The Samsung Galaxy S24
A

• 

14 Messages

Friday, December 15th, 2023 7:43 AM

AT&T IS HIDING a widespread Samsung S22 SIM card reader problem!

The Samsung S22 has BIG SIM card reader problem and AT&T and Samsung is hiding it from their customers! I've had  problems with my S22 Ultra for over a year. I've spent hours on calls and going to stores replacing SIM cards in an attempt to get my phone to stay connected to the network.

I recently heard from several tech support agents and store reps that this is a big issue and they are hearing complaints from lots of customers about the same thing. This is frustrating considering all the time I have spent over a year and to find out that they are aware of the issue and I was not told until today! That admission came as a result of a slip of the tongue.

I was also told that Samsung was hoping that the latest software update would fix the issue, but I have the latest version (14) and guess what, I am sitting here with the same message on my phone, "You cannot make a call. You are not registered on the network ". I can fix the issue for a few minutes but restarting the phone or toggling the airplane mode to on then off. Then I am re-regiatered to the network for a few minutes and then the connection is gone again. 

Now they are suggesting I replace the defective phone with a new phone. You know, pay an early upgrade fee and buy a new phone to fix their hidden problem. Amazing! I have five phones with AT&T and years of service, but I guess that means nothing.

I need a working phone without having to get penalized for a defective phone. Maybe a (Edited per community guidelines) filing may get a response and admission of the defective product. 

Accepted Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

116.9K Messages

3 months ago

Another user found the solution. He had the antenna replaced for the cost of 40 bucks

https://forums.att.com/conversations/samsung/s22-ultra-512gb-no-network/64d62099015a7d5b3463edeb

ACE - Sage

• 

116.9K Messages

4 months ago

The problem is specifically the S22 ultra, it's not hidden and it is a Samsung problem. If you go to the Samsung forums, you'll see there are many complaints about the ultra specifically. Not the regular S22 or the S22 Plus.

You should have made a warranty complaint directly to Samsung and had them replace your phone.

• 

14 Messages

4 months ago

I didn't make a warranty claim because the SIM card swap worked for about 4 months and then the issues began again. By then I was past my warranty period. I had faith in the solution offered by AT&T. 

• 

14 Messages

4 months ago

And it is a hidden problem if I have been calling for months and troubleshooting with tech support and they act clueless each time. It is also hidden if tons of other customers experience the same issue and are given instructions to restart their phone or reinsert their SIM card as solutions. It is hidden if there has been no public advisories to customers that depend on their phone in emergency situations. There are lots of emergencies that don't go to 911.

ACE - Master

• 

10.4K Messages

4 months ago

I don’t think AT&T is hiding anything.  They are in the business of selling phone service and phones to use with the service.  If something is wrong with the phone or phone software, that’s the responsibility of the manufacturer.  It’s up to the consumer to be informed, same as buying anything else from anyone.  This issue doesn’t seem to exactly be a secret.

• 

14 Messages

4 months ago

That is because you already know about it, as I do now. 

Selling phones and service is good when I am advised to replace my defective phone with a new phone to correct the issue. That is a profitable but unethical business practice. 

(edited)

• 

14 Messages

4 months ago

I appreciate you guys/ladies for responding but I would expect AT&T to respond as well. There is usually silence when there is no answer to an issue other than deflecting to the manufacturer who in turn, either blames it on the carrier or Google. The point is, I pay AT&T each month for the phone and the service. They are the responsible party. 

ACE - Sage

• 

116.9K Messages

4 months ago

They actually are not the responsible party.  Samsung is.  It is why my s22 does not yet have an update. My s22 isn't unlocked version not a carrier version.  Samsung halted the update and has not rolled it out for the 21 series at all because they botched it and they know it.

• 

14 Messages

4 months ago

I received the update yesterday for my S22Ultra. Android version 14. Same issues.

AT&T accepts my payment each month for my service and phone payment. They are responsible for my service and the phone I pay them for. Samsung is responsible for the phones AT&T sells to customers. I am AT&T's customer and AT&T is Samsung's customer. If I change carriers, AT&T loses a customer, not Samsung. 

Yes, Samsung is the manufacturer but AT&T is the company that I interact with and takes responsibility for the troubleshooting of my service and phone. 

ACE - Master

• 

10.4K Messages

4 months ago

AT&T is responsible for providing phone service.  If they can’t provide it due an issue that’s on their end (like cell tower equipment issues) then they are responsible.  But if your phone isn’t capable of receiving their service due a manufacturer’s software update that rendered the phone non-functional, that’s on the manufacturer.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.