Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
The epic new Samsung Galaxy S21 5G is available for preorder now!
orubin

Mentor

• 

50 Messages

Fri, Jul 20, 2018 5:31 PM

AT&T Samsung Galaxy S8 Softwate update when not on AT&T anymore

I moved my phone (Samsung Galaxy S8 model SM-G950U) off the AT&T network some time ago to T-Mobile. (Sorry AT&T, their prices and deals just put you to shame.) What I did not know is that once removed, it would no longer get ANY updates, including needed security updates. It has not taken ANY updates for maybe close to a year!

Because my phone is not on the AT&T network now, it will not get ANY new software updates. My phone is hanging on Android 7.0 at baseband version G950USQU1AQJC, which is WAY OUT OF DATE. T-Mobile says it cannot update an AT&T unlocked phone on their network.

I was told to download Samsung Smart Switch on my PC and phone and that it would do the update. It tells me that my 1 year old out of date software is up to date, which we all know is not true. So in my opinion, my phone is now at a security risk because:

1). AT&T did not disclose that moving the phone off their network would lock it out of any future update. 

2). Does not provide a method for updating the phone that I PAID FULL PRICE FOR AND OWN!

I tried my old AT&T SIM to see if it would get the OTA update, but the SIM is not provisioned anymore (not surprising) and therefore will not update the phone. 

So AT&T, since you sold me this phone without full disclosure, can you please help me find a way to update the software to handle security issues that could put my data and personal information at risk?  Open to suggestions. 

Responses

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

20.9K Messages

2 years ago

@orubin wrote:

Update on the updste: went to an AT&T Store, we put in a provisioned SIM, waited a bit and tried a software update. No joy. Waited a bit longer, still nothing. Thanks to the fine people at the Emeryville, CA store for trying  and being so helpful even though I was not a current customer. That is excellent service  

Back to talking to T-Mobike tech guys. They said they would research a way to try and push an update to my phone. It seem to have been successful. Tonight I got a T-Mobile notice .  I clicked software update and my phone showed a T-Mobile update ready to download. . Looks like  the boot loader went to v2, because I got a new 7.x Android update and after the second reboot, the sim was read and now my phone starts with a T-Mobile logo instead of the AT&T logo.  And I just got notified of more updates available. Seems they figured something out. 

So problem solved. What a nightmare of an issue. Never taking a phone across networks again  

@orubin

glad you got it sorted.  I would say the one updated triggered the switch...

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
orubin

Mentor

• 

50 Messages

2 years ago

Thanks. It was never my intention to contact BBB or sue anyone. 

I have to wonder if putting the SIM in for a short time triggered something, or T-Mobile figured it out. The updates were labeled as T-Mobile software update. 

In any case, I am up to the latest 7.x install. Now the big question, go to Oreo or not? I hear a lot of people complaining about battery life and other issues. So I am on the fence on the new OS. 

Thanks GLIMMERMAN76, you were a great help. Appreciate it. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

Another way to update your phone is by flashing it with odin.i know that custom roms are not as good as original. So u can find an original software rom from Sammobile.com .just enter your device model amd download the respective rom and fladh it with odin.You can also search on youtube to change the software from at&t to F model.However it is not recommended

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

20.9K Messages

2 years ago

Flashing f series software is stupid and reckless since both phones use different socs.   The us version uses a snapdragon and the f series a Samsung exynos.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

Hi,

Could you tell me who you talked to at tmobile. I am having the same issue. 

Thanks

orubin

Mentor

• 

50 Messages

2 years ago

Wow, that was so long ago, I do not recall. 

But what I think really freed this up was getting an active AT&T SIM card put in the phone long enough to get the next update. Once that update was installed, the phone then took the T-Mobile updates from then on. 

I assume that if T-Mobile changed something on the back end, it would have been changed for everyone. So I believe the other SIM kicked this off running.  I just went to AT&T stores until I found one that would help. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

how long did you leave the AT&T sim in for? Having the same issue. @orubin 

orubin

Mentor

• 

50 Messages

2 years ago

I left the AT&T SIM in the unit for about 40 minutes. Nothing happened at that time. I left the T-Mobile SIM out for about 4 more hours while the phone was on WiFi, still nothing. Before bed I put the T-Mobile SIM back in and the next day I got an update. 

All that might just have been a coincidence. You need to get that very first update, and the phone will switch to the other carrier's updates. After the first update my phone booted with a T-Mobile logo, and then took all the next updates on its own. 

Might have all been a coincidence too.  That first update is the critical one. It is also possible that AT&T is no longer sending out that update too. No way to know. 

Jonnytcb

Mentor

• 

36 Messages

2 years ago

This is that I did. I contacted Samsung. They sent me to repair store

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/service/locations/

Went to it, guy did update for free. Took about an hour to update. Working great.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

2 years ago

Wow. The audacity to call this "solved!" Smh.. I have att prepaid too and they treat us like 2nd class citizens. It's WRONG. 

joeldf

ACE - Guru

• 

552 Messages

2 years ago

Well, for the OP, it was eventually solved.  The solution presented is what he ultimately ended up doing - it just took finding the right store to work with.

- Joel
orubin

Mentor

• 

50 Messages

2 years ago

I never said solved for everyone. It was solved for me, the person who started this thread,

I’m sorry this has not worked for,you, but slamming me for saying MY PROBLEM was solved is way off base.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

a year ago

I have similar issue.  AT&T branded, unlocked Samsung Galaxy S9 plus purchased on Amazon, where I'm now on another carrier and stuck at the August 1, 2018 security update with Android 8 when I should be on Android 9 with an August 2019 security update.

Debating what to try next after reading this post:  1) Try to temporarily get AT&T sim to see if would update phone then switch back to my sim; 2) Try again to see if my carrier will find a solution to push an update like your t-mobile carrier did (but they already told me they couldn't; 3) Try factory reset; 4) Try to find OS ROM and flash phone myself; 5) Take to UbreakIfix (Samsungs authorized service) as suggested by Samsung.

When I called both AT&T and Samsung last week, each said sending out updates was the others responsibility and they each said they had nothing to do with it.

Are there any working solutions out there if my current carrier can't help?   And, does anyone know if flashing a phone with a ROM will change my unlocked phones status to "locked" which would be another nightmare.

orubin

Mentor

• 

50 Messages

a year ago

I recommend the SIM path. Worst case you buy a 1 month Pre-paid SIM (with data) and leave it in as long as possible. You only need one update, and after that your provider can "convert" the phone to their network and send other updates. When this happened for me, the next update removed the AT&T startup screen and replaced it with their T-Mobile start-up screen. Which is horrible and VERY bright pink. 

good luck.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

a year ago

I have reached out to t-mobile and they say they can't push an update. I have all your very informative posts (Thank you) and I am in the same boat. i would love to get a push update from t-mobile so I could update to oreo. any advice would be appreciated as t-mobile is just saying they can't help

Get started...

Ask a new question