AT&T Holiday Deals & Gifts - Don't miss these holiday deals on the latest devices!
The Samsung Galaxy Z Flip4
VatcheG's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Sat, Mar 17, 2018 8:02 AM

At&t Samsung S9+IMEI number you entered doesn’t match an AT&T device for Device unlocking

I recently purchased and received my brand new Samsung S9+. I purchased the phone from Samsung's website, but chose the AT&T option for the carrier. I immediately went to the unlock site as the phone is 100% paid off and it kept saying "Looks like the IMEI number you entered doesn’t match an AT&T device. Try entering it again. Dial *#06# on your mobile phone to make sure you have the right IMEI." I have triple checked the IMEI, I contacted them asking for them to unlock it, sure enough I got an email 2 days later with the same exact response as the site is giving me. We escelated the issue and had a 3 way conference call with Samsung USA support and At&t Level 2 support. Both of the companies pointing fingers at one another. At&t claims that because it was bought through samsung they have the code, and At&t does not have any codes for these devices. Samsung claims that this is indeed an ATT issue and that because it is "Carrier locked" they must have the codes. I took the phone to a company called "UbreakIFix" as they are samsung certified, they said they have never seen this issue before. I have no idea what to do and I cannot use this phone on desired network. No, returning and or exchanging is not my desire at all. 

kelly_a

Scholar

• 

313 Messages

5 years ago

This won’t fix your unlock problem, but since you state you chose the AT&T option when purchasing the phone, have you verified the phone will even work with your desired carrier? Which provider are you wanting to use? I don’t know the specifics of which radios are included in which carrier versions of the S9+, but if you’ll post your desired provider, someone here can verify whether or not they’re compatible. 

ACE - Sage

• 

102.2K Messages

5 years ago

@VatcheG  You still have to activate the phone on ATT and wait till the return period expires (14 days). 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

Hi Kelly, 

I am trying to use the phone on T-Mobile. I have already done my research the phone will work fine. That is also not my issue. My issue is the Phone is locked. 

@lizdance40 I have an AT&T chip in the phone right now, is it forsure 14 days? I thought as long as the phone is paid off it's fine.

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

23.5K Messages

5 years ago

Nope it's 14 days.

ACE - Sage

• 

102.2K Messages

5 years ago

@VatcheG   We’ve said it a few thousand times, “Buy the version for your carrier”, or at least unlocked version.  The ATT version may never work as well on T-mobile and will not update.  After 14 days, and assuming you owe ATT nothing for service, you will have to jump through hoops with Support to unlock the phone.  

@It_1990

Maybe.  Maybe not.  All I can assure is that if you wanted an unlocked phone, buying the carrier version means you have to jump through their hoops to unlock it.  

14 days till return period expires.

60 days for new postpaid accounts

If you use on prepaid you will have to request an exception with proof of full price purchase.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

@It_1990 So you chose not to get the ATT version because it won't have the features you mentioned like VoLTE? So I won't have that if I used T-MOBILE chip in the ATT version?

@lizdance40 The only reason I decided to get the ATT variant is because of price. My buddy got me a code to buy the phone for a bit over 50% off. He is an ATT employee. I'd much rather have a phone that works right now, but over 450$ savings is worth the headache I guess. I just hope I'll have VoLTE on the ATT version if I throw in my T-MOBILE sim. I don't care too much about visual voicemail. Just stinks I can't use the phone this second! Lol. Thank you so much for all the advice from everyone you've made this process so much better 

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

23.5K Messages

5 years ago

Actually you may or may not get volte that's all in the csc file.  I can tell you without a doubt you will never get os updates without being a att customer.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

@GLIMMERMAN76  My buddy has AT&T Would i be able to pop in his sim, do the updates and switch back?

Thank you for the reply! Appreciate your time

ACE - Sage

• 

102.2K Messages

5 years ago

@VatcheG

Yes, you can use a borrowed sim to trigger updates.   My S9 had an update almost immediately.  

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

23.5K Messages

5 years ago

@lizdance40 wrote:

@VatcheG

Yes, you can use a borrowed sim to trigger updates.   My S9 had an update almost immediately.  

@lizdance40

maybe maybe not depends on the brand of phone the friend has...  Updates are still dropped by IMEI....  There is no rhyme or reason to this tho...  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.