Verizon?   The unlocked note 10 and S10 are getting VoLTE and you can enable Wifi calling. 

The s10 u series is getting VoLTE on ATT they just have not rolled it out to the note 10 series for some reason.

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

Correct. The unlocked S10 properly registers ims service, but when I try it with an unlocked Note10, ims does not register and VoLTE does not function.

It seems Note10 users were completely screwed over, even though the phone is newer.

Apologies for sounding cranky, but this was impacting my ability to join meetings via phone, forcing me to spend another grand on an iPhone as my Note was essentially unusable while I was at work. This 3G tower issue creeped up right outside of the return window.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

4 years ago

@notsopleased wrote:

Correct. The unlocked S10 properly registers ims service, but when I try it with an unlocked Note10, ims does not register and VoLTE does not function.

It seems Note10 users were completely screwed over, even though the phone is newer.

Apologies for sounding cranky, but this was impacting my ability to join meetings via phone, forcing me to spend another grand on an iPhone as my Note was essentially unusable while I was at work. This 3G tower issue creeped up right outside of the return window.

@notsopleased 

The s10 series sold 20 times the phones the note 10 series did hence why ATT did it first.  I dont understand why you did not just buy a iPhone 7 or 8 and pop the sim in that phone at work.  Thats just me tho.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

Man, this is really pathetic. Come on ATT, let's get things moving! It's been almost two months now since I first posted here about VoLTE on my Note 10+ and nada, zip, zero change of status. If T-Mobile only had better coverage in my area, you can be sure I'd have kicked ATT to the curb a long time ago.

Wasted effort I know, but ANY updates?

Teacher

• 

28 Messages

4 years ago

Supposedly, by the end of the year, AT&T has to enable VoLTE on all VoLTE capable unlocked devices. It's out of necessity, because they'll be shutting down 3G.

Last month, I placed a call to a landline on my unlocked Galaxy S9 G960U1 on AT&T prepaid. The guy on the other end told me I'm coming through very weak and broken up. The call was to a landline, so I know it was not an issue with the other guy's poor cell reception.

The problem was with my Galaxy S9.The wireless network indicator showed that my cellular call was on the HSPA+ network. HSPA+ is outdated 3G technology. No wonder the poor quality of the call.

That's another important issue with the unlocked Samsung phones on AT&T. With no VoLTE, the calls switch to HSPA+ and once AT&T shuts down 3G, there will be no call at all. Hence, the necessity for AT&T to enable VoLTE on all unlocked VoLTE capable Samsung phones.

Addendum: Before placing the call, my GS9 was showing LTE+. I have no idea why during the call it switched to HSPA+.

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

4 years ago

@jjemil808 Just to clarify, they're mostly just shutting down "activations that are 3G-only", NOT the 3G service, itself (they are slowly re-purposing some of those towers/frequencies though, so 3G proliferation will slowly degrade, to some degree, between now and 2022).

If you have a phone that they think qualifies for VoLTE service (even if it's not the phone you ultimately use on a daily basis), then you should still be able to get activated, for now.

It does seem like things are going to get interesting though, at least, starting in early 2020...

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I would like to know this as well because I need WiFi calling at home due to no service and just because I have an unlocked phone I am unable to use this service!

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

@GLIMMERMAN76  Thanks for that list.

I do have a question regarding the Factory unlocked Samsung models. Last October (2019) we purchased a factory unlocked S10e SM-G970U from B. Buy only to discover VOLTE and WiFi calling were not supported by AT&T for the non carrier branded/software versions.    Specific model was  SM-G970UZBAXAA  where the XAA represents the non carrier model.   So we returned it and got the branded model.    "ATT" for last 3 letters.  

My question is this: does ATT now allow for the "XAA" 970U models to fully IMS  register for these "advanced features"?    

Thx. 

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

4 years ago

The model number for a unlocked 970 should be 970u1 and its on the list for VoLTE.  Android 10 should have introduced VoLTE on the U1 series.

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Not at initial release of 10 on AT&T.   As i said, the 970UZBAXAA (B is for blue, XAA is factory unlocked)  was not advanced features supported late last year on ATT.   My understanding from forums was it was due to possibly  lack of that variant/firmware  being white listed on the AT&T provisioning side of the house.   Just curious if was indeed now supported. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.