Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
meremcbear's profile

• 

8 Messages

Wednesday, May 11th, 2022 3:14 PM

AT&T Refusing/Unable to Activate SIM for Unlocked Samsung?

RE-POSTING this for others who may have the same issue, as AT&T made my original post private.

I was mugged abroad and my phone was taken. We got a new SIM directly from the AT&T store within a few days (and reported the IMEI stolen), and I bought an unlocked phone while still abroad from a US-based company. I called in about three times to AT&T (because they required various verification details) and was ultimately told that though I was an authorized user, I was not authorized to 'make changes to the account'. It's a small business account so I asked admin to call in (though they were the ones who had gone in person and got the SIM in the first place). Admin called in and were informed the SIM and new phone were activated. After six days of my phone not working, I called in again and was told that they would not activate my SIM because I could not make changes to the account. Does anyone know what information/personnel is required to activate a SIM on a new phone (unlocked but not purchased on the AT&T network)? I asked AT&T over the phone for this information and they could not tell me what additional steps our small business needs to take to get his phone operational. I feel a bit out in the cold as I have not been able to communicate with friends and family for two weeks now, unless I'm connected to Wi-fi. I desperately need to use the data while I'm traveling tomorrow.

UPDATE: one AT&T employee was able to activate the SIM temporarily for phone calls only, allowing me to place a brief phone call by using this  https://www.att.com/support/article/wireless/KM1062162?msclkid=a7d8f843d09811ecacbaea09cd9d9a62 

(though the phone reverted back to blocking calls, text, and data): He opined that: "the phone will need more apns uploaded for all the features to work" but has not yet advised me how to do that.

Another employee tried to fix this by having my download an app that changes the network I'm on (I believe) then informed me via phone that the issue may be my phone and told me that AT&T no longer provides SIMs that work in unlocked phones as of two months ago. She advised I get a different phone. 

Still trying to get my SIM operational after 2.5 weeks. 

No Responses!
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.