Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
orubin

Mentor

• 

49 Messages

Fri, Jul 20, 2018 5:31 PM

AT&T Samsung Galaxy S8 Softwate update when not on AT&T anymore

I moved my phone (Samsung Galaxy S8 model SM-G950U) off the AT&T network some time ago to T-Mobile. (Sorry AT&T, their prices and deals just put you to shame.) What I did not know is that once removed, it would no longer get ANY updates, including needed security updates. It has not taken ANY updates for maybe close to a year!

Because my phone is not on the AT&T network now, it will not get ANY new software updates. My phone is hanging on Android 7.0 at baseband version G950USQU1AQJC, which is WAY OUT OF DATE. T-Mobile says it cannot update an AT&T unlocked phone on their network.

I was told to download Samsung Smart Switch on my PC and phone and that it would do the update. It tells me that my 1 year old out of date software is up to date, which we all know is not true. So in my opinion, my phone is now at a security risk because:

1). AT&T did not disclose that moving the phone off their network would lock it out of any future update. 

2). Does not provide a method for updating the phone that I PAID FULL PRICE FOR AND OWN!

I tried my old AT&T SIM to see if it would get the OTA update, but the SIM is not provisioned anymore (not surprising) and therefore will not update the phone. 

So AT&T, since you sold me this phone without full disclosure, can you please help me find a way to update the software to handle security issues that could put my data and personal information at risk?  Open to suggestions. 

Responses

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

a year ago

I have reached out to t-mobile and they say they can't push an update. I have read all your very informative posts (Thank you) and I am in the same boat. I would love to get a push update from t-mobile so I could update to oreo. Any advice would be appreciated as t-mobile is just saying they can't help

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

20.3K Messages

a year ago

@cyneye wrote:

I have reached out to t-mobile and they say they can't push an update. I have all your very informative posts (Thank you) and I am in the same boat. i would love to get a push update from t-mobile so I could update to oreo. any advice would be appreciated as t-mobile is just saying they can't help

You need to have ATT service to get the updates is the problem..  you can goto a ubreakifix location and have them flash the phone for you.  Note that they may charge a small fee since your device is out of warranty.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
orubin

Mentor

• 

49 Messages

a year ago

I agree with this as well. Before a certain update, I do not recall which one (but out is in this thread somewhere) a phone is locked to the carrier you bought it from, even if the phone is "unlocked for carrier."  While the phone can be moved to a new carrier, the firmware is still carrier locked. I believe this was actually an Android screwup. Then they changed that, so IF you could get one more update from your old carrier, and then bring it back to T-Mobile, it should take all the updates. 

We did the Pre-paid option on one other phone and it eventually worked, but the phone had to be off primary network for some time. I cannot assure you that this will work for you. I would find an AT&T store that will let you put a demo sim in the phone for an hour or so, and then try and do a manual update.  Once that update takes, and you update on T-Mobile the next time, the AT&T start screen will go away, and the overly bright pink T-Mobile start screen will takes it place. 

Good Luck. I agree, it was very frustrating.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

a year ago

Hi Orbin

Thanks for your reply. My husband has a  iPhone 4 with a prepaid (no data) sim card that is active and working. (haha he is not a cell phone kind of guy) Could I not just put his card in my phone and wait for an update. When you say "but the phone had to be off primary network for some time" what is sometime...hours days weeks?

I have  Samsung s7 Active which is currently on Android version 8 Nougat baseband  G891AUCS3BRD1  (April 2018) and my daughter has the same exact phone but her phone is on Andriod version 8, Oero G891AUCU4CRH1 (July 2018) We both switched to t-mobile about 1 year ago (senior plan $70 for 2 lines unlimited data) both are phone still start with the ATT logo. This version of Samsung S7 ACTIVE may have only been manufactured for ATT....I don't know if this will be an issue with getting future T-mobile updates ( their logo) after I get the current update with switching sim cards.    When you say "do a manual update" the only way to do an update on this phone that I can see is tp 1. go to Setting, Scroll to and tap Software update, then Check for updates. 2. Follow the on-screen prompts to download and install the update

to. Currently, when you do this it says the phone is up-to-date and there are no downloads available. Last question; when I update will I lose contacts, phone numbers, photos etc?

Thank you so much for your help

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

20.3K Messages

a year ago

@cyneye wrote:

Hi Orbin

Thanks for your reply. My husband has a  iPhone 4 with a prepaid (no data) sim card that is active and working. (haha he is not a cell phone kind of guy) Could I not just put his card in my phone and wait for an update. When you say "but the phone had to be off primary network for some time" what is sometime...hours days weeks?

I have  Samsung s7 Active which is currently on Android version 8 Nougat baseband  G891AUCS3BRD1  (April 2018) and my daughter has the same exact phone but her phone is on Andriod version 8, Oero G891AUCU4CRH1 (July 2018) We both switched to t-mobile about 1 year ago (senior plan $70 for 2 lines unlimited data) both are phone still start with the ATT logo. This version of Samsung S7 ACTIVE may have only been manufactured for ATT....I don't know if this will be an issue with getting future T-mobile updates ( their logo) after I get the current update with switching sim cards.    When you say "do a manual update" the only way to do an update on this phone that I can see is tp 1. go to Setting, Scroll to and tap Software update, then Check for updates. 2. Follow the on-screen prompts to download and install the update

to. Currently, when you do this it says the phone is up-to-date and there are no downloads available. Last question; when I update will I lose contacts, phone numbers, photos etc?

Thank you so much for your help

You can only get updates for the s7 active from ATT its a ATT only device.  Samsung only started the autoswitching with the s8 series.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
orubin

Mentor

• 

49 Messages

a year ago

GLIMMERMAN76 is correct, what I wrote was about the S8.

Also, as for using the iPhone 4, the SIM for the iPhone 4 is not the same size as the SIM for the S8, so it won't work.  The iPhone 4 uses a Micro-SIM card, while the Samsung S8 use the Nano sized SIM card.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

a year ago

Correct I can't use my husband's micro sim because my Samsung s7 active takes a nano sim...however I went inthe corp ATT store and talked to the manager. He said I could buy a $10 sim card (no minutes) with new ATT number and suggested that I just put that in my phone and wait for the software update via wifi. Do you think that would work? Are minutes on the number required to get update? Has anyone tried calling ATT customer service and asking them to push a software update after putting in a new ATT sim? My daughter also has the exact same model ATT Samsung S7 that was made exclusively for  ATT and it is on the same senior t-mobile Plan ($70 -2 phones unlimited data) with no software updates so I was thinking that I could also use the new sim card to update her phone as well....only $5 for each phone to possible get updated software. Thanks for your input

• 

1 Message

@cyneye

If you have a family member or friend that uses ATT as their service, you can just take their SIM card and put it into your phone, and then update through the settings. This worked for me.

• 

6 Messages

6 months ago

My phone will not get critical security updates either! I have fully unlocked AT&T LG V35 thinQ that was ONLY sold on AT&T and now I use on Cricket who is owned by AT&T. I had T-Mobile unlocked Samsung Galaxy s8 Active that got updates on Cricket. They would download and say 'Thank you for using T-Mobile.' Why on earth can't AT&T do that too. You own Cricket Wireless! Please release updates to at least us Cricket users using AT&T phones.

• 

6 Messages

6 months ago

My phone will not get critical security updates either! I have fully unlocked AT&T LG V35 thinQ that was ONLY sold on AT&T and now I use on Cricket who is owned by AT&T. I had T-Mobile unlocked Samsung Galaxy s8 Active that got updates on Cricket. They would download and say 'Thank you for using T-Mobile.' Why on earth can't AT&T do that too. You own Cricket Wireless! Please release updates to at least us Cricket users using AT&T phones.

Get started...

Ask a new question